1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Disappointing final battle

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Mollusken, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Reaper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yep, it is a easy finish. So for a challange I started again with a fighter/cleric/mage and a thief. I am just starting Dragon 's eye, very interesting tactically.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] The Diablo 2 ending without the expansion pack is cooler. With all the seals and stuff. But back to the topic. The burial isle in Heart of Winter was much harder than any "boss" in Icewind Dale. The ice dragon at the end was almost as cool as the first time I met Sarevok.

3. Cog Primius Guest

i thinkl that yxunomei was pretty easy

this is how i did: after she started attack my mage i made him run out of the room and closed the door. she still had her aim on the mage so i made some skeletons with animate death cleric spell. after that i sat my fighter/thief to shoot some +1 arrows on her and after 10 seconds she was dead. preatty easy ey.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's really amazing since Yxunomei is immune to +1 weapons.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Maybe she had a hard attack because of all those arrows bouncing off her. :grin:

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"immune to +1 weapons."

Yep. But if you're using a +2/+3 bow to shoot those +1 arrows, it will stack up Yux just as good as the +10 Killsword I use.

(just not a quick; how fast can you say "locked up the computer because I gibbed her before she had time to start her evil rant"?)

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Uh, no. The arrow is the only thing striking, so only its enchantment level counts when determining what it can hit.

Your to-hit roll will be modified by the arrow and the bow, but not the enchantment level.

8. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You have to read Salvatores "Icewind dale" trilogy to really appriciate the story, and the ending. However, I agree that the big battles are to easy. The most difficult was maybe Malavon? or Ilmadia? certainly not Ywunomei, arrows+2 kill her before she gets to me!

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"so only its enchantment level counts "

Hmmmmm. So what's the point of having a +1,+2,+3,+4 bow if the arrows are the only thing that count?

I'm no Ad&d guru, here. I'm just trying to figure out what the deal is. I've read one walkthrough that says you add the arrow's and the bow's enchantments, which makes sence to me. It said using some +2 bow with +1 arrows will hit, but not some sword because it's only +2. Time for me to read that 2nd edition rules .txt file I've got...somewhere...

Edit:
    Well, I scoured for it, and found what you're talking about. I'm gonna use Dalekeeper and give it a whirl with a +2 bow and +1 arrows. If the enchanments do stack, then it is BlackIsle's bad...

[This message has been edited by ejsmith (edited January 14, 2002).]

10. Nathan Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Yxenomi was simple to beat, as I summoned as many creatures as I could in front of her, and while she was distracted, pumped her full of bolts and arrows (I think they were +1 or +2, & a Bow of Speed). End of problem. I had some minor difficulty with the final boss. The best way to beat him is to have your thief detect traps, your fighters to be armed with their best melee weapons (and Protection from Fire!). Any clerics should have healing and summoning spells learned. As for any mages, have him cast summon monsters whenever you are trying to heal your party. The boss & golems are so stupid, they fight summoned creatures first. Conlan's Hammer is the best weapon against the Golems (+5 against them). Dispatch them first. For healing, simply distract the boss with summoned creatures, and cast away. Remember to put healing potions in quick slots! Have all fighters drink potions of Giant strength, as they may be too weak to do him serious damage. Besides, they could use a boost! If any of your characters dies, keep on fighting untill either everyone in your party is dead, or he is!!

11. kunonere Gems: 1/31

I used Powerword: Silence (No Save) on Beliphet and sent all my party members to pummel the hell out of him and ignored the Golems and Cornugons.

With +4 weapons (mage even had a +4 boomerang dagger "Lover") he went down before the other guys did any real damage to my party.

It was over before I knew it.

12. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Is Yxenomi the big snake creature at the bottom of Dragons Eye?

13. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As I understand it, +n bows adjust THACO, but don't effect damage, with a few exceptions but thats detailed in the description. Anyway, I thought the ending was alright. I don't like games you have to struggle through, and I think IWD/HOW/TOL has some definitely challenging parts, just to get to the end and spend a couple sessions on a final battle worth all told maybe 20 minutes of real play. Anyway, there better be an IWD2.

14. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Lithorn: Yes, she is the big ugly nude lady in Dragon's Eye.

There's nothing wrong with struggeling, as long as there isn't too much of it. A fight also quickly becomes boring if you have to reaload more than 10 times before you win. But the final fight should be something special. I never felt it was that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.