1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Class specific/stats specific XP?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by ConjurerDragon, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    While reading through older threads I found some mentions of class specific XP and stat specific XP.

Some that I already missed (speaking to the seawoman with a bard in Easthaven, convincing the drunk sailor to stop drinking with a high enough INT instead of spending the money buying him a bottle to gain less XP), some that I gained without knowing why (converting someone with my Paladin to the faith of Illmater in Kuldahar) and some that I gratefully gained after reading about it by placing my cleric/ranger in front position when speaking to the bone dancer in Kresselacks tomb about necromancy.

However is there a complete list of those instances in the game and it´s expansion?

Edit: Perhaps I should mention that I want to reap as much XP as possible because I want to play the game through with a party of 6 of which 4 are dual-class and without those "hidden" XP those won´t get far at the end of the game.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  3. ConjurerDragon

Media:
    Nice! Thankyou, I never suspected that by playing on racial prejudices a gnome speaking to the generic "townspersons" could gain some trout or that a dwarf could gain a gem simply for speaking with another generic townsperson about Dorn´s Deep or lot´s of other instances of extra XP or loot :D

---------- Added 2 hours, 8 minutes and 28 seconds later... ----------

I started a new game to see the different ways to solve some quests but I stumble already with the drunken fisherman.

My gnomish Fighter/Illusionist with INT 19 is intelligent enough to have a dialog option I have not seen before that tells the fishermen that he does not actually NEED to drink to be a good fisherman and he might be a better fisherman and enjoy his golden years blabla - but there´s no further option to talk him out of drinking and it´s only get a bottle or not in the next choice. Perhaps with a CHA of 14 he can´t persuade him.

However my charismatic Bard (CHA 18, INT 17, WIS 14) or my wise Cleric/Ranger (WIS 18, CHA 15, INT 14) don´t even get the first option when I reload and try again.

Does anyone know the exact conditions under which the extra option appears? Perhaps a combination of INT 18 and CHA 18? Or does it have to be an intelligent priest?

Edit: I got him to stop drinking. I just had to ask first why the bartender would not sell him wine anymore and THEN point out that alcohol is bad for him. Immediately picking the option to let drinking be lead to nowwhere.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You can determine the exact conditions a choice will appear if you download and install Infinity Explorer, tell it the path to Icewind Dale (or any of the Infinity Engine games of the Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale series along with Planescape Torment) and examine the dialog trees. The one in question is DOLDJED.
    It says that you need an INT greater than 15 and a CHA greater than 14.

==
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for life.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  5. ConjurerDragon

Media:
    I found the dialog but only because you mentioned the name DOLDJED. That database is huge and hard to read if you don´t know where to look.

Do I read that right that a Paladin does have a special answer "..see a priest" to give but that that doesn´t actually solve the quest?

Edit:
    Is there ANY solution to solve the headaches of the goblin marshal similar to the ogres headache? I don´t find any positive ending in that dialogs lines...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    To figure out which dialog, look at the name of the character you are trying to track down. In Icewind Dale, they tend to start with "D" so ignore the first letter, but that is not the case in Baldur's Gate.
    Sometimes it isn't so easy, in which case a more round-about but easier way to figure out which dialog to figure out which CRE file is for the character you want (the various Keeper programs such as DaleKeeper for IWD or Shadowkeeper for BG2 are usually the easiest way to figure it out if the CRE file isn't obvious), open it up in Infinity Explorer and click on the "AI" tab. Near the bottom is "Dialog".
    Click on the blue (or purple if you have opened it before recently) hypertext to open up the appropriate dialog, and remember which filename is written there so you can find it again directly next time.

P.S. If anybody knows how to get the search to work in Infinity Explorer to find the CRE for a specific creature based on their in-game name, please post back as I've never gotten the search to work for anything but scripts.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.