1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Character suggestions

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Kaervas, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Kaervas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello everyone.

I'm playing the game for the first time and decided to make a Fighter 7/Cleric X.

So far so good, the thing is a killing machine. The problem is that I have an abundance of clerics (Jaheira, Aeire and me) and it's getting quite boring.

I've decided to try something different and was thinking of doing a Fighter/Thief dual class.

Is Berserker 7/Assassin possible to make? My plan was to backstab for a lot of damage, pop out of stealth and go to town with dual longswords/katanas/swords.

Thanks for the advice.

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    You can't dual to a kit but you can dual from one. So you can create a Berserker 7/Thief X but you can not dual to Assassin.

Another thing, why not wait until level 9 before dualing? You'll get an extra proficiency point that way, and in the end you'll only lose about one level as a thief, which you won't miss.

(If you really want a Berserker / Assassin, you can of course download Shadowkeeper and edit your character.:))

3. Kaervas Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the answer.

Right now I'm between Half-Orc Fighter/Thief and Human Berserker/Thief.

I'm planning on using a 4 man party because managing 6 characters is bothersome (pathfinding issues, above all) and I'm going to ignore Aeire (can't stand the constant nagging).

I'll probably pick Jaheira, Minsc and a mage.

What would suit me best? I've also installed the tweak that allows multiclassed characters to go beyond specialization.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Download Shadowkeeper, it can be found here. Create a Half-Orc Fighter/Thief. Then SK him to Fighter/Assassin. A truly awesome slayer.

5. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Try a Shapeshifter- highly underestimated, and loads of fun. You can always dual class from fighter if you want to be even more fearsome. There's also a mod to make the werewolf form even more powerful.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

For your NPC Mage, try a mod character if you are sick of Nalia/Aerie/Immy/Edwin/Jan. There are plenty out there. Kelsey is a very well done mod IMO. He is a Human Sorcerer. He is not over-powered. The Xan mod is pretty good. With class changing options for Xan as well upon install. Neither mod is game-changing otherwise. Evil NPC-Mage mods include Tsujatha-Elven Necromancer, Ninde-Human Necromancer, Taisha-Elven Sorcerer, Tyris Flare-Human DC Fig/Mage, The Undying Mod adds Ninafer-Elven F/M. Look around, there are tons of NPC mods out there as well as here on SP.

7. WurstBane

WurstBane Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'd go easy with mods for the first time. Fixpack with tweaks only.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If this is your first time playing the game DON'T DO ANY MODS! DON'T MESS WITH Shadowkeeper (unless to make a favorite pnp character). Shame on you Blades for recommending someone pollute their first time.

Decide on good or evil -- decide whether you would rather be the selfless hero or the guy out for himself. The game was basically written for the protagonist to be a hero -- but it has flexibility to be the selfish bastard as well (evil does not mean psycho).

Minsc is good (alignment and as a fighter) and Jaheira (although neutral) is also basically good, an evil protagonist will not make them very happy. Jaheira has one of the best plotlines in the game. A fighter/thief is fun to play but I would not recommend a half-orc if you're going to have Jaheira. For a mage you'll have several good options and will eventually hook up again with Imoen.

You have four romances: good, neutral, evil and one dude for the ladies (he's not really particular). They are listed in the spoiler:

Aerie is the 'good' romance, Jaheira is the 'neutral' romance, and Viconia is the 'evil' romance -- although as long as you don't have reputation issues you can romance any of them with any alignment. They do have race restrictions. Anomen is the only romance for the ladies.

Having more than one of the romance ladies in the party is fun for the cat fights.

I would strongly recommend you taking Yoshimo for your first time through -- he adds a lot to the plot. Don't just drop the NPC's -- do their quests with them alongside. You can then decide which ones are most suitable.

Dialog is a nice feature in this game: Jaheira has the most dialog written into her character. Romance characters add a lot as well. Minsc has great interactions with all the npcs. Edwin has probably the funniest subplot in the game (if you take him - LET HIM KEEP THE BOOK).

The easiest class to play in the game is probably the Undead Hunter (Paladin) or Barbarian while a sorcerer or mage are the most powerful by the end of the game.

MrMermaid likes this.
  9. Kaervas Gems: 1/31

Thank for the responses. I've finally decided to go for Berserker/Thief dual class. The 1/2 orc paperdoll was hideous.

I've managed to roll 18/95, 18, 18, 11, 10, 6, placed 5 points in longsword for the grandmastery and 1 in two weapon style.

I've installed the G3 Fixes, Tweaks (mostly unlimited stacking) and Unfinished Business mod.

I'll follow the advice posted here and dual class at level 9.

10. Blades of Vanatar

(...I hold my head down in shame and walk away....)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.