1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cleric or Favored Soul?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Munchkin Blender, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

After playing around and learning the controls I am now ready to start playing NWN2 the OC. I have played a Drow FS up to level 4 to learn the game mechanics. Below are two builds, Cleric and a FS that I am considering playing throughout the OC; both builds are being designed to have access to improved two weapon defense and fighting feats. Which one would you choose and why?
    Race: Drow
    Class: Cleric
    Alignment: LG
    Deity: Tyr
    Domains: Luck & War
    Stats: STR 14 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 12 WIS 14 CHA 12
    Level 1 Feat: Two Weapon Fighting
    Level 3 Feat: Two Weapon Defense

Race: Drow
    Class: Favored Soul
    Stats: STR 14 DEX 15 CON 14 INT 12 WIS 12 CHA 15
    Level 1 Feat: Hero’s Luck
    Level 3: Two Weapon Fighting

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I`d chose the favored soul. Since your cleric char has a way too low wisdom score to be very effective.

3. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Munchkin blender, a Cleric needs wisdom to cast spells, to gain access to lvl 9 spells a cleric needs a wisdom of 19. secondly a clerics spell DC is determined by the wisdom modifier, whichs is +1 for every even number after 10.

thirdly, I wouldn't dualwield with a Cleric or an favoured soul. you need a dex of 19 to gain access to greater dual wielding (and a staggering 25dex for perfect)

4. Bronze Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

While I like Favored Souls because they get free weapon mastery feats (corresponding to their god's favorite weapons), I think they do not get spontaneous casting, which can save lives, especially in Storm of Zehir.

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

As for the dual-wielding; I am selecting only the improved feats because two extra attacks a round is better than nothing and with the improved two weapon defense feat you also pick up a +2 to AC.

The character I am creating is for the OC and MotB. When I play SoZ I plan to play a Ranger. Since I just picked up SoZ the race selection now includes Yuan-Ti. With the Yuan-Ti race you loose the ability to select the Hero's Luck feat; however, you do not receive a -1 to all saves, skills and attack rolls the drow receives when in day light, you receive a +1 natural AC and there is no negative to any ability score. With that all being said, below are the Yuan-Ti characters for the cleric and favored soul...

Race: Yuan-Ti
    Deity: Tyr/Kelevmor
    Domains: Luck & War
    Stats: STR 14 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 12 WIS 16 or 15 CHA 12 or 14

Class: Favored Soul
    Stats: STR 14 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 12 WIS 12 CHA 17

With the two above I'm not sure which way to go. The Cleric will have access to the DoomGuide Prc, turn undead and also gains a +1 to AC and saves; however, as the Favored Soul advances in levels he will gain resistance to 3 forums of engeries which can be benifical in later levels and the Divine Champion Prc will work well with the Favored Soul class because of the high Wisdom.

What I like about the Favored Soul is you do not need to prepare the spells; however, the cleric is able to select from all the spells but must prepare them or he will not have any spells to cast.

Both have their advantages and that is why I am uncertain of which character to play.

If I do play a cleric I am open to see what other players would select for their second domain; I will not take the War Domain if I go the DoomGuide Prc route.

***Edit***
    Start off as a cleric with the Sun and Undeath domains, select Great Fortitude as the first level feat. This character is now setup to level up as a Doomguide at level 5. At level 3 select the two weapon style feat and at level 6 select the weapon focus bastard sword feat. From level 5 until level 14 level up as a Doomguide. From level 15+ level up as a Divine Champion. The character would have the following stats...

STR 14 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 12 WIS 15 CHA 14

Thoughts on my modified build?????

---------- Added 22 hours, 29 minutes and 12 seconds later... ----------

I decided to with the following character.

Deity: Tyr (Kelevmor at level 6)
    Domains: Sun & War
    Stats: STR 14 DEX 16 CON 12 INT 12 WIS 15 CHA 16
    Level 1 Feat: Great Fortitude
    Level 3 Feat: Extra Turning
    Level 6 Feat: Toughness

I am currently level 5 and will level up to a Doomguide next level.

I am enjoying this character; he easily banished the undead at the cemetry near Forte Lock. The ability to use non-healing spells for healing is an added bonus since you don't have to memorize healing spells; however, I tend to forget I just used the special ability and end up casting a healing spell instead of a spell for buffing.

By taking the war domain I obtain the martial weapon proficiency feat and longsword weapon focus feat. When the character becomes a doomguide he obtains the Exotic Weapon proficiency feat in addition to the martial weapon proficiency feat he already has. This will give my character all the weapon feats without needing to take each one and I gain a free weapon focus feat.

I did some modification from my prior build for background reasons.

I am curious to find out what level most of you were when you entered Neverwinter? I was level 4 almost level 5 as a Yuan-ti. That would put most of you between level 5 and 6. Is that about right?

Background...
    My character is devoted to justice and law and prays to Tyr for guidance on all his actions. He prays to Tyr because early on in his life he was shunned by the locals due to his heritage as Yuan-ti and through prayer Tyr came to him and empowered him the ability to handle himself in combat for those that were unjust toward my character and others. Since he spent most of his time in prayer he spent a good deal of his time with Father Merring; their time together was often about removing the realm of undead and the power of the sun. One day when Merring was suppose to spend time with my character he was out running errands, with the free time my character took time and prayed to the Morning Lord. The Morning Lord could easily see my character prayed faithfully to Tyr; that did not stop the Morning Lord from empowering him with the gift of the Sun to help fight off the undead that plague the swamp. With the empowerment of the Sun and War as my character advances he realizes that his prior praying and faiths were leading him to Kelevmor; to help remove the realm of the restless souls.

Once the character reaches level 15 I am not sure if I should continue to level him up as a cleric, DC, or another class all together for that matter. I know the DC class would increase my character saves and provide some nice buffing abilities, though a DC would be better suited for a FS or Pally. I am considering a WP as that would go along with my character's background and he would continue to improve in his spell casting during the even level ups. Hmmm...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.