1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drow and penalties

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Corr Raven, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Ok, I read somewhere that some races will receive penalties and have some disadvantages, among them the drow. What does that mean? That they lose experience? Have less proficiencies? I would make sense if the drow received a penalty to THACO (or whatever it's called in IWD2) and AC during the day; and that they have some extra abilities at night.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] DROW ELF:

Dark elves, also known as drow, are the subterranean cousins of high elves. Their black skin and pale hair are a curse for their allegiance with the spider goddess, Lolth. Drow societies are usually ruled by cruel priestesses of Lolth and their noble houses. Dark elves are known for their arrogance, cruelty, and penchant for civil war.

Advantages:
    +2 to Dexterity, +2 to Intelligence, Faerie Fire 3/day, 25% Magic Resistance +1% per level, 90% Resistance to sleep and charm spells, +1 Attack Bonus with large swords and bows (not crossbows), +5% Pick Pockets, +5% Move Silently, +10% Hide in Shadows.

Disadvantages:
    -2 to Constitution, -50% Experience Points through 10th level (about one level lower), -2 Attack Bonus, Damage, and Saving Throws when outside during the day, -5% Open Locks.

Check this out: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD2/races.php

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited February 20, 2002).]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Wow ... only 1/2 of the Experience. That's kinda harsh. I guess the resistances MORE than make up for it though ....

My real question ... why no bonus with crossbows? From my Lair of the Spider Queen / Vault of the Drow days, I remeber that most of the drow warriors had those cool wrist crossbows. I actually don't remember running into any with long bows ... :confused:

4. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] Any news on how the drow magic resistance is going to be inplemented in IWD2? Will it only affect offensive spells against the character in question or will it affect everything, including healing spells etc. , as in BG1 with Viconia?

5. Lord Sarevok Guest

Wow +2 intelligence and +2 dex? This race is REALLY gonna work well with mage/thieves! And a thief's best time is at night anyway!

Oh, and I'm gonna LOVE that magic resistance! Drow Wizard Slayer :grin:!

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited February 24, 2002).]

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I'm not sure I understand the language. Does it mean that drow XP penalty stops after 10th level?

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited February 24, 2002).]

7. Black Rose Guest

In a word, yes.

8. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

(Sir Dargorn slaps Lord Sarevock for daring to say he likes Wizard Slayers)
    But i must agree, the benifts firmly outweigh the disadvantages. Personally i will be taking my drow ranger as first choice.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Lokken, as for the XP-Penalty, this is from a forum update ;) :

The game also includes an XP-penalty for multiclassed exotic races :D

btw - there will also be an xp-penalty for humans multiclassing (since they have the advantage to dualclass) :
    [This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited February 24, 2002).]

10. DemoGorgon Guest

That does seem pretty harsh, It would seem that they will need a lot of protection, early on especially.

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Hmm, I doubt that. See, it'll only take you one level - and that will happen on lvl-10. So at that point your char won't need too much protection any longer. This is the only time the xp penalty comes to work.

12. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

That is unless you are a Svirfneblin and you take a 60% experience cut. Ouch.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.