1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Character Contest!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by chevalier, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] In order to help our beloved members ease the endless pain of the last days before Neverwinter Nights 2 is released, we have a contest for you in which you can win three or even six months of SPS subscription (or extension)! Share with us the character you are looking forward to play when the game comes out, using the new possibilities #2 lays before you. It has to include new character options, such as subraces or classes or feats that weren't available in the first game. Submissions will close at 29th October, 23:59 SP server time (22:59 GMT, 17:59 EST), so you have a whole tenday to search the General News forum and the Forum News and pen down a vision of your character, sharing with us what you're looking forward to doing with it. Submissions which qualify will then be entered into a poll for all registered members to choose the winner.

The winner chosen in the poll will receive 6 months of SPS subscription (or extension) and the character will be featured by SP, after finishing the game, as the winning character of this contest! The second and third place holders will receive 3 months.

• Entries must be no shorter than 300 and no longer than 500 words,
    • Submissions must be posted below in this thread by 23:59 on 29th October, SP server time (22:59 GMT, 17:59 EST)
    • There is one submission per person and standard posting rules apply
    • Characters must include character options which are in NWN2 but not in NWN1 or have changed considerably; the more the better and just choosing a character background or taking the 3.5 Ed. ranger is not enough ;)
    Good luck, have fun. ;)

[ October 25, 2006, 11:51: Message edited by: chevalier ]

2. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Can you enter even if the character you want to play won't be coming to life for a long time?

3. chevalier

Media:
    You can. If you win, we'll be asking you kindly to let us know as soon as you've finished the game with it and are ready to answer a couple of questions. ;)

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Interesting idea!

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Well let me begin then.

Name: Cináed, (IMO means «born of fire» in Gaelic)
    Race: Sun Elf (To reflect the «born of fire» name.)
    Class: Warlock
    Alignment: Chaotic neutral
    Energy resistance (Warlock special ability): Fire, Cold (the very thing he harness (sun's might :D ) and its ban)

Cináed was born Angrod Telemmaitë. His birth was remarkable since he was born during a solar eclipse. The elders of his little tribe saw this as a sign of power. Rumours about this strange little boy rose quickly in the village as he grew. People said he could «Harness the power of the sun» and that during his birth the sun bowed to him. As he grew he began to understand his powers. Since his childhood he always thought of the sun as the fuel of his might and a benevolent guardian. He then became the pupil of one of the elders who told him how to effectively use his soul to incredible effects. Angrod then began to understand that his might come from the sun, his abilities were merely the sun's that he harnessed through his soul (or so he thought :p ). as adventures called him he traveled far and wide. In his travelled he became intolerant of creatures that loathed the sun, such as the undead (especially vampires). For that reason he saw those creatures as evil and despicable. A revelation was given to him during one day at sunrise by a benevolent spirit.

«Those who are incapable of loving the sun are its enemies, therefore must be vanquished». Said the spirit,

« who are you? »

« I am a sun’s spirit, a messenger. I came here to tell you your duty. »

«My duty?»

«Indeed, as I’ve said the undead and other creatures who can’t love the sun are its enemies, you must vanquish them. Go then! This new life calls for a new name, you shall be known as Cináed »

« Cináed ? »

« It means born of fire in the old tongue »

« I like that name »

« Go now! Lest your enemy grows strong! »

Thus he bade the spirit farewell and went in search of the undead.

6. True Shinken Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'd love to play a tiefling swashbuckler/tempest on the upcoming Neverwinter Nights 2, even though I don't think it will be possible at all, so I think a tiefling fighter/rogue or ranger/rogue would do the trick, with some leves of shadowdancer thrown in for flavour. He would be Chaotic Good, specialized in kukris and dual-wielding them with deadly accuracy. It would be very good if some feats from Player's Guide to Faerun would be included in the game, such as Fiendish Bloodline, Outsider Wigs or Deeper Darkness, as they all would be of much use to my character. He would worship Tymora, Lady Luck, and contrary to most tieflings would have an at least decent Charisma score (say, 13). Because of his fiendish heritage, he would be shunned be the very people he is trying to help, and as such he would approach life in a very mercenaric way; basically, he would say he does stuff for the money, but in truth he has a good heart.
    Some of his quotes:
    (when hurt) "Nive hit. Now for the counterattack!"
    (battlecry) "Lady Luck, do not protect my enemies from my wrath!"
    (bored) "Yeah, yeah, whatever."
    "Full plate? No, thanks. Too shabby."

Oh, his name would most probably be Shinken. I mean, all my characters are called Shinken...

7. chevalier

Media:
    Thanks for your submission, Ofelix. Congrats on being the first one to post. ;)

Your character also sounds intriguing, True Shinken. Wrap it in some more words (anything between 300 and 500; it's your choice if you prefer to be quick and up to the point or verbose and elaborate) and I'll put you in the poll when the time comes. ;)

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This is such a great idea, Chevalier. Shame I probably won’t be able to play this game for a while, but having a look through the new features has shown a new prestige class (Duelist) that is perfect for me to revive my favourite CRPG character. Here, then, is the proposed NWN2 version of Arya, the character with whom I completed Baldur’s Gate II (then a Kensai / Thief), and Neverwinter Nights: SoU (as a Ranger / Rogue / Shadowdancer). (Apologies to George R. R. Martin, upon whose writings this character is based.)

Name: Arya
    Race: Human
    Class: Fighter (destined for Duelist)
    Alignment: Chaotic Good

Story: Arya was born into nobility, but never desired the life of a courtly lady. She always preferred to engage in the rough and tumble games of her brothers, particularly her half-brother, Jon. As a young girl, Jon gave Arya her own special small light sword to play with. It was then that her father decided that Arya had better have some lessons in how to use the sword, before she hurt herself with it, so Arya spent time learning the strange art of Water Dancing, a mystical style of sword fighting, well suited to a small girl with a thin knife. Arya’s life was turned upside down when her family were betrayed and killed, sending Arya into a life on the run from her enemies. Whilst on the run, Arya travels from place to place; continuing to practice with her sword, hoping that one day she will have a chance at revenge.

Game play: Arya will have high Dexterity but low Strength and Constitution. This will make her a fragile fighter to begin with (she’s just a young girl, after all), with her fighting skills based on Weapon Finesse and good AC. She will also have above average Intelligence, in order to benefit from the Duelist’s INT bonus to AC, when she eventually qualifies for that prestige class. Having a high INT may mean that she has enough skill points available to put into Hide, Move Silently, and Tumble to possibly qualify as a Shadowdancer as well, which should complement her fighting style. Alternatively, depending on the finer details of exactly how each of these classes is implemented in NWN2, Arya’s main base class may be Ranger instead of Fighter, reflecting her focus on stealthiness and her love of wolves. In any case, Arya will be all about grace, balance, and quick wits, rather than out and out power, and most of her levels will eventually end up in the new prestige class of Duelist. Arya’s Charisma is likely to be no more than average, as she is quick to anger and slow to trust people, so she’s not the most diplomatic person around.

9. chevalier

Media:
    Thanks, Harbourboy. That's quite a nice and up to the point introduction to an interesting character. Hope to see more entries like this. Good luck to you as well. ;)

10. chevalier

Media:
    Four days remaining. Do we get more entries? ;)

11. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Just for the heck of it, decided to post my character from one of the RPs in BoM although I'm not too sure what the contest is though. Sorry if its too long.

Name: Zhou QiShu (She is from the eastern regions, Kara-Tur maybe)
    Race: Human
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Class: Fighter/Thief multiclass (Weapon master or Shadowdancer prestige)

Story:
    As a young girl, she witnessed her family brutally slaughtered by agents of the Black Rose Clan after her father, an officer of a small province meddled in their affairs one too many times. Her mother hid her in the kitchen as the three killers stormed into their home and, after watching them murder her mother, in her fury she leaped out of the cupboard she was hiding in with a kitchen knife in her hand, attacked the surprised assassins. She managed to wound two of the assailants before she was stopped by the leader of the attackers. Admiring her bravery and skill, she took her into the clan. She was then made into the killing machine that she is. However, 8 ago she was sent to slaughter a family of wealthy businessman who has made many enemies who want him dead. After she has killed all but the young daughter of the businessman, she was reminded of her own bloody past and could not bring herself to finish the job. Because of this, she has been marked for death by her own clan. While she has a dark and bloody past, she has laid low for many years, and now not many people know of her past connections with the vile clan.

Character: Dual wields a pair of short swords. Being an assassin, she has high Dexterity with average to low Strength and Constitution. She is quite cunning so her Intelligence is average, but she lacks Wisdom due to her lack of exposure outside her clan. She also has low Charisma despite being very attractive due to this. Her alignment is true neutral and not evil because she follows the orders of her clan (or be killed) and does not kill out of pleasure. Being an assassin, her skills would be in the stealthy ones.

12. chevalier

Media:
    The contest is about NWN2, so while your character has a great feel to it, you need to introduce a new element to take part in the poll. Think about a prestige class or subrace or something else that wasn't in NWN1. ;)

13. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Sorry about the previous post. Here is the new edit.

Name: Vanessa
    Race: Tiefling
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Class: Rogue (Shadow Thief of Amn prestige class)

Story:
    Vanessa was abandoned in the slums when she was just a child (when her demonic heritage manifested; she has fangs, red crimson eyes, red fiery hair) and grew up never knowing her true origins. Growing up alone in the shady side of town, she had to rely on pick pocketing to make a living, using her dexterity and small frame to her advantage. One day, she unwittingly picked the pocket of a shadow thief and did it so skillfully that it took him some time to realize that his pouch of gold was gone. The man gave chase but she proved to be too agile and fast, constantly zipping through the crowd and tight corners before disappearing into the shadows. The enraged thief told his superior and the man, intrigued, approached (hunted down) Vanessa and gave her an ultimatum, join them or pay the price for crossing with the shadow thieves. Without much of a choice, she joins them, and they trained her in the arts of subterfuge and murder. Due to her past, she always look out for number one; herself. She is also a cheerful person, always looking on the bright side, which gave her the will to survive when she was abandoned in the slums.

Character:
    Vanessa prefers to use guile and persuasion and avoids direct combat, thus she has a high Dexterity, low Constitution and low Strength. She uses a short sword and throwing weapons when need be, but prefers to talk her way out or sneak away (high stealth and avoidance skills, average pick pocketing). Her Intelligence is high and her Charisma is average despite being a Tiefling as her infernal features are not too obvious and she usually wears a hood. She is a witty and persuasive character, and if need be, will use the stigma attached to her race to intimidate others (high persuasion/diplomacy, average bluff and intimidate). She constantly has to fight her demonic urges, which distracts her giving her low Wisdom.

[ October 26, 2006, 14:33: Message edited by: Faye ]

14. chevalier

Media:
    [​IMG] Look. I've just said it's limited to new character options from NWN2. This means that it has to include something you can find in NWN2 but you couldn't in NWN1. Firstly, you missed the new part. Both Weapon Master and Shadowdancer were in NWN1. Secondly, this has nothing to do with any D&D supplement books. The opening post says you are expected to play this character in NWN2. How can you play a Complete Warrior character in NWN2 if the game doesn't even have the class? Please read the rules and make sure you understand them before posting. If you have any more doubts, please PM me instead of posting here.

Now please make your character with something new from NWN2 and update your entry. I'm not going to rewrite it for you and I'm not going to allow any entries that don't abide by the rules. Any next person who wants to add or change something in his or her entry is kindly requested to edit his or her original post. Entries not conforming to the rules at the closure of the contest will simply be disqualified.

15. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Dragging her dinner behind her through the dusty sand road, Lynne was scanning the horizon for possible threats. Even though West Harbor was but a tiny sleepy village, she felt ill at ease. The Strongheart halfling had never been able to shrug off the imminent feeling of suffocation communities and gatherings of any sort invariably gave her. She quickly relaxed upon seeing a screen of leafy ferns that were waving calmly in the evening breeze and with some rustling disappeared into the forest. After a minute of standing in place and examining the surroundings, the halfling woman snapped out of her trance and started climbing up a path leading to the southern part of the woods. The tiny figure continued the journey silently until she toppled over all of a sudden, breaking the fall with her palms. With a scream, Lynne rolled to the side. After a few moments of anxious panting, she scrambled to her feet and threw a few scared glances around. A giggle escaped her mouth before she abruptly covered it with both hands. Better not to make too much noise in the forest. Lynne’s dinner, a well-grown hare had come to be stuck behind a shiny metal object. Halfling curiosity took over, and before she knew, she was kneeling down and digging into the soil to free the peculiar item. It wasn’t long before her agile fingers found the hilt of the dagger. After she had dusted the blade with her apron, she admired it pensively for a while. “A…dagger?” Lynne thought “Should be good for cutting meat.” She reasoned pragmatically. With a chuckle, she dropped the dagger into one of her many pockets and went further up the path. As dusk approached, Lynne felt her hand sliding down into her pocket. She jerked it back irritatedly, but found it was crawling back more and more determinedly until at long last, her cramped fingers clasped around the sparkly hilt. “By the gods!” the stubborn halfling mumbled and tried to wring her fingers open. Tears of exasperation welled up into her amber eyes as her mind was flooded by portrayals of cruel fighting scenes, images of dark chambers full of secrets, slayed companions and overflowing treasure vaults. The little Strongheart halfling lost consciousness however, to a portrait of a majestic bear hiding in the foliage…

Name: Lynne

Class : ranger to get prestige class: duelist (to wield that funny dagger extra efficiently) and a bear companion of course. :p

Race : Strongheart halfling

Alignment : Chaotic Good

Lynne is supposed to be a stubborn and at times grumpy force of good, getting more and more confident about her adventuring skills as she proceeds. The dagger will be her main weapon, next to the bow. As much as she will change throughout the game, she’ll never forsake her love of the lonely life in the woods with her animal friends.

16. chevalier

Media:
    Thanks, Uytuun. Another nice character we have here. ;) More, please, more! There's still some time left. ;)

17. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Ok, let's give it a try (NWN2 will never run on my PC but anyway)... ;)

Name: Helldritch

Race: Planetouched (Tiefling)

Alignement: Chaotic Evil

Class: Warlock 13

Prestige Class: Blackguard 3 [later on, not sure how this would work out with the requirements: evil BaB +6 Hide 5, Knowledge (religion) 2 Cleave, Improved sunder, Power attack- the high BaB and the fact that Hide is not among the Warlock's skills which means it wouldn't be before level 13 that one level of Blackguard could be taken, but the Aura of Despair at level 3 looks real nice for this character.]

Description: Helldritch is a tall human looking male whose origin are only betrayed by his glassy black eyes and a very pale skin.

Helldritch is the result of a long line of witches and demons. He was nurtured and taught to worship Evil and to embrace the Darkest powers of Hell.

He is dedicated to a life of corrupting the pure and innocent and destroying what is good in the world. He only lives for mayhem and carnage, playing at wreaking havoc wherever he goes. His power grows as his soul becomes more and more tainted by the darkness that is his true heritage and birthright.

Helldricth despises weakness and what he sees as weakness (i.e. caring for others, human feelings, compassion). He is entirely dedicated to gaining more power and he embraces an entirely evil outlook on life.

Helldritch doesn't like to wear heavy armours, his light armour is made from sentient creatures' skins and bones. He doesn't like weapons which he finds to be too crude for his refined tastes. He prefers to rely on the Eldricth Blast and the power of his invocations. Yet when he gets cornered he uses a dark wooden staff with an obsidian pommel which had been crafted for him by a dwarf devoted to his Dark Lord of the Abyss.

He was raised by three sisters, three witches who all acted as his mothers and always claimed that they begot him together. He had to sacrifice them to the powers of Darkness, respectively killing them with earth, fire and water thereby mystically harnessing the fiendish powers over the elements (gaining a resistance to fire and electricity).

Heldritch believes his "Unholy Father" talks to him and guides him on the Path of the Damned... There is no telling whether this claim is true or not, one thing is certain, the Warlock believes that he has been chosen to become a champion of Evil, vileness and villainy. :evil:

18. chevalier

Media:
    Thanks, Caradhras. ;) Do I see more coming? :D Come on, it's only 31 hours to go. :D

19. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Oh, alright then, I guess I should give it a go. ;)

Name: Obscurion
    Race: Tiefling
    Class: Warlock
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Description: Obscurion is tall and slightly tanned. He has a mane of long black hair that hangs halfway down his back. He gazes intently through a pair of amber, wolf-like eyes and has a slight point to his ears. Many people feel inexplicably uncomfortable around Obscurion and some believe there is often a slight shadow around him, as if the air itself wished to shroud him from view.

Background: Obscurion’s earliest memories were of the woods near his foster parents’ home. They had resided in a small village out in the country, enjoying the tranquillity that isolation brought and the surrounding countryside had provided a vast area for their adopted son to wander through. Obscurion’s foster father was a mage, quite a powerful one by all accounts. His passion was for the Planes and their residents, an interest that led him to take in the young tiefling upon finding him alone on a cold mountainside. In time, however, what had started as a subject of study became very dear to his heart and he did all he could to encourage the young boy to read in order to broaden and strengthen his mind. Obscurion had never shown any desire to mix with the other children of the village, a fact which his father was eternally grateful for- he felt it was for the best to keep the tiefling apart from the superstitions and fears of the small community.

In the end, his father’s obsession with the Planes proved to be his downfall- while gating in a daemon in an attempt to learn more of his son’s heritage, he made a minor error in his circle of protection. The enraged fiend wasted no time in exploiting the opportunity and slew the careless mage, before running amok among the small community. A group of Paladins and Clerics of Helm soon responded to the incursion and banished the creature back to the Abyss, but not before it had laid waste to the surrounding countryside. Upon finding a now adult Obscurion unconscious under a pile of rubble and sensing his unusual aura, they placed him under armed guard while slowly returning him to health. However, they had reckoned without the determination of the tiefling who soon used his fiendish heritage to call in a veil of darkness, under which he made his escape.

Since the incident, Obscurion has wandered across the face of Faerun, never welcome for long in any community. Despite the loss of his home and possessions, he felt that his foster father had left him with two important gifts- a burning curiosity for the Outer Planes and an immensely strong and focussed mind. With this, he slowly began to master the power of his ancestry and took his first steps upon the long path of the Warlock.

20. chevalier

Media:
    Thanks, Decados. ;) Now we have two warlocks. Didn't think the new base class would attract such interest. Do we get any more? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.