1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo III launch

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 & 4' started by Blades of Vanatar, May 16, 2012.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Did anyone pick this up yesterday? If so, comments? I read this which isn't making me want to go out waste my money. But I prefer to here from the actual players before making a decision as to whether or not I am going to spend money on a mess of a game.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I am always reluctant to purchase a new game the day it launches. I always like to give it a month or two for a patch to come out, fix some of the more obvious bugs that invariably make it through beta testing, and for things to calm down.

That D3 is online only is no surprise - that was announced about a year ago. That their servers were unable to take on the millions of players who logged on is unfortunate. (Did they not expect TONS of people to log on? It was only the most pre-odered game ever.) I'm just happy that you aren't forced to play in a group. Early reports is that normal and nightmare mode is easily doable solo.

Granted, this is probably a means of me rationalizing the fact that I'm going to need a new PC before I can play this game, and currently I have no timeline for that happening, and I'm still pretty engrossed in Skyrim regardless. But it is true that even games I was really into I didn't purchase on release dates. (Now expansions are another thing entirely.)

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It seems to me that after you buy the game(regardless if they fix the bugs, issues, etc..) you will be dependant upon their servers to play it. If they have issues I might not be able play the game? AFTER I ALREADY PAID FOR IT! It's another concern for me when I have limited gaming time as it is. That is a pretty *****y circumstance to run into.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    True that. I am assuming one or two things would happen though. First, Blizzard would get more servers to resolve this. Starcraft 2 was online only as well, and within the first couple of weeks, issues of people having difficulties playing owing to the overloading of the servers became virtually non-existent. Secondly, after the first few weeks of the playing bonanza, many people would stop playing 24/7, reducing the strain on the servers. It's not like Blizzard's brain trust - the creators of WoW - don't have experience with hundreds of thousands of people all logged on playing a game at once. I would be stunning if server issues would prove to be a long, on-going problem for D3 players.

5. Blades of Vanatar

You're most likely correct. but the possiblity exists. Also there are many more hassles as I need to be hooked to the net to play. We do alot of long trips to the East coast, Upstate Wisconsin, etc.... I will have my laptop with me while the kids are sleeping in the car. Or, if my wife is on the Desktop and I want to game later at night I will now need to setup wi-fi, which I have no need for otherwise. Internet connection required to play a single player PC game is just freaking retarded....

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've been playing a lot the last few days. It's absolutely brilliant, I struggle to pull myself away from it when I have to go out to do something.

It's a shame a lot of people were struggling to sign in, but you have to expect one or two teething problems with a new game launch, especially one of this size. Give it a few days to settle down 100%.

By the way, Wizards are just ridiculous. Frost Nova + a few Arcane Orbs means a lot of dead ****. Chain Lightning cleans up the rest. Just don't let stuff hit you!

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yeah, on the road you'd be pretty much screwed, but if you already have internet access in your home, getting a router for the house should be a piece of cake. When my wife purchased a laptop a few years ago, I called up Verizon (my ISP) about getting a router, and they changed out my modem for a router at no charge. (I had to agree to a year contract extension.) ISPs hate losing customers so they usually aren't all that concerned about switching out equipment.

But maybe that's why I don't see it as a big deal. I already have internet access for both of my home's computers, I don't plan on purchasing the game in the next few weeks, after which time server issues would likely be resolved, and so I can be a bit more unconcerned about the whole thing than you. I guess my bottom-line is I wouldn't decide against buying the game just because of the server issues. And I understand why it's online only, because Blizzard introduced an auction house. Having it be online only is the only means by which they can keep an eye on players - otherwise duped or hacked items would flood the market.

8. Blades of Vanatar

It's post like this and Aldeth's irrefutable(?) posts that make games like D3 impossible to resist. But I HATE giving in to their stupid demands. I want it my way. DAMN YOU ALDETH! DAMN YOU BARMY!:p

9. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The interface is still bad, but the game's pretty good. Connection problems still come and go especially if you play in the Americas.

Playing Witch Doctor and loving it. If I manage to get my skills to actually hit something then I believe I may be able to outdamage a Wizard (one of the gang plays one). That's a very big "if" though, I don't think it's even possible to consistently hit in with some of these skills. As it is, records show that our Demon Hunter is currently doing the most damage (level 20's). That may change once the Wizard gets his 20's spells like Blink and Meteor.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  10. Barmy Army

Media:
    To be fair, forcing online was always going to be on the cards for D3, but it's nothing to do with Blizz being control freaks. If you've ever played a Diablo game before you'll know the point of the game is not to complete the campaign / defeat the final boss, as it is in a single player. The point of the game is to build your character and get the best gear possible through trading with other players, which is a goal it shares in common with MMORPGs and other online-only games. Add in the fact that they emphasise co-op more than playing it on your own, they give you dedicated chat channels ingame and constant updates on your UI about what your battle.net friends are up to, and it's obvious that Blizzard's intent is to make you feel like you're in a community while playing the game - not just some loner sat up at 3am in his bedroom playing a single player hack'n'slash. Millions of players have no problem keeping a constant online connection to play WoW or SC2, so I doubt they'll have it with D3. If you planned to buy it as a game you could play on long train journeys then you've just been misguided as to what type of game Diablo III actually is.

11. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

All of the gameplay I've seen on video so far has left me rather unimpressed.

However, it COULD also be caused by my rather recent nausea-inducing foray into D2. No hack'n'slash for me for a while at least. But if you guys hype this after, say, Christmas, I pretty much feel obliged to try. :p

12. Blades of Vanatar

I'm just griping Barms.:) I know the difference in what the game is and what I WANT it to be... but I never thought that Diablo I was that type of game. I agree part II was defintely made for MP/Commuity play whichi I never partake in. I did play the crap out of it in single player mode though and thought it was just fine that way. But the original was an awesome single player game in my book, especially for the time....

13. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My Collector's Edition finally arrived this afternoon. My thoughts so far: GOD THIS TAKES FOREVER TO INSTALL! WHY DIDN'T I DOWNLOAD THE CLIENT LAST NIGHT?!?!

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    According to Tom's Hardware, system requirements aren't all that high.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diablo-iii-performance-benchmark,3195.html

15. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Now that I'm actually playing, I can't go more than 15 minutes without getting booted out with error 3007. Really, really frustrating.

Also a little disappointed that I can't just keep going where I left off in the Beta, I mean I've already done this part of the game twice so a third time feels like a chore at this point.

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    You see, I find this weird. I'm on the Americas server (by accident) and never once failed to get in/been kicked out. I've asked Blizz to transfer my character to Europe, but in the meantime I'm still on Americas...

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am torn, have logged a few hours now and at first when I played in group I found it to be so so but I was playing with some old WoW friends and that was nice. Then I played some solo last night and I hated it. Hated the game play and I hated dying all the time. Gave it another shot today and have enjoyed it. I think actually spending some effort into picking which skills to use and learning how to use them makes the game much more enjoyable. It is still basically just point and click though.

19. Blades of Vanatar

That posts reminds me of when we played Gauntlet at the Arcade as kids.... Mash the buttons as fast as you can and put more quarters into the slot. :p

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    For sure, and there has been nothing I've seen thus far that would make you unable to enjoy D3 in single player mode. According to Blizzard, normal difficulty can be soloed easily. Just bring along a follower, who levels with you, and you'll be fine. Nightmare difficulty will take some more skill, but should also be able to be soloed, and it is in nightmare mode where you'll have access to all the skills the game has to offer (but not the best items). Hell difficulty will be very challenging to solo, but I'm sure with skilled game play it will be possible. The only game mode that Blizzard has said will be effectively impossible to solo is the new 4th difficulty, inferno difficulty.

If you computer was purchased more recently than 2004... they aren't. And now that I recently bought an XBox for me and my son, along with a Kinect that my son makes me play with him, I'm having more difficulty justifying the purchase of a new computer. It's not like I don't have a fun toy to game on.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.