1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cecil the lion

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Jul 30, 2015.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Get out your pitchforks and torches, you are going to need them. I may be alone in this, but I really don't care about Cecil or his death. I think the only person being railroaded worse than Tom Brady may be this dentist guy. He has been vilified and had his life ruined for doing something that he thought was perfectly legal. He paid a fee to go hunt a lion and he did so. There are far more people that I despise than this guy. From what I can tell he was a successful dentist, probably helped a lot of people, paid his taxes, probably took care of his family, etc. etc. I would be perfectly OK with having this guy as my next door neighbor. He sounds a hell of a lot better than a deadbeat dad, an ISIS fighter, a drug dealer, and countless other people that are truly deserving of our scorn. I can't help but feel that people are just upset because they somehow like lions. If he had killed a hyena would anyone give a shit?

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It wasn't even that he killed a lion, it was that he killed that specific lion. The guy's a dick, plain and simple. Does he deserve to have his life ruined because of it? Probably not.

People will always be making mountains out of anthills, especially when the media put their spin on the matter. Everyone loves a good witch hunt, right?

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Had to google Cecil the Lion to see what this was about. Seems to me that the hunter is only as culpable as his knowledge. If he thought it was legit and there was nothing to clue him in until after the lion was dead, then I don't see the culpability. If he knew that they were luring a lion out of protected areas or that the lion was "beloved/tourist attraction/protected/collared/etc." then he might very well have some problems. I don't know what happened at the end of the hunt, but it seems to me that if they beheaded the lion and tried to hide/cover-up the body and tracking collar as is being said on some of the sites, then that argues towards culpability, at least for after-the-fact crimes.

In my google search, I saw that there was some issue where he had previously lied to authorities after he illegally killed a bear. You can take that two ways: (1) he has a propensity to do what he wants and lie about it afterwards; or (2) having gotten in trouble for something like this in the past, he would make damn sure to do things by the book to avoid a repeat.

YMMV.

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    We don't know what the applicable law is either.

Did he have to know? Or does the offence include wilfull blindness, something tells you things aren't quite right and you refuse to make further inquiries cause you'd prefer to remain ignorant.

Or is it a regulatory offence? All he had to do was perform the act to be guilty. Was there an onus on him to find out more about what was permitted and what wasn't?

5. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Big Game Hunting is generally a nasty habit. And people doing this for of 'sport' should be looked a bit closer at.
    I agree that the reaction is extreme, but he should still be held accountable for what he did. A hefty fine or revoking his 'hunting license' (if there is such).

Imagine it to be a big deal, especially if the Lion was of Daktari fame. Imagine someone offin' Clarence and Judy.

Here is a bit of Jimmi Kimmel and his reaction on it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Jimmy was spot on. " Jackhole". That one cracks me up.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not sure why you would pay $50,000 for something legit. At least that's the figure I read.

"Yeah ... yeah ... 'course it's legit." The beady eyes of the man looked fervently around the dark and seedy bar before looking again at his client, "Sure, everything's legit. Just $50 large and you can bag your own lion." The man smiled, "Yeah, $50 large. That's the ticket."

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  8. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hunting licenses can get pretty costly depending on the animal and how much red tape you want to go through.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Every time I see Cecil ... I think of Beany-boy.

Nya-ah-aah!

10. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Some people fork over much more money than just 50000$ for other kind of completely legitimate hobbys, regardless if it´s a yacht, a ferrari testarossa
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Testarossa :outta:
    or an old picture painted by an obscure artist or other stuff that was auctioned
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie's#Notable_auctions
    so I see nothing wrong when somone spends a huge sum on his hobby. 50000 really is nothing. That´s not even enough to buy the votes of 1 US state in the next presidential election or to bribe the people programming the machines that add the votes ;)

Hunting is one of the first activities of mankind and a timehonoured profession.
    Just because most people nowadays let others legally abuse animals in an industrial way to get the most foodstuff out of them (so far that modern pigs are prone to heartattacks and are hardly able to walk due to the weight they were bred and fed for), painfully transport them alive across borders for hours and hourse to have yet others butcher them cheaper (instead of killing and butchering them closeby to minimize strain from the transport) and then let yet others pack the bloody gory stuff into a form that looks nice in the shelf of the next supermarket does not mean that people would be doing anything less blameable than a hobby hunter who shoots and cooks a rabbit (with a license to do that of course) and a suitable weapon that quickly kills the animal without unnecessary pain:deadhorse:

Have those two already returned from the grave so that they could be shot?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.