1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Character help

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Enagonios, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Remember you've got to have one level of Bard or Sorcerer in order to be a Dragon Disciple. Keep in mind that the main class you pick will have to be your race's favored class.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i checked out the link to the bioware epic builds and i'm still trying to decide between the "Blade Juggernaut" with Bard15/Cleric15/RDD10 and the "Whirling Death" with Bard23/Weaponmaster7/RDD10. What do you guys think?

I also looked at an old thread and saw an idea for a Sorcerer1/Paladinx/RDD10 that DR was talking about and it sounded pretty good, how would I build that char though?

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The problem with those uber builds is that they often only work at level 40 and can be tricky on your way to level 40 (which you'll never get to anyway).

For me, the toughest part of the game is the levels below 10 so I focus mostly on what my character will be at those levels. So, if you insist on silly characters like a Paladin / Sorcerer / RDD, then I would take my first 10 levels in Paladin, because that one sorcerer level is completely useless, except to open up access to RDD.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It's not silly at all, it's a very powerful build. If you put it only one Paladin level that is :p

@Enagonios: I thought you wanted a melee build - Bard/Cleric sounds more like a magic build to me. You could always go for a Bard/RDD, which will be fun to play and quite powerful if you choose the right spells.

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Agreed, those munchkism builds arent suitable for OC and first time through at all!

They're very often not playable 1-40, they're intended for lvl40. As HB said, you wont get there anyway, so its pointless to follow most of them.

Blade juggernaut defines buffing in NwN. You neither need nor want that kind of insane buffing in OC. You'll end up not using none at all, simply because you dont need it. You can solo a melee sorc with only a few basic protection spells without any real problem. Or say, a pure fighter with nothing but slashing through everything. Walk in the park anyhow. On one hand it gives you freedom to play any char you want, on the other, if you build your char anywhere near of what he/she could be, it eliminates the purpose of "enemies as a challenge".

My advice:
    Get a clear idea of a character, before thinking how to fashion him through NwN rules. It's much more fun than following other people's builds (not really characters... more like a bunch of numbers).

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

hmm, I'll give it a bit more thought then let you guys know how I'm playing it through.

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I did play a Fighter X/Bard 1/RDD 10 on my first run through the OC and HotU. It worked just fine for me, and it was a lot of fun too. Also, it has been pointed out on several occasions (and that's only in this topic) that you can play a melee sorcerer through the OC because it's so easy. Would it not follow then, that any build, no matter how unbalanced your build is at low levels, will do just fine?

Not only that, I do believe that some people, under the guise of role playing, have played through the OC or any other campaign with a build that is not powerful at any level, least of all at level 40.

8. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The fighter X/bard 1/RDD 10 is a tried and tested melee powerhouse...but if you're looking for something similar, a fighter/weapon master/?? is powerful early game all the way till the end game

9. Gothmog

Got me here :lol:
    Indeed, i am contradicting myself. Bashing those builds and saying how easy OC is at the same time. Should be no problem playing single player campaign with an epic build. You wont reach lvl40 in OC though, so you're kinda missing the point of playing with an Uber build. In the end, it's each persons decision what he likes best.

Fighter X/bard1/RDD 10 is a pretty straightforward and good build. You're meleeing all the way, and there arent any lvl ranges at which you're not effective.

10. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Here's a simple question. Exactly at what level did your characters (any class or combo) ended up after going through OC-SoU-HotU?

11. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I must admit that I never do silly builds as HB calls them, the strangest one I ever did was my first solo Sorc X/Rogue 6/RDD 10 I added the rogue levels in the OC, and then added the RDD levels in the expansions. I liked him, the rogue levels were enough for almost every trap and lock in the game with judicious use of potions etc. The RDD levels for a Sorc are self-explanatory, but to add them to a Pally or Fighter build, not for me that's silly.

Now a Druid X/Bard 1/RDD 10 now that could be fun! :hmm:

Has anybody found any good Prestige Classes for Druids?

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Shifter.

13. Gothmog

Shifters are fun!

I still cant decide whether i like wizards or shifters better :)
    Wizards are easier to make and play though. Shifters really require a lot of knowledge and attention to make the best of them. Not to mention shapes "change" over the patches. I'm still struggling to come up with a shifter build i like. The most "powerful" is almost beyond doubt Zelle's shifterwith a few modifications (strenght wisdom and a few feats modified). It has all the shapes, all druid spells a monk level for AC&unarmed attacks - though at lvl40, when your career is finished already. I prefer to take a level at clvl21, so i end up with a level of druid less. Deflect arrows against a caster level, probably not worth it, but it's much more playable in epic.

Well, i guess it's one of the better things about the shifter, the flexibility of the build. Tertiary class, the most common is a monk, a rogue or a warrior class is also fairly standard. Exotic builds like druid5/wizard24/shifter11 focusing on Raksasha shape, others going for Risen Lord, using dwarven defender levels. Some weird ones using devcrit in epic kobold commando shape.

I've yet to find my favourite :)

14. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

And yet in NWN 2 the class has been removed :wail:

Still I'm thinking of playing it all again, so I'll try a shifter out

15. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    You shouldn't play through them like that- SoU was designed for a level 1 character, so using your OC one would be total overkill.

My OC one was either level 16 or 17 last time I played right through. SoU was about level 12 and HotU was 27/28. It really depends on whether you take a henchman to suck away your experience.

That being said, the last time I tried the OC I stopped in Luskan with a level 7/7 Fighter/Mage. Got bored so I never finished (or worked out how I had managed to get so many levels).

16. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You're not really supposed to take the same character through OC-SoU-HOTU.

One for the OC (and finish at around 16 I think) and a new one to start SoU and continue into HOTU (and finish at 27).

This is a common misperception. Take all the henchmen you want, summon all the pets you want -- or solo, you'll still finish all three campaigns at the same level. XP rewards are based on your level, so everything evens out in the long-run. Sure, soloing might get you to level six slightly sooner than someone who has a henchmen, but only slightly sooner, and you'll both finish the campaign at exactly the same level.

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Not true actually. Playing through all the side quests, my monk (with companions) ended up at level 27. My solo Paladin hit level 28.

Part of the reason for this is because quest experience does not change to your level. While the experience for killing a creature goes down per level, you will get the same quest experience regardless- so experience from this source is unaffected by you being a higher level.

While the difference is not that large, it makes a difference to the end level of my characters. Besides, it is nice to hit higher levels faster.

18. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Seconded.
    Shifters, obviously. I'm clearly biased though. I have always prefered melee characters, above clerics and mages. Having to sleep all the time is bothersome. And what could bring more versatility to melee fighting than a Shifter? Every fight another form (well, not really as I tend to stick to just a few, but if you wanted to, you could), which brings a different playing style with it.

Not nearly the powerhouse my other builds were, but a lot of fun to play, and should you run into a lot of trouble, you can still cast some buffs. I rarely do, though.

19. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm playing the OC with with a Sorcerer/RDD. Level 5/2. As XP there are things that do affect what you do and don't get. When I have a summoned creature, a NPC, or my familiar I receive less XP. XP is given based on the difficulty of the monster and I find arcane character gain more XP for kill because they tend to have more difficulty with characters. This of course might not be the same in the expansion, but for the OC it is. I saved my character at Level 4. That is the character I going to play the expansion with.

My goal though is to build a Sorcerers/RDD/Pale Master.

20. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Do you mean SoU or HotU?

Although, to be honest, it doesn't really matter which one you meant- level 4 isn't appropriate for either. It is too much for SoU where you should start at level 1 and if you are going for HotU then you will have to level up to 15 as you are too low to start the adventure. In this case you may as well start with a new character.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.