1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you know some potent spell combinations?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Sloty, Jun 27, 2015.

1. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Atrocious is an exaggeration. Yes, he's probably not a native speaker, but that's most apparent from his punctuation and choice of words ("lavish"?). His grammar is fine, barring a few minor plural and article mishaps. Really not worth such criticism.
    I taught English in China for over 3 years - after such an apocalisp, one becomes far more tolerant of small errors.

Back to the topic: When it comes to buffs, I really appreciate the long-lasting ones like Bless, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Mage Armor and so on. There are few enemy wizards who will cast Dispel, and it will often be saved against if they do. IWD2 encourages long-term buffing, and this makes it far more a caster's game than BG2, where it's all about taking out mages with well-equipped warriors.

2. claudius Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I haven't tried this combo yet but the idea occurred to me when I leveled to sorcerer 12 and I also have a level 11 Diviner. But the combo in mind is to buff some characters that will be in the front of a battle with Protection from Acid which I believe is a 5th level arcane spell and then have the Sorcerer cast 1 or multiple Acid Fog spells on top of the melee pile in a big (important) fight. That spell does 2d6 acid/round for 10 rounds with NO save for 1/2. My Sorcerer has Aqua Mortis so it will do on average 8 damage/round per fog up and the Protection from Acid Spell will reduce acid damage by 10 for each hit from acid so those protected will only take damage when the Fog rolls to deal out 11 damage (and then they'll only take 1 damage). Protection from Acid lasts 10 rounds/level so right now my party can have their protection last 110 rounds per casting and it could trivialize some battle I imagine. Or at least be fun to 'play with'.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I gave up trying protections spells after I tried casting "protection from fire" spells on my front-liners, then killed them by dropping a few fireballs on the enemy they were engaged in melee with.

Then I tried protection from lightning outside the Horde Fortress to let a rogue destroy the war drum and attempt to backstab that guy that casts call lightning whose name I can't remember how to spell and don't feel like looking up. The Rogue succeeded in backstabbing him, but then got fried by lightning for massive damage despite having the best protection I could cast on him.
    I was disgusted that a 4th level spell couldn't counter a 3rd level spell.

I decided the protection spells weren't worth it when you could cast an offensive spell instead.

Maybe I should have experimented more.

4. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Yeah the combo I thought of is not huge spike damage which the 10 damage protection available from Protection from Acid will provide would not be very successful to ward off. Acid Storm would not work because it's a huge amount of spike damage and your front line only has 10 protection.

But it's a different story with Acid Fog which lasts 10 rounds and slows movement and deals 2d6 damage NO save. So the 10 protection will protect against all of the damage most rounds (on 2d6 roles of less than 11 + aqua mortis if you have that). The difference is a small amount of damage each round instead of a huge spike like fireball. So I'm thinking of a good thing when you have lot of hit points sponges to clear have the tanks move the battle away from vulnerable friends and then stack 3 Acid Fogs on top of the hit point sponges. Not sure where I'll use this but I have the combo now and I could give it a try against the Hook Horrors which are the next challenge. Might help to clear them fast on one side when they ambush from both sides.

5. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Tested this with Driders and Hook Horrors. It works really good in terms of not damaging whoever is protected with protection from acid. It does not clear dangerous enemies in a hurry like casters but I never thought it would rather I thought of it as a spell slot efficient way of clearing large amounts of Hitpoint sponges (like Driders). The only problem is you use spell slots for protections and you could have used those for animate dead or Sunfire. By the way keep in mind not to use animate dead and acid fog at same time.. I haven't tested but I think acid will damage them. And also be careful with summons that can go hostile when you damage them. I am not sure which ones do this. These days I don't clear areas with 6 animated (slow) undead like I used to.... but I like the animate dead spell or other summons for certain battles. Just don't combine acid fog and summons same battle (probably).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.