1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo II single player questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by dmc, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree with dmc on all points.

From a pure survivability factor, the necro rules supreme. Once you have your army up and running, you're basically invincible, because in order for you to die, you have to be hit, and in order to be hit, they have to get through your army. Since a necro can go all-out in terms of magic find, they are among the best magic finders in the game.

Regarding the dex/vit debate, I also agree. That's why I said if you don't already have gear that will allow you to go the max block route, that it's easier to go with max life, as max life is not gear-dependent.

Finally, dmc and I show that there's no "correct" choice when it comes to the debate - both of us had sorceresses, he went max block, I went max life, and we both were able to finish hell difficulty without too much trouble.

2. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    My experiences with a max block sorceress were a bit different. Granted, the items I used weren't as good and my play style is more aggressive, but I think going for max block also means you should also get your block recovery rate up.
    Staff enchantments today seem to be pointing towards tri-elemental mastery, no? Though apparently they're still not working as well as the devs planned.
    From experience, globes with +lightning only seem hard to find when you're actually looking for them. :p

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  3. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    That's usually the case :-)

I can agree with both the max block and max life route, although to me, it looks like it's a question of playing style and personal prefference. I could go with the max block route, but it would depend on my build. If I, for example, would build a Nova sorceress I would be closer to all the critters and max block could be a good choice.

For now, I'm sticking to the max life route. I haven't had the chance to play yesterday and today won't be different. Maybe tomorrow.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I have not noticed this, and there is nothing in the game code for drop mechanics that would indicate this should happen. In determining what spells you get with a staff (or any item that gives bonuses to specific skills, regardless of whether it's a staff, orb, necro head, scepter, etc), there's nothing in the game code that makes one skill tree be chosen preferentially over the other. For example, if the game decides to drop a staff with three different bonuses to specific skills, and the first mod it selects is from the fire tree, it doesn't make the second or third skills selected more or less likely to come from the fire tree.

In fact, AFAIK, the only limitations you'll see with specifc spells on staff drops are based on the level of the monster dropping the item. You'll never have a monster in Act I Normal drop an item with a spell that would require you to be level 18, 24, or 30 to normally cast. Similarly, by the time you get to Hell difficulty, you would be unlikely to get an item that gave a bonus to a level 1 skill.

With the advent of synergies, tri-elementalism went the way of the dodo (it was the way to build a sorceress before that). The same patch that introduced synergies (I think it was 1.09, but not entirely sure) also greatly increased the life total of all the monsters in the game, and unsynergized spells lacked the power to kill stuff on hell difficulty. A lot of my game knowledge comes from my many trips to the diabloii.net forums (I think it's now diabloiii.net, and you can select diabloii fromt he drop down box), and builds featuring tri-elemental sorceresses are simply not used anymore. If you don't synergize your spells, instead of getting a character that is good at everything, you'll get a character that is good at nothing.

No matter what character you play, you can really only hope to maximize four different skills. (Technically, it's possible to maximize five skills, but it would require reaching an extremely high level, and some of the skills not having (m)any prerequisites.) To sorceresses advancing to level 80ish, the only real decision is whether you want to max out two skills in two different trees, or (more commonly) max out three spells in one tree, and a single spell in the other tree. The former method gives you two decently powerful attacks, while the latter gives you one very powerful attack, and a functional backup attack.

EDIT:
    True - but you do want a single point in Nova. It's a boss killer. You run up to the boss, spam Nova like crazy, and then get the hell out of dodge while chugging a full rejuvenation potion.

5. Drugar

Media:
    I have and I do use it, but it's only effective with a high FCR. This applies for the whole sorceress build, but especially for low point skills to be usefull in my opinion.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I agree with that too, but Nova is unique in regards to skills that you invest just a single point in. It's just as effective in terms of damage output at level 1 as it is at level 30. The only thing more points do is increase the area of effect. And while a one-point Nova requires you to get a heck of a lot closer to a boss than you'd like, the risk is usually worth it, even if it means you die in an effort to accomplish your goal (which is certainly possible even if you have fcr gear).

7. Drugar

Media:
    Well, dying is no stranger to my sorceress, so that's not an issue perse ;)

I'll testrun Nova against Andariel when I can, just to look how it reacts.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Guys - do you really mean Nova? It sounds like you are talking about Static Field. Big difference.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    :doh: Yes - Static Field!!!

10. Drugar

Media:
    Oh damn, you're right :bang:

The discussion began about Nova though, but I knew what Aldeth meant.

Sorry for the mix-up ;)

11. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I meant for the unique staves. Some of them grant +% damage or -% resistance to all elements, or a +3 to each elemental mastery on top of a +x to all skills, or add a +x to skills from each of the different trees.
    Maybe they were just designed like this so they work with any sorc type, but this would make them wholly inferior to orbs (which are much more specialized). Somehow it doesn't make sense for Blizzard to make a whole item class that is inferior to another.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Actaully, I think you are exactly correct - many unique staves have all three elemental properties so they can be used by any type of sorceress. The only point of disagreement I have is your comparison to orbs. By far the two most popular orbs in D2 are the Oculus and the orb from Tal Rasha's set, both of which gives bonuses to all three trees.

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I had a thought about boosting Conan's MF. Instead of the echoing weapons on switch, what if I had two Ali Baba's instead, socketed with whatever rune it is that boosts MF and put a PTopaz in his helm. I could switch the weapons when the big time baddies were down to slivers and seriously jump my MF. Plus, I'm already using Enigma. I don't think I'd need to swap any other equipment at all to be extremely respectible in the MF department at that point. Might be worth a try when I finish Hell, as I have at least a half dozen Ali Baba's and an extra Arreat's Face, along with two socket quest rewards.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Dual weilding Ali Baba's is a tried and true barbarian MF tactic. The damage output of the weapons is poor, however, so you usually just keep them on switch, and take the boss down to a sliver of life before switching. For best results, you're right, you'll have to insert runes in the sockets, and the rune is a fairly pricey one - Ist.

Most barbs only use the Ali Baba's on boss fights though, when you won't be using find item anyway, and when you can still be under the effects of a boosted BC/BO/Shout from the echoing weapons. The normal tactic is to keep the Ali Babas in your stash, and return to town just before you fight the boss. Cast BC/BO/Shout with your echoing weapons right before you switch to Ali Baba's. One BC/BO/Shout is cast, you'll retain the +6 bonus from the echoing weapons until the duration runs out, and most bosses can be dispatched before that happens (at high levels the duration is several minutes). Go kill the boss, and then switch back to echoing weapons.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    My javazon - who is actually now a javazon, as she uses a javelin more than a bow now, finished Act II Normal.

The only downer here is I'm wasting some skill points, as I've never done a javazon before, and I'm not sure what I want as my melee attack. So I'm basically putting a point into everything in the jav/spear tree to see what I want my backup, melee attack will be. (The throw skill is obvious, and since all the lightning based melee attacks only give a 1% synergy to the throw attack, there isn't an obvious choice.)

16. Drugar

Media:
    I'm planning to start a new necromancer alongside my sorceress.

I'll continue to play my sorceress as my main character, but look forward to playing a little bit of necromancer too when I need a change of scenery ;)

The necromancer will be a Skelliemancer. Back when playing 1.07, I had a lot of fun with that build and want to play one again.

Aldeth, how is your javazon doing? Any thoughts about your melee attack yet?

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, I know it's either Lightning Strike or Fend. I'm not sure which yet. The only bad part was I had to dump a point in every skill on that Tree to open those two skills. I haven't played since finishing Act II a couple of days ago, so nothing new to report.

18. dmc

Media:
    The skelliemance is great fun. That's the guy I still trot out on occasion (I have him up to level 92) and who I seem to have the top loot for. He's a great MF character and you can actually ignore large portions of battles to chat on the phone, so little micromanaging is needed.

Conan finished Act 3 Hell and is looking forward to a good rune drop in Act 4 (still working for that critical mass to upgrade to a zod, any day now) and to wiping the floor with Diablo and his wimpy pink lighning bolt of death. Waheed is not so happy about the latter as he doesn't seem to fare so well in battles with big D and Conan usually is solo by the end of the Act.

19. Drugar

Media:
    So, actually, Waheed is affraid of the wimpy pink ray of death? And that makes him...? :rolleyes: :p

20. dmc

Media:
    A merc with fewer item slots to make use of twinky items . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.