1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does Elminster Die?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by hooligan_inc, Sep 10, 2000.

1. hooligan_inc Guest

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

In BG? Nah, he lives.

Sylvus

3. Elminster is the most famous person in the Realms (curses to Ed Greenwood for his lame character names). He will never ever die. He saves the realm on the average of 4 times a day. Some pesky little dopplegangers will not be able to stop him.
    What you saw was a doppleganger disguised as the Great E (I refuse to type that name anymore).

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

El is a good name, much better than the overly used Raistlin which I no doubt spelt wrong in the first place.

Raistlin and Drizzt' can rot in the pits of hell for all I care.

Sylvus

5. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Ofcourse not, Elminster is one of the signature characters of the ralms, and as such won't be offed unless WotC/TSR decide it would make a great book. Mind you, on average Ed Greenwood recieves 5 or 6 letters a day from people saying their character killed Elminster. What sad lives these people must lead if their only goal in the realms is to off Elminster...

Dranalis DeAealth likes this.
  6. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Wow.....that's.....sick.

Why do you guys dislike Ed Greenwood, Elminster, Drizzt or Raistlin so much?

7. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

I don't, i like those chsrscters. They sort of give the setting some colour.

8. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

Well, my only grouse so far is that every campaign you go you always hear the same names: Khelben, Drizzt, Elminster and so on. And they're basically window dressing.

Like what does Elminster do in Baldur's Gate?

Geez.

I also heard the AD & D stories are sucky, but I don't know because I never read them.

9. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

I dislike Drizz't due to his popularity with people, always wanting to play Dark Elves and be a Ranger who has come forth from the Underdark as a saviour and hero and... just...makes...me...sick. It's been over used too much.

Raistlin is the exact same. Raistlin this, Raistlin that, people using the name as a handle, a nick, alias...just...makes...me...sick. Originality people.

Elminster on the other hand is too cool. He doesn't stick out like a sore thumb the way the other two mentioned above do or at least with "fans" wanting to be like him or use his name.

I think I've come to hate the people who use Driztt and Raistlin more because of the way they post on message boards.

"yO! R dark elfs in da game cuz i wanna get da bonus elf stuff and magic items and kick some ass yo!" as an example for someone using the name Drizzt.

The idea was great when the books came out, but it seems like he's appearing in these games (BG, BG2) just for the sake of popularity with people who follow and love him so much. To me, bury him 6 feet under already and come up with a new hero.

Syl...

10. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Ah, I understand what you mean Syl, and I agree too! I have the same problem with people that call themselves "BSB-Nick Carter" or "Britney Spears".

Do you guys read any of those AD & D books? Are they any good at all? I'm not really into fantasy and if it weren't for Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment I wouldn't even know about AD & D either.

I flicked through a book called "Waterdeep" however, and it seemed to suck. Cheesy names and characterization, etc. Not exactly Tolkienesque. :D

I might be biased though. If you guys say it's worth a read I'll go and read it.

11. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

I've read a few of them, mostly The Harper series. Good reads are Tolkien, David Eddings and Robert Jordan if you like long epic tales of fantasy. By far the three best IMO.

Syl...

12. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Tolkien is great, although I found all that talk about honour and heraldry and elves quite boring. :p

Then I read Don Quixote, and MY, what an interesting contrast, hehe!

13. L'Israe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Tolkien is great, I agree, but have any of you read books by Anne McCaffrey??
    They're quite good and give an alternate perspective to science fiction.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Next time please start a new topic Rakanishu. This isn't very related to Death O' Elminster. hehe

Talking about books... check out http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/

All of my favorites are there, and 90% of the books very good (as you can see in the reviews).
    Actually the worst of the bunch are the novels written after the games, the BG ones especially. Athans must be one of the worst writers in history.
    Though the Torment novel isn't that bad. But again only compared to the BG ones. The writing in the game was 100% better. I wonder why don't they let the people who made the dialogue in Torment write the books as well.

15. Drizzt is too much of a goody-two shoes. For someone who has as dark of a past as he, he's a canidate for the "Shirley Temple doo-gooder's club".

I hate Ed Greenwood because I made the mistake of buying two of his books and have been upset ever since. This guy just can't write!

Most of the earlier forgotten realms books are pretty good. The Moonshae trilogy (Douglas Niles), the Alias books (Grubb Novak), Salvatore's Cleric Quintet. They don't seem to be doing that many series anymore, most of the new books are about the Harpers (whom I'm getting awfully sick of).

16. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Phillip Athans is a no-talent ass-clown. BG2 is so juvinile I ended up finishing it in a few hours. I'd like to see some books on the Zhentarim, and the Red Wizards. I'd like to see them written by Greenwood, the third best fantasy writer ever. (Tolkein is first, and Feist is second).

Dranalis DeAealth likes this.
  17. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

[​IMG] I made the mistake of buying BG2 novel as well. It has shown me just how bad an author can be. Thinking of usuing my copy of it as novelty toilet paper ;) Just as well i didn't find the BG novel over here, even though i looked for it everywhere.

18. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

you know, the pages are fairly durable ;)

19. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

They should turn Drizzt evil, for the sake of goodness. He feels turning evil will better the side of good in the long run. That could make things interesting.

Syl...

20. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

So is Elminster & Gorian in the dungeons actually dopplegangers? I'm wondering coz after that you never see them again!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.