1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo II single player questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by dmc, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So I've had this game for a while but never really played it. That changed and I've been running a Paladin specializing in cold and zeal (seemed the easiest to me, freeze them, slow them and whale away on them).

Anyway, I have some questions.

I have more things I want to keep than I can comfortably stuff in the stash. There are some of those set items where I am not sure that I like the ones I have, but I imagine the synergy of the set might help. Is there any way to keep things other than in the stash, on me, or on my hireling?

Right now, I am saving every single gem and rune that I find and upgrading them in the cube when I can. Does this make sense or should I limit what I save? I am not really saving the jewels I find as I am underwhelmed with them.

I also am not socketing the gems, runes and skulls because I figure it will be a waste to do that until I get to the point where I like my gear for the relative long run. How's that strategy work in the "sense-meter"?

I have kept the hireling that the computer gave me at the beginning and given her a cool bow and pretty decent armor and helmet. I like the damage she does and she does not get killed very often, but am I missing out on better hirelings?

Right now I am in Act 2 on Nightmare. Regular difficulty was pretty much a breeze, although some spots were annoying. This difficulty is tougher, because there are things that kill me before I really figure out who they are, and I can only chug potions so quickly.

Any help is appreciated. As I have already gone through once, I don't think there are any spoilers that would piss me off, so feel free.

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

My Paladin runs Zeal and Thorns. When they hit you, it hurts them worse. This works well with any item that steals life and/or gives regeneration. There are still places where you're chugging like a mad fool though...

Unfortunately, that's all the storage you have. I'm in the same boat with all 7 characters I run. The only thing I've found that works is actually questionable. It could be classed as cheating, but it could also be a legitimate trick for playing at a higher level. Unfortunately, this requires a second computer with Diablo II, running the same version and a LAN connecting them. Simply run a "Mule" fromt he second computer. A Character that holds the stuff for your character or Characters.

I do save the Gems and runes to upgrade. Rune Combinations, which could be found on the net--likely through links posted in the other Diablo II thread, are very powerful! I had Lore on a Helmet and Honour on two twin axes (duplicated by a friend of mine) once upon a time. The Character make quick work of Diablo...

Socketing I'm not sure about. I've heard rumours of a combination including a rare item and 6 perfect skulls that adds a socket to an item. If you could get one of your best items with enough sockets, then the rune word on top fo that or even perfect gems can be a thing of beauty...

I like the Hireling from Act 1 as well. I like the added cover fire--especially when you have a ton of little buggers that run around!

Don't neglect the idea of "cherry picking" or going back through an area that you feel more comfortable with and fighting your way through it, possibly upping the difficulty (players=8) while you're there. It can help if you are in need of gold or just one more level...

Also, Keep a note of where you get killed. Look again for a tactical edge and find a way to exploit it, like running around to seperate some enemies from the group...

3. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Go to a site called the Phrozen Keep (google it) and download a plugin mod, such as PlugY. Note that these plugin mods are version specific, so get the right one for your version, and even consider using 1.11b if it means being able to use PlugY (its worth it).

What do you get, you ask? Much larger stash, infinite stash "pages", and shared stash between all characters on your PC. As well as the ability to reassign skill and stat points on the fly. And more.

Its an awesome mod.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Don't use mods. I've been playing single player exclusively since the game came out and your biggest accepted friend is ATMA.

It's a stash outside the game that stores infinity items. It's widely accepted among single players. Together with the red rune mod and the runeword mod (it allows ladder only runewords, both highly recommended)

It's also the easiest to use, it doesn't need any connection to the game and is the reason I keep playing single player.

http://forums.diii.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Check the first stickied thread.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Thanks all, I will look into these things and see if that helps.

6. Gnarfflinger

So I can put an item in that my Paladin finds and pass it down to my Assassin?

I'll look for that tonight!

7. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Yup, its awesome, and as good as ATMA is (I used to use it) this is ingame. No need to exit the game to swap items, just load up your stash.

Only thing to be careful with, as I said, is the game version, it wont work for 1.12 (unless they made a new version already).

Really awesome mod, it even lets you start those World Events (the ones where you fight Uber DIablo etc) if you want. Doesnt change the gameplay, just makes it a bit easier to use.

8. Gnarfflinger

I downloaded it, but couldn't get it to work with 1.11

I'll look at their site to see if there's more information there...

9. dmc

Media:
    OK - so I am running the latest patch, 1.12a I guess and the PlugY forum says it is not compatible. Is ATMA? If neither is, am I better off somehow going back a patch step to 1.11b? Which one of these two things is easier to use?

10. Gnarfflinger

I couldn't even get PlugY to work.

So what is this ATMA?

11. MindChild

MindChild Science should not set limits to imagination Resourceful Veteran

ATMA is a program that loads your saved character file (d2s), and moves the items to either an ATMA stash file or another character file...its like an item manager for Diablo 2 (well, its not LIKE it...thats what it is)

It IS compatible with 1.12

just open ATMA, load your character file (defaults in C:bad:program files\diablo ii\save\)

more info here:
    http://atma.diabloii.net/

12. dmc

Media:
    Then that's what I will use, thanks.

13. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Saving runes and skulls can help in the long run, but don't do the same to your gems. As the game goes on gems types get better and better and sooner or later you're gonna have more than you know what to do with. Always try to save at least 3 or so perfects of each, though. You never know when you need to use them to raise your stats, elemental resistances or just do cold damage.

Nope. Being Paladin pretty much makes any hireling just icing on the cake for you, so just go with the Hireling type you like.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Generally speaking, I like the mercenaries you can hire on Act 2 because they have paladin auras, and your auras and the merc auras stack. So you could, for example, have both Holy Freeze and Might going simultaneously (if you hire an Act 2 offensive mercenary on nightmare difficulty) which is a powerful combination, as you'll do a lot of cold and physical damage. It always helps to have two good damage types to help with creatures with immunity. If you do a lot of cold and physical damage, you won't have problem with cold immunes or physical immunes.

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Especially powerful when you are a skellimancer with 24 skeletons and magi running amok!

16. Gnarfflinger

Will have to try to download it when my computer is going to co-operate with me...

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I've just started playing D2 again, and I tried d/ling ATMA, only for avast! to pipe up with a malware warning. Is this a known issue (i.e. a "false positive") or something I should be wary of? I've e-mailed the ATMA guys already, but wanted to know if any here knew anything. Cheers in advance! :thumb:

18. dmc

Media:
    I got Norton's pop up warning with it as well and disabled Norton to allow the DL. It works fine (wish I had it before I sold several interesting items). I am pleased. Thanks to all who responded.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Pretty much all trainers/exe hacks induce false positives from virus scanners... I have yet to come across one that was actually infected.

20. dmc

Media:
    So now I have completed Nightmare and leveled up to 70 with my frost zealot paladin dude. I start Hell and basically get owned on the Blood Moors - the quill critters and zombies require that I suck down multiple potions, my mercenary dies a couple of times and, quite frankly, hit and run tactics and watching her shoot arrows is boring. (I see that the zombies are immune to cold, which really blows chunks.)

Is this normal? Am I doing something drastically wrong here?

From memory, my gear is OK - Defense is around 1000 (which is probably low), my attacks generally hit, so I don't think that is an issue. I have a saber that does fire damage, has extra fast to hit (better than normal sword class) and I put a perfect gem of whatever type does poison damage to add 100 points of poison over a few seconds. Plus, it adds +1 to all Paladin skills. I am carrying half my inventory of charms adding various elemental damage types and a I have a couple that are also adding over 125 more points of poison damage.

I run around with Holy Freeze and Zeal active, my boots give me extra fast running and many of my gear items increase my chance to find magic items. Should I ditch the latter in favor of things that are better at defense or resistances?

Also, my armor isn't great on the defense side (like 250-300 or so IIRC) but it has a great lightning resist and I found that during the game, things that did lightning damage just kicked the crap out of me. The shield is so-so - base chance to block isn't great (a little over 50% I think) but it is +70% to all resistances, which I think is crucial on Hell because of the hit I take off the bat on my resistances by the level.

I've used ATMA to save a bunch of stuff and can get better armor defense-wise and better shields blocking wise. My dex and str are in the 130-140 range and the vitality is like 180 or so.

Have I screwed this up?

Last question - I have a few levels in holy shield (I think I took two and my gear raises my skills by another two), but I am not sure how it works or how it is reflected so I can see that it is working.

Sorry for the rambling post, but there are questions here and I probably will have more when someone posts some answers. Right now I find Hell to be tedious and am inclined to ditch it and start another character class (Necro or Sorceress to check out the magic types) because this sucks and I have better things to do with my time.

TIA.

Edit:

OK, now that I'm home, here are the real stats and items:

Str - 125
    Dex - 122
    Vit - 178

(All without modifications, obviously)

Zeal and Holy Freeze at 19, (plus a couple from items), Sacrifice at 9, Holy Shield at 2, Resist Cold at 11, Salvation at 10, others at relatively mininal.

(Remember that I have a couple of items that boost skills by +1 each)

Sabre - 3-8 damage, +62-120 fire, +99 poison over 7 seconds, 7% life stolen per hit, +1 to paladin skill levels, +40% speed, +5% fire resistance

Shield - chance to block 52%, Defense 149, all resistances +70%

Helm - Sazabi's mental sheath - +1 to all skill levels, defense 175, fire resist +15%, lighting resist +18%

Armor - defense 264, lightning resist +42%, poison length reduced by 50%, 10% faster hit recovery, +24% chance to get magic items

Belt - +5 str, +10 dex, defense 52, damage reduced by 3, attacker takes damage of 8, 30% faster hit recovery

Gloves - defense 107, poison resist +30%, +59 poison damage over 4 seconds, 5% life stolen per hit, 5% chance of crushing blow

Boots - Natalya's soul mesh boots - defense 162, lightning resist +23%, cold resist +15%, 40% faster run/walk, heal stamina +17%

Amulet - +5 str, +11 AR, +1 max damage, 33% chance of getting magic item, +1 summoning skills (druid only)

Ring1 - +16 max stamina, +31 AR, cold resist +12%, replenish life +3, half freeze duration, 12% chance getting magic item

Ring2 - +40 AR, 22% chance of getting magic item

Charms - Generally add: fire resist +15%, cold resist + 12%, lightning resist +21%, cold damage 4-11, lightning damage 1-8, poison damage 131, + 36 life, + 69 AR, +8 dex, +28 defense, 8% faster hit recovery, +5 max damage

Backup weapons -

Broad sword - 7-14 damage, +176 AR, 4-11 cold damage, +1 to paladin skill levels, requirements -20%, 10% increased attack speed

The General's Tan Do Li Ga Flail - damage 2-56, +25 defense, 5% mana stolen per hit, 20% increased attack speed, 150% damage to undead, slows target by 50%

Couple of questions on this - what's the point of reducing requirements? What does that do? What does crushing blow do? I think Ring2 and the amulet are weak links, any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.