1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DA2 Owners get Mass Effect 2 for free?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age 2' started by Marceror, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I just received an email stating that because DA2 hit the 1 million sales mark in 2 weeks, I can obtain a download code for ME2.

I'm not exactly sure how to take this. Is this Bioware's way of "apologizing" for the cut corners in DA2? I've never been offered a new game from a developer because another one of their games was having good sales.

It strikes me as odd. Too bad I already own ME2.

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Could be because the DA2 sales are dropping rappidly. Not sure though. If I remember correctly, its the first time Bioware has done this kind of thing.

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm not sure who all they sent it to, but the email I received was to thank me for having purchased the game. It didn't appear to have been sent to those who haven't purchased the game (but maybe such folks received similar communications).

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I have gotten something like that as well. There was also something about getting the Black Emporium for free after a million sales. Didn't have time to follow up on that.

5. Marceror

Media:
    Here's the information that was in my email:

BioWare invites you to participate in our Sequel Celebration!

Thanks to gamers like you, Dragon Age II is off to a great start – breaking the 1 million mark in less than two weeks and faster than Dragon Age: Origins. We appreciate your support. As a special thank you for helping with the game's early success, BioWare would like to present you with a download code for 2010's Game of the Year, Mass Effect 2 on PC. As always, we sincerely appreciate your support and passion as we remain focused on delivering quality interactive experiences now and in the future. Look for more exciting things coming from Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Star Wars: The Old Republic in the future, including our recent launch of Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC

To qualify and get your Mass Effect 2 PC download code, please follow these steps before April 30, 2011 at 11:59pm PDT:

1. Activate the Online Pass content that came with your copy of Dragon Age II (The Black Emporium)

2. Start the game and log in using your EA Account or create a new EA Account

3. Visit http://social.bioware.com/me2offer and log in with that EA Account

4. Enter your Online Pass code and click "Submit". You will then be provided the code for Mass Effect 2.

5. Open the EA Download Manager and enter the code to commence download (if you don't have the EA Download Manager installed, it can be found here: http://eastore.ea.com/eadm)

For more information on this and answers to any frequently asked questions, please visit: DragonAge.BioWare.com/ME2Offer.

Here's some of the more interesting information from the link at the bottom of the email:
    1.What is the Sequel Celebration?
    As a special thank you to our fans for helping with the Dragon Age II's early success, BioWare would like present them with a download code for 2010's Game of the Year, Mass Effect 2 on PC.

2.Who qualifies for the Sequel Celebration?
    All Dragon Age II game owners who purchased a new copy of Dragon Age II and follow the below steps before April 30th at 11:59pm PDT qualify.

11.Does my copy of Mass Effect 2 include the Cerberus Network content?
    Cerberus Network is included and will be entitled to the account used to redeem your Dragon Age II Online Pass. This includes Zaeed - The Price of Revenge, Cerberus Weapon and Armor, Normandy Crash Site, Cerberus Arc Projector, and Firewalker Pack. Visit the offer page to download the necessary files.

So if you haven't bought the game yet, it looks like you can get 2 games for the price of one until April 30th. So this isn't exactly a "thank you" for those who have already bought the game (it is that, I guess, but not only that), it is a way to create additional incentive for people to buy the game.

I hate to sound like a cynic on this one, but something here smacks of desperation. Maybe it's just the sleep deprivation talking.... If I didn't already own ME2 maybe I'd be more excited about it.

6. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

It looks to me like they're doing fine, having probably already made their money back at least (2million sales in 2 weeks is pretty good). Might just be Bioware trying to get DA players hooked on ME. I've never played mass effect, so this will be my first time seeing it.

I'm trying this out and after putting in the code into the EADM, nothing's happening. Says to wait 72 hours, so let's hope I'm not missing out 'cause of some bug :O

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I saw that and said WTF right after. I got ME2 for the Xbox 360 at Xmas and we paid about $10 for it. As for giving away ME2; it is EA way of trying to get more gamers playing the other big RPG title that is on all three formats. Also, it is a ploy to help improve sales of ME3 when it is released.

As someone who owns MEII already, I made comments on their forum about this give away and said thank you but it doesn’t do me any good. I asked if they would give us gamers who already own a registered MEII free DAII DLC or MEII DLCs we don't have. I also asked the question if DAIII will be improved with the criticisms that gamers provide or are we simply just venting with no changes to come in the next game in the DA series.

8. Marceror

Media:
    I've considered that this might be some brilliant marketing ploy to push Mass Effect 2 Arrival and Mass Effect 3 while creating a boost for DA2. And maybe it is. I don't have visibility to the financials around the decision, so what do I really know? I still find it odd that a game that is relatively new is being offered free of charge if DA2 is purchased.

Maybe I'm just looking a psuedo gift horse in the mouth. Again, if I didn't already own ME2, I know I'd be stoked to get ME2 for free.

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

ME2 maybe new but why is it so cheap if bought? I can pick it up for the XBox or PC, prior to this news, for about $10-20 new. While DAO is still selling for $30-40 new and DAO Ultimate going for $40-50.

I find it funny that I just found a store yesterday selling DAII for $40 already; the same price as DA:O.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.