1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Computer/key locks

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Taluntain, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:

I was rummaging around my box of old computer stuff and found a few from who knows how many computers back. How many of you still had computers that came with key locks and do you miss them? :D

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had a couple, but I'm sure I never used them, so no, I don't miss them :)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't think I ever actually used them either, but they were a kind of a cute accessory. I had no idea, but apparently RAM theft was a big issue in some places back then, so at least those that locked the case potentially helped prevent that. But then again, since the keys usually weren't unique, it's questionable how effective that was.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I never personally used them, but RAM theft was an issue at my high school. The interesting thing was that most of those computers were Macs, early to mid 1990's Macs.
    I'm pretty sure they would have wanted to put locks on the cases if they were available for say an LC575 or other LC series, or the early PowerMacs they got my junior year.
    They were continuously upgrading when I was there, one lab at a time, phasing out the Apple II's by the end of my sophomore year and then the compact macs (Plus, SE/30, Classic), so I can't be more specific without picking a year.

I have seen them however, but not used them.

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    1984-1994? I've bought plenty of cases with locks well into the 2000s.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    I can't remember the last case I've had with a lock, but I think it was at least 3 computers back... probably before 2000.

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The PCs at my work still have a hole on the case so that they could be locked (and chained), though it isn't used. Only laptops are chained.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The last one I have/had is my Windows 98SE computer. A Dell Optiplex GX110.
    It is just a hole I can fit a small padlock on, one easily clipped but it would deter somebody from casually opening the case.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  9. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

We have an old Server case back in the 90s with a keylock on it. But I ave personally had a Dell optiplex GX115 with a hole for a padlock up till 2006 when I got my AMD Athlon 64bit X2 3800+ system with a Nvidia 7600 GT/GS cant remember the exact card. After that none of my computers have had a lock/padlock hole.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.