1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does anyone think Heroes of Might and Magic 2 is better than Heroes 3?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Tassadar, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I recently reinstalled Heroes of Might and Magic 2 again, and I found it a lot more addictive than Heroes 3 (which initially was appealing, but then lost me). It's just a lot simpler and direct especially with towns, structures and hero types. The music is superior as well. What does everyone else think?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

The original (HoMM1) was perfect. The only thing it didn't have was lots of choices, but that's changed in 3. I got all three at the same time, so I was able to take them in order, and I found 2 to be pretty good, but when I go back to a game in that series, it's almost always 3. 2 certainly had its charms, but IMO 1 is the best environment-wise, and 3 is the best play-wise. So I guess my preferences go: 3, 1, 2.

Don't get me wrong, though, I've got a soft spot for all the HoMM games. In 2, the differences between town types reminded me pleasantly of Starcraft, and having only some units upgradable makes a lot more sense than how they do it in 3. I loved how they did the wizard town (especially those cute little halflings), and I've got some fond memories of a couple of 'wizard quest' scenarios that make me revisit the game every once in a blue moon. But when compared to the others, it just doesn't hold up.

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Yeah the capability to upgrade certain units only was a good feature. I also preferred some of the creatures in HOMM2 to HOMM3, like the Paladin and Ogre Lord.

On a difficulty scale, I found HOMM3 much more difficult than HOMM2.

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I like the undead and the music better in '2', but overall I like 3 best.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    On my old computer, I was able to run Heroes I and III but not II. I wonder, why doesn't anyone mention Heroes IV when talking about the series?

6. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i like number 2 a bit better than 3

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Strange Chev, Heroes 2 would not work on Service Pack 2, so I uninstalled it (SP2 not the game).

As for Heroes 4, well I found that game incredibely tacky - (quest "having to endure months of grass burgers.. blah blah blah"), and the magic system was annoying.

8. chevalier

Media:
    The expansions are even more tacky, from what I've heard. I did like the storyline and some aspects of gameplay, though III was better. I don't remember what system I had when I tried to run II, but it was before XP SP2, that's for sure.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've only ever played the 3rd one (which is good) and the 4th one (which is ****). I'll have to see if I can see the 2nd one knocking around in the shops anywhere. It's getting a bit old now...

10. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Maybe it's a nostalgia thing. 3 definitely has a lot of nifty features, and the combat/spells area has improved a lot.

11. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

No, 2 was good but limited. I liked the opera style music - get the 2 expansions for heroes 3 and its a classic.
    The randomn map generator really increases the longevity of the game. Think I might install it on my new machine this weekend.
    Avoid the Wrath of Gods mod on the net - did'nt like that one bit.

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Homm3's the most addictive for me. It's the one I always return to when I want to play a single map for the fun of it. Homm2 has fantastic music though, the opera-style idea was sheer brilliance, not to mention rather daring at the time.

As for Homm4... didn't like the game much, but again the music's good.

Never played Homm1, and it's become impossible to find now unfortunately. Should have bought the Homm Platinum Edition right before 3DO went bankrupt.

13. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think the first one was the best simply because it was the first one I played. I liked the less serious style of drawing in it and of course it gave the most original feeling. HoMM2 and 3 were good but they just did not give the same original expirience as the first game of the series.

14. chevalier

Media:
    Hmm... now that you say that, yeah. That's also the reason I liked Warcraft II so much when it came out, much more than Warcraft III when it did. Or the ever underrenowned Black Moon Chronicles from Cryo (which you must get if you haven't yet and I take full responsibility for recommending).

15. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

What's this talk about a second expansion for HoMM3? I have Armaggedons Blade, but I never knew there was another....
    :borg:

On topic: having played all 4 games, I like 3 the best. 1 was the first one I played, and that was also great, but the third one simply has the nicest feel to it. The only good thing about 4 were the fact that heroes weren't parked on the sideline, but otherwise, it didn't look and feel very good, and it was quite easy to build an überhero who could obliterate armies all by himself if you played through the campaigns. In the nature campaign, I ended up not even using armies anymore - they just slowed my here down x_x.

I didn't like II as much - maybe because I got it well after III, but it didn't look good, and I just generally didn't get into it. *shrug*

:borg:

16. chevalier

Media:
    Shadow of Death it was. I don't remember if this one introduced random maps or Armageddon's Blade already did.

17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Nope, random map generator was already there in AB. But SoD introduced combination artifacts, which was quite a nifty idea. And IMO the campaigns in SoD are a lot of fun, much better than the ones in AB.

Strictly speaking SoD isn't an "expansion" in the classical sense because you can install it by itself without either RoE or AB. I think for the best Homm3 experience though you'd have to install all three of them. Then again I'm partial to the Conflux, which is one the reasons I like Homm3 so much.

18. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Heroes II is where it began for me, thus it is my absolute favourite. While Heroes III offers more choices and is an upgrade to almost everything that Homm II offered it does not have that special feeling.

And as many already noticed the music and especially the sound effects are brilliant. I hope Homm V can live up to what Homm I, II, III, and IV have achieved.

19. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

HOMM V looks superb. I think Nival are responsible for the engine, which is based on the one from the Silent Storm games (which I absolutely love), so the results should be nothing short of stunning. Can't wait!

20. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Rumour has it that you can get the beta version of the game, via bit torrent sites.
    I will be buying the original when it arrives.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.