1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Champions of Krynn Trilogy

Discussion in 'Playground' started by kmonster, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

As far as I remember, the game was quite stable and had no bugs except the one with the lock.

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I've already met 3 temporary party members and killed the first traitor and his hobgoblin friends in combat. They got what they deserved. :evil: Sleep is really overpowered while the low level monsters succeed in their saves against hold person far too often.
    My kender can backstab while wearing chainmail. :)
    Turned undead and escaped enemies don't give XP. :o This makes turn undead nearly useless. Is this changed in the later games ?

I guess I could even reach the level cap by fighting respawning monsters in Throtl, but I hope I'll be able to get faster XP later.

Will I need the money later or can I afford to leave loot behind instead of fighting with 3 movement and returning to the outpost again and again to sell it ?

I have one big problem:
    My neutral C/F/M can level up as cleric from 2/3/2 to 3/3/2. She should get 4 HP to have the same 28 HP as the good 2/3/2 C/F/M, but she only gains 1-2 HP, no matter how often I retry. Since my cleric has 18 con, she should gain (8+2):3, thats more than 3 HP. :confused:

I'm now waiting with leveling until she gets levels in other classes, I hope I'll have more luck then. She should gain (14+10):3= 8 HP when leveling both as fighter and cleric at once.

3. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Don't worry. There is enough XP lying around. And believe me: You will be glad that you can turn undead later on.

Well, the most items you will buy are healing potions and mage scrolls. I'd say take the money and leave the heavy loot where you found it. Except if it is magical.

4. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yeah, sleep, hold person and stinking cloud rules the early game. Later sleep doesn't work anymore though... then you need hold person and damage spells. But it's still handy against Baaz draconians, which you'll see everywhere.

Sometimes undead is "destroyed" by turning - then you get the XP, but it seems to happen against zombies and wights only.

In Champions, I think there is enough XP to max your levels out. But not in the sequels.

Jewelry and gems are lightweight forms of cash. Don't appraise them until you need to. Once everyone is equipped with the standard stuff (armour, shield, ranged weapon, melee weapon(s), helm?), and all your mages have got the available spells scribed, you can afford to ditch stuff. Just make sure you get enough ammo for bows. Darts are nice... a mage can kill 3 helpless guys per round with darts.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I'm now able to level up both a cleric and a fighter level with my C/F/Ms, they get up to 7 HP.
    Now I need only 3 HP for leveling up as mage, then the HP are correct.
    But +2 HP cleric/+5 HP fighter/+3 HP mage looks strange. :confused:

6. Blog Gems: 23/31

Yeah, that looks strange. I think you've lost that 1HP permanently... probably due to bad luck with some of the earlier rolls. I think it should be 3/5/2 for c/f/m. It's only 1HP anyways :)

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I've rerolled the level ups a bit more and the first C/F/M finally got 8 HP for leveling as fighter and cleric. It took me quite some reloads but it finally worked for all three. :)

Stuntman likes this.
  8. Blog Gems: 23/31

So how's your progress doing?

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I just don't have enough time to play this game much. :wail:

My party got the solamnic plates and the girdle of giant strength from the knight's tomb.

It's a pity that they couldn't keep the longsword +5. It took me too much time fighting to try this.
    I'd like to know if it is possible to get the items the evil way by fighting your way through, but I'm not patient enough to try it out for myself fighting those ghost hordes. :(

The next visit will be in Jelek. I've already played around there a bit.

The hitpoints the C/F/M get are still too low. They get only a maximum of 9 HP per level instead of 10 and this only if I level up several classes together.
    So if I create new ones in DKoK they will have at least 4 more HP each at level 6/7/6. But I'll probably keep my party anyway.

For comparison: In PoR a F/M/C with 18 con gets even 5+4+3=12 HP/level.

10. Blog Gems: 23/31

I don't think you are allowed to keep the long sword +5... you can't finish the tomb because it is dishonourable to keep it. Fight those spectral minions all you want, but you can't finish the quest. I guess you can "borrow" it... fight your way out and use it to finish other areas, then go back to the tomb to return it. But getting the armour and girdle the normal way is pretty good too and saves the trouble.

I wonder if there might be a cheat way to steal it though... like take it, give to another party member, remove him from party, see if they give you another sword and you can give THAT one back... then when you're done, add the party member back...

11. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I couldn't keep the sword. It disappears when the ghosts attack. :o
    I don't want to dismiss someone with the sword, it feels like cheating.
    My party shall stay together for the whole trilogy.

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

After a (trackmania nations related :) ) break I'm at the game again.
    My knight wears a solamnic plate, but what should I do with the rest ?

Should I keep on carrying the solamnic plates around in my backpack ?

I'd rather throw them away since they are only wasting carrying capacity and aren't even worth a single steel piece. :(

13. Blog Gems: 23/31

Chuck them. Any knight that joins your party comes with his own solamnic plate I believe.

14. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I finally faced the undead knight Sir Lebaum. He went down without any deaths with my party members on the first attempt.
    The battle itself went odd. The characters who approached him first were affected by fear, fled to the corner and started to cast spells at him and do other weird things.

I decided not to save and to test what will follow afterwards.
    I just finished the game without saving any more.

The encounters which followed were too easy, only the guard and a random encounter near it killed 3 of my party members, and this only because I didn't know that I could rest and fix my party even in the final building.

The dragon master and Myrtani were easy for my remaining 3 party memebers, the final fight with the three dragons was a breeze. My level7 knight killed the last two of them in one single round with the dragonlance.

From fighting the undead knight until the end there are many powerful magical weapons, armors and wands but there is no opportunity to identify them.

I have to reload the old save before facing the undead knight anyway, since I don't want import my dead elves to DKoK.

The average XP my party mambers have is a bit more than 300,000, the thief class of my kender is the only maxed out class.

After the final battle my party had to deliver the best equipment.

Are the items you get taken away random ?

I kept the ring of protection +3 and the 2-handed sword +3, but the longsword +3 and the strength raising items were taken away.
    I could probably export my characters just before the final battle in the training hall, but this would be cheating and maybe some of the items would disppear anyway when importing to DKK.
    If I hadn't done the tomb quest, maybe I could get the girdle of giant strength after the finish and keep it for the sequel.

I have some questions about preparing my characters for the sequel:

My multiclass CFMs are only level 6/7/6, that's enough to beat the game but not more than the starting levels at the sequel. If I create new ones there they could have 4 extra HP, 1 for each level gained from the starting levels 2/3/2.

Should I walk around fighting minotaurs for XP or will there be opportunities in DKoK to raise XP faster ? Is possible to get more than a total of 9 HP for gaining a total level for my CFMs with 18 con in the sequel ?

Should I fight draconian patrols in duerghast temple instead for gaining gems from the sivak or isn't money a problem in DKoK ?

Should my party buy about 1000 arrows+1 before exporting ore are they easily obtainable in the sequel ?
    What other magic things should I buy for the sequel ?

[ May 24, 2006, 15:02: Message edited by: kmonster ]

15. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

The items that are taken away are always the same, as far as I remember. You can save before the final battle against the dragons. The items remain in your possession.

16. Blog Gems: 23/31

You won't hit the XP cap in DKoK either, even with a DKoK-created party. But again, you don't need to be at the max level to beat the game.

I'm not sure about the hit points of your C/F/M's. The easiest way to test this is to create one in Death Knights and modify him to max HP and calculate back.

It might be more efficient to fight random encounters in DKoK to boost XP, just because the enemies are higher level and are worth more XP.

I don't ever recall being short of money in DKoK.
    You'll find better equipment in the sequel, so I wouldn't bother buying anything special.

17. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Thanks.

If I'm supposed to give up the items at the end, I'll do it. I'm sure I can beat the sequels without them.

If you calculate back from the starting level the FMCs should get 10 HP/level both in CoK and DKoK, but like I said I get only 9.
    I'll level them up to 7/7/7 before fighting Sir Lebaum and do the rest in DKoK.

I DQoK multiclass fighters only get 1d8 instead of 1d10 HP per level at creation (bug?), so my CFM HP aren't bad in comparison.

My only characters who can learn level 7 cleric or mage spells in DKoK are triple class casters, so I fear I won't be able to cast level 7 spells or deadly level 14 fireballs for a long time. :wail:

18. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I finally finished the game with my full party and tested exporting. Thanks to fighting respawning monsters, they now have about 460,000 XP each, not much more than newly created DKoK characters (210,000).
    The items which you give away after the final battle are always the same, and if you import a savegame or character to DKoK the same items are taken away, which are:

the dragonlance - all potions - all strength raising items - necklace of missiles - periapt vs poison - the special gems (like 1 emerald) - mace of disruption - cloak of displacement

My party could keep all other items like the RoP+3, the swords+3 or the wands.

The PC version seems to handle this different than the amiga version.

I'm still undecided which way I will play the sequel. I'd like to try a just play without solution and reloading, but it's so hard not to try different options out via reloading or to look at the cluebook. (I could have missed something important ...)

19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Since I've started the trilogy recently I thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one and keep quoting stuff from here.

Because I plan on taking my party all the way through the trilogy, I've tried to make sure all race/class combinations can advance to the maximum level allowed in Dark Queen (level 40). Since I also want to reach those nice high-level spells like Heal and Delayed Blast Fireball as soon as possible, I'm going for single-class characters whenever I can. I'll be avoiding Kenders for reasons already outlined (in short, taunt is suicidal)

I've created the following party:
    Human Knight
    Hill Dwarf Fighter
    Qualinesti Fighter/Thief
    Half-Elf Cleric of Mishakal
    Human Red Mage
    Silvanesti White Mage

I've just realised that I have no Ranger. This is because I initially planned to have a Qualinesti Ranger/Thief (since Qualinesti can advance to the max level in both classes) and only realised at character creation time that this combination doesn't exist. Not a big problem, since my Fighter/Thief can still get to level 14 Fighter and as high as he can as a Thief. I'm still very early in the game so can easily dump the pure Fighter and get a Ranger instead. Is it worthwhile doing this?

I've also noticed something while looking at the Dark Queen manual. The XP advancement tables seem to indicate that Knights of the Crown and Sword do not advance beyond level 18, while Rose Knights can advance all the way to level 40. Does anyone have any confirmation of this?

Does a Rose Knight have any advantage over a Sword Knight? They have the same hit points, the same THAC0 advancement (I'm guessing!), the same spell advancement, and Rose Knights need MUCH more XP to advance in level. Even if Rose can advance indefinitely, is there enough XP for him to go past level 18 by the end of Dark Queen (needs 6 million XP, whereas Sword Knight hits level 18 before 4 million XP)

One more thing speaking of Knights. I got the option to upgrade my Knight of the Crown once he hit level 4. At that point, he became a level 3 Knight of the Sword (same amount of XP), and his hit points jumped to a ridiculous 198. I'm pretty sure the HP change is a bug, but would like to know whether there is supposed to be an HP change at all.

[ July 17, 2007, 21:05: Message edited by: Ziad ]

20. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

When my knight changed the order he lost a level and 14 HP (the maximum HP he could have gotten at one level up (18 con)), I guess the reason was that he didn't have enough XP for the same level in the new order.

Knights of the sword or crown in fact can't get higher than level 18.
    According to the manual the order of your knight influences your chance to command NPCs fighting on your side in battles yourself.
    I don't think it is really worth changing orders unless you have reached the level cap.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.