1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age: Origins "Violence" Trailer

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Azereki, May 12, 2009.

1. Azereki Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG]The newest trailer for Dragon Age: Origins is oddly reminiscent of the movie 300.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    All I can say is... wow!

3. Nekator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Man, what a game this could become.... bloody Battles, ambient Roleplay, great Graphics... lets just hope they deliver all this.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    All I can say is...I hope the soundtrack is going to be a lot better than THAT. Other than that, just a cheap marketing exercise with some bad dialogue.

5. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Fire the guy who chose the music. I for one wasn't expecting 14 year old goths to be the target audience.

And don't tell me "sex scene". Again? :bad:

EDIT: Exactly (read the first post)

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    That was... embarassing.

I hope this is a marketing blunder and the game is nothing like this...

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    So which part was inappropriate for children? .... Oh wait, it is the title of the soundtrack right?

I have to agree with most of the people here. I hope the game is nothing like this, but after playing a bit of NWN2 I've got a pretty good feeling that this is going to be another teen-oriented role-playing game.

*sigh*
    I'm old! :geezer:

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Choice of music was terrible for an RPG trailer, but game looked all right. Will definitely give it a fair go.

9. Nekator Gems: 3/31

go whine a bit more?

14 year old goths, caus its manson? There´s nothing better than foster the own prejudice, hm?

10. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Will do.

Usually, and maybe this sounds crazy, trailers reflect the mood of the game. Now, Dragon Age was called it the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. And what I'm saying is: "The spirit of Baldur's Gate wasn't Marilyn Manson".

Un-whine (sort of): The trailer is alright if you mute the music, ignore the sex scene and remember that this is the Violence trailer, which explains the well, violence.

What I'm (and I would expect most people who are following the news about DA) saying is that release a new trailer with fantasy, in-game, music and some non-fighting stuff. Also, stop revealing every darn plot point.

Chandos the Red likes this.
  11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    With as many game trailers as they release for each game nowadays, it follows logically that you use different trailers to show to the public different aspects of the game. This trailer is obviously intended to show off the fact that this game is intended for a mature audience, and it fits to use this kind of music to this theme of violence and blood. Adjust the music to what is shown, so to say.

Rather than commenting on the music, wouldn't it be more correct to say that you didn't like the theme of this trailer? That it implies that this game may seem to revolve more about the gore and titties than the story? That perhaps the game was designed to appeal to an audience that looks for these things in games? Or at least that the marketing department thought that it was a good idea to market the game as such.

12. Nekator Gems: 3/31

It is ONE trailer, which shows mainly the fighting spirit, Battles and their preparations, which fit imo really good in any Fantasy Setting. To be honest, i don´t want a RPG, in which you could only play an elf on the quest for the nicest flower and so on.

All in all, it shows that the game has mature content, which i´m satisfied, since i am mature, and don´t need Flower Power Roleplay. Furthermore, since you´re so hard on the Fantasy Aspect, i prefer fitting music, also to the non peaceful moments. So, the manson song is (alas it´s not his best) truly fitting to the atmosphere of the content.

To imply from one trailer on the whole game, or even worse, on the people who may like it, is just very unfitting, to say it nicely.

Alas i agree with you´re last sentence, the story should´nt be already half told, before the game is out.

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Really? Don't make me laugh (oh, you did say the "game," not the trailer). And I agree about the music: Instead of just "whining" we should take up a collection to buy those boys some more lessons.

Really?

14. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I like metal, so the song was not bad. Wrong for an in depth RPG. Well I hope that their Action-Console-rpg will sell nicely. No pre-orders anymore for Bioware games.

Silly armor. Go to any castle or museum to look how it is supposed to look. Stop insulting us whit manga style ****.

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    That's fair enough, Merlanni. To each, his own. :)

16. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

This trailer certainly has caught the attention of a lot of people, so it was successful in one way at least. Also remember that this is supposed to be a dark fantasy setting, rather than high fantasy (BG series), so violence and horror is to be expected.

17. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I must confess I liked the trailer, it's really made me look forward to the game, if a bit confused as to how it actually plays (I haven't bothered looking at any previews). I wouldn't mind another game in the vein of The Witcher but I'd be amazed if the kind of language used in the song is actually used in the game. And I just know the "sex scene" is going to be just embarassing. It won't even be titillating so what's the point?

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, it wasn't that "violent or horrific," as it was just cheap and silly. But that's just my opinion.

19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    That's the problem with so many "mature" games, isn't it? The mere presence of violence and sex is considered to make the product mature, even when both elements are used very immaturely and cheaply. It's the difference between seeing a trailer and thinking "the violence makes this dark and grim", or thinking "the violence in this game makes it look incredibly silly". This particular trailer clearly fell in the second category for many of us.

20. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    I do agree. Mature content definitely does not equate to a mature game (and with sex and violence, these mature content ironically tend to be juvenile really). Sex and violence may be found in good games but it sex and violence does not make a game good. But perhaps we are judging this trailer alittle harshly. Mind you, I thought it was a pretty silly trailer with a horrible song. But, it is but one of their many trailers and I suppose their marketing department just has to try to reach out as far as possible, from old school rpgers to those more interested in... er, 'mature content'.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.