1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Discussion: Top5 Easiest Hard Battle & Hardest Battle

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Minsc S2, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Minsc S2 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This discussion is quite simple really: Throughout the entire BG-saga (including BG1 & TotSC), wich:

Top5 "Hard Battles" (i.e they were ment to be hard, but you didn't find them hard), did you find the easiest and;

Wich top5 Battles did you find the hardest overall. (i.e how many times did you have to reload to try again and such ;) )

- - - - - Warning - The following messages is likely to contain spoilers! - - - - - -

I'll start:

Easiest "Hard" Battles:

#1: Irenicus @ Saldunessar. (SoA)

Can't believe this was ment to be the hard last-battle in BG2 SoA.
    I just had Imoen & Aerie casting Warding Whip/Secret Word/Pierce Magic/Pierce Shield/etc, the entire battle, while I had Minsc, Jaheira, Viconia and the PC (Berserker) slap Irenicus silly. He died within like 15 seconds, and I didn't have to reload a single time.

#2: Balthazar (ToB)

Also a supposedly ment-to-be-hard battle, that was riddicously easy.
    The 5 goons before Balthazar himself was harder imo.
    Balthazar himself died really quick with normal auto-attacks. (Having a Berserker PC, Sarevok with Ravager, Minsc with Psionblade really made his day bad).

#3: Davaeron (BG 1)

I let the rest of my party stand back, and casted Protection of Magic on my PC (Fighty Paladin), then had the Paladin hunt and hack Davaeron for afew minutes while he teleported around. He did 0 damage to me during the whole fight, and in the end he ran out of spells and started hitting me with his staff.
    PC: 1 / Iron Throne: 0

#4: Abazigal (Dragonform) (ToB)

Thought he would be the hardest dragon in the game, due to beeing one of "The Five", but his son was 10x harder. Abazigal didn't barely require any tactical skills from my side. Charge and hit with some magic-dispelling was enough. Had to reload once, but meh.

#5: Demogorgon (ToB)

I didn't intend to battle him first, but I attacked him just for fun and got him to "Badly Wounded" :eek:
    Reload, buff up, charge, a moment lather he was dead. Viconia died though.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hardest Battles overall:

#1 Sarevok in Undercity. (BG 1)

I lost count on how many times I had to reload this battle. 20+ probably.
    In the end I had no choice but to do what the FAQ tiped about: Summon alot of monsters and let them act as a meatshield while i magiced/ranged him to death.
    The fact that I couldn't save after killing his goons, while beeing out of combat at the same time, just made the whole thing even more annoying.
    Truly a spawn of Bhaal, who later became mine to command :evil:

PC 1 / Iron Throne: 1

#2 Sendai (ToB)

I thought this was gonna be a easy battle. How wrong I was.
    After a total mess 2 tries in a row, I ended up casting 10' Prot of Evil, and then summoned a Pitfiend (Gate spell) to guard the entrance and kill all the Drow. This worked pretty well, but I still had to reload once or twice and try it over again. Damn her mage-statue was annoying, I hate timestop!
    Once her statues were down, it was easy though, but getting there, was not easy.

#3 Draconis (Dragonform). (ToB)

He wiped me on the first encounter :eek: (probably had to do with that the first thing he did, was bash Viconia, who had all my Detect-Invis, spells)
    Second encounter was a real adrenaline-rush. Had pause and spamm different spells/combatabilities all the time, not to mention detect invis.
    Dragon Mages with a fetish for invisibility can be soo lame sometimes...
    Eventually he died though, and he took about 20 greater healing potions with him.

#4 Top of the Iron Throne (BG 1)

Chaotic fight with quite som reloads. Start down the stairs, rebuff - try, reload, rebuff, try, reload, rebuff, retry, etc. In the end I had to cast Protection of Magic on Minsc & my Paladin PC and have them hunt all the casters, while Imoen, Yeslick and Dynaheir stood far back and tried to do some support healing/magic. Good fight.

#5 Melissan. (ToB)

Melissan herself is a joke, I doubt she herself did any real damage to me, but the ammount of damage she can take, and the ammount of guardians she summons is riddicoulus. Had to reload afew times to finally get her down without any casualties. The Slayer Shadows we're really annoying, and because of them, the "Second Summoning" was the hardest. The final summoning when she's on her own was almost laughable though, not to mention Soloable. A good fight none the less.

Next!

2. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

If I go back to when I was a newb at this game, the two dragon fights (played on easy with no mods!) was the hardest thing I had ever done, ever. I'm talking probably 50+ reloads each. I struggled for ages due to my inexperience at the game.

Also found Illithids incredibly amazingly hard first time round, so much so I still bear an almost unnatural hatred of them.

First time I fought Irenicus in Suldanesselar, I actually found him very hard. Dunno why, had learnt a lot more about the game, but obviously not enough. next few times I fought him, he went down pretty easy.

Sarevok took me lots of tries to beat, too. Lots and lots. I think when I finally won it was mostly down to luck.

Ya, I also didnt find DemoGorgon as hard as he should have been when I fought him, although I was playing on normal at the time.

Oh, what is the difference between normal rules and core rules?

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Hard to make a list, the difficulty changes with different party combinations, and I tend to solo a lot.

The dragon fights have always felt too easy, you trap, buff and give the dragon a high HP target while your mages kill it with nasty spells.

Easy. Charm the leader and one of the spellcasters with Aldernon's Cloak.

4. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

In BG1, Sarevok and the four ladies you encounter after exiting the mines via the side tunnel(for my level 2 party, they *were* tough!).

In BG2, Draconis and the final battle before Demogorgon. The mad general wasn't easy, either. Also, Firkraag and Shadow Dragon were both tough on level 9-10, as was the Twisted Rune.

5. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i really ****ing hate the illithids, probably more than most other guys.

a meat shield summon is an easy way though.

the two dudes in the beggining in the slums, i can't remember their names

6. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Corhvale and Bregg?

7. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

you are correct! a hat of flowers for you

8. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Twisted Rune always gave me troubles, probably because I always wanted the staff of the magi as early as possible, but it was difficult all the same.

Other than that I reckon what you listed pretty much corresponds to my own, BGI Sarevok was indeed the hardest...though I wouldn't mind trying it again - Improved Anvil has definitely taught me a lot.

oh, and the Trolls added in the druid grove by Unfinished Business were pretty difficult - I still can't knock them off :D

9. Nithus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

in my first run trough BG2:SoA I had only 1 really HARD battle! It was fight against Kagnaxx, especially when he transform himself into demi-lich. Omg, that was impossible! I didn't knew how to resist his blasted imprisonments and god know how long I tried ^^. ( now I'm using magic resistance scroll from Adventurers Mart :D )

in my current run ( I think its 256 or so... XD ) I don't understand those words:"Hard Battles" :)
    but as far as I remember, hardest fights I had problems with were:
    1. Kagnaxx - without scroll of Magic prot.

2.Draconis - invisible swine! I depleted 3 True Sights on you

3.Guardians of the 3rd seal in Watchers Keep ( 5th level ) - that takes me few tries

4.Mind Flayers encounters - I remember every fight, that was a nightmare!

5.Spell Hold, Irenicus without mad mages support - I still cannot win this battle :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Easiest "hard battles" are:
    1. Irenicus, anywhere ( except that support ^^ ) - I expected from this guy something more...

2. Demogorgon - simple lol?

3. Firkraag - sucker who have nice treasure :p

4. Sendai, Yaga Shura, Balthazaar, Abazigal - well... What can I say? Nice tries bhaalspawns ^^

5. Melissan - cheap fights...

10. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

umm..

BG1,
    First time tackling three sword spiders was NOT fun..

BG2,
    Those 3 gauths that you have to tackle before the bridge (that you can only cross after you answer a riddle). THEY WERE SO ANNOYING!! Lightning bolt every .005 seconds was what it felt like =(

BG2,
    Kangaxx.. Mass imprisonment grr..

11. merlac Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Too true, even without a scroll of magic protection. Just have Kivan with bracers of archery, composite longbow +1, some magical arrows and boots of speed hunt him down and he goes down easy.

Actually I played through BG1 & TotSC a couple of weeks ago and my plain lvl 8 fighter (161.000xp) took him one on one and won :eek: It played out that way because I wasn't paying enough attention and fudged up my preparations, so I figured let's get killed and reload. But he won, by only 10 hp though. Not entirely sure what happened, but Sarevok had a couple of misses and no criticals, while my rolls were all high enough to hit + 1 or 2 crits. I tried to do it a couple of times more and it turns out I can win 2 out 3 battles :D

I disagree on this one, but only if you get a little lucky. I had my main fighter and Kivan (in the role of archer) come up on the right side stairs, my fighter draw attention and Kivan disable the mages with arrows of biting. Right after Kivan fires his first shot into a mage I had Minsc and my other 3 party members come up the left stairs, shoot some fireballs/fireball potions, then have Minsc enter melee and the rest mage/range away. The luck factor is in whether the mage makes his save against the poison from Kivans arrow, if he does the battle is tougher, if he doesn't he's down for the count.

One of the toughest fights in BG1 were the basilisks under Candlekeep, especially since I didn't expect that and therefor didn't come prepared. My mages didn't have the protection spell memorized, I didn't have a potion or scroll with me, so was completely dependant on saving throws :eek:

A laughably easy fight was that against Irenicus in Spellhold. You get to see how tough he is in all those cutscenes, Saemon Havarion tells you "he hasn't seen a dent in his armor of spells", but then my kensai/mage (dual axes, not the katana of celestial cheese) improved hasted himself and had him running with his tail between his legs before he could even cast the "duplicate all party members" spell thingy.

Worst fight in BG2 so far: beholder city. I hate those critters with a passion :mad: Shooting of spells every half second, dispelling any protections/buffs 3 times a round, whoever thought that such a creature should be implemented in the game should "jump on my sword..."

Can't really comment on the other fights yet since I haven't gotten to that part of the game yet :)

12. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Beholder city is fairly easy if you have Korgan and/or cloak of mirroring or shield of balduran :)

13. Fly2tHeSkY

I remember the FIRST time I played the original BG. Remembering some old school battles:

The mage that attacks you at the entrance to The Friendly Arm Inn (forgot his name havn't played ina while, starts with a 'T' I think) would repeatedly cast mirror image and then for SOME reason, no matter where the protagonist was, would cast magic missile and kill me everytime! Took me about 10 goes before I actually was lucky enough to disrupt the mirror image and take him down quickly! Easy now of course.. but a bitch to tackle then :p

Immediately north of the FAI, running into 2 or 3 ankegs with a lvl 1 party wasn't really too much fun either. Insta death almost. Not a specific battle but untill level 3 they were such a hassle.

The four Red wizards you meet in the forest (west of Beregost I think) were a complete joke. I was thinking, Edwin is a crazy enough spell caster at his low level so these guys must be complete powerhouses! One fireball seemed to rid my mind of that thought.

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Tarnesh, I believe.

15. Fly2tHeSkY

Ahh yes that's it. "He was all wit and charm before you arrived" - 'Till we were forced to kill yet another of the many assassins after us :rolleyes: He was one of the hardest I think too lol.

Did anyone ever get attacked while moving from one Cloakwood area to another? It ALWAYS seemed to be 3 - 4 phase spiders AND 3 - 4 wyverns at a time, and I just couldn't handle it :o

16. Tillix Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Uh, what was the name of that demon that was "reborn" in the clerics around him? I think it was in a cellar in TotsC anywhere... that one was tough.... Or am I confused with IWD 1?
    Sarevok IS a worthy opponent as well...

17. merlac Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Oh I remember that demon! It's the one that gets released from the soultaker dagger found in Durlags Tower. Man that fight is seriously tough if you don't prepare yourself correctly, especially if you do all the religious fanatics fights and go straight to the demon without sleeping beforehand. That took me a couple of reloads until I read somewhere that the demons gaze attack is stopped by potions of mirrored eyes. When all party members are immune to that he is a breeze :D

18. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    It's usually either many ghasts or 2 spideys and 2 wyverns. There's something like a 1 out of 3 chance of *not* getting attacked which is fun. I usually just reload them if I'm not soloing, eff the XP and remaining true to RPGing. If I am soloing, however, I just charm one of the wyverns and hope there's enough health potions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.