1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual-classing questions

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Enagonios, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] i just rolled a great stalker (with the intention of dualling to thief). In his stats, I maxed out STR, CON and WIS which are the Ranger's primary attributes. I also maxed out on DEX which is a thief's primary attribute. So why do I only get the option to dual to cleric? Is dualling from Stalker to thief not possible? :bang:

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Short answer: no, though you should be able to.
    Long answer, give this a try:
    </font>
    1. Get the Ranger stronghold
    2. Become Fallen (can do this easily with multiple Slayer changes or generally just killing everything in sight)
    3. Dual to thief after doing several quests but not completing them (you'll need quick XP later)
    4. Raise your rep back up to reasonable levels (via temple donating or just general good deeds)
    5. Regain your Fallen Stalker levels with the unfinished quests (the quick XP)
    6. Finish the ranger stronghold to regain your rangerhood and become a Stalker again.
    That may or may not work, because the game engine isn't set up to handle a character that's part ranger and part thief. Use at your own risk.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Fel

That's what I mean, why am I NOT allowed to do it? :confused: I don't really know much about PnP but afaik there's no reason why this shouldn't be possible since I chose a CG alignment and iirc the only restriction on thieves is a lawful alignment..

I guess the most practical way to do this would be to SK it :(

I know that in an SoA-only game, the best level to dc would be at level 9 (I've tried from Kensai to Mage and from Berserker to Cleric) but since a thief levels up more quickly, what would be the ideal level to dc from a stalker?

also :o how exactly can i edit this particular dc kit through SK?

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    The infinity engine only allows dual classes that would also be a viable multiclass. It's just an engine limitation, sorry. The trick suggested is unlikely to work and if it did work, for some freak reason, it would actually break your game and you'd have to start over from before you dual classed.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

curses! what about my other 2 questions then Drew? assuming it were possible to do this dc (through SK) what level should I dual at? and how would I use SK to do this dc?

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Well, level 9 for the max HP, but iirc stalkers get those extra spells at level 12.

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Why do you want a Stalker/Thief anyway? You can already backstab ...

Felinoid's trick should work. I remember someone once mentioned Paladin/Clerics :hmm:

Complete the Umar hills quest and accept the stronghold. Go kill some innocents. Your rep will drop and you become a fallen Ranger, basically a Fighter. Now dual to thief. Finish the stronghold quests. At the end your fallen status is removed and you are now a Stalker/Thief :thumb: I hope that works...

You can easily gain levels as a Thief. I have played a Kensai[13]/Thief[x] in the past and it was a breeze.

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

SK would most definitely not work; there's simply no option for it. I'm afraid what Drew said is probably true, and even if it did somehow survive some use, your game would probably be bugging worse than you've ever seen and crashing at random.

@Shrikant:
    Paladin/Cleric should be the same story. Either you're thinking of Ranger/Cleric, or a PnP character (where Paladin/Cleric is of course allowed).

The simple truth about duals and multis is that in BG2 they are limited to what the engine has values for. There's a separate value for each dual/multi (one for F/T, one for M/T, one for F/M, one for F/M/T, etc.), and those that aren't covered simply aren't possible. It's complete BS, but that's just how it is. :grr:

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

curses :bang:

>sigh< maybe I'll just do another Kensage, never did get to finish my last one..

10. Drew

Media:
    If you somehow manage to play an illegal multiclass, the game will crash. (No matter how you trick it, unfortunately.)

11. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Or you will end up with a fallen Ranger which like a fallen pally is just a true class fighter... no icing on the cake. :(

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

thanks for the replies all but this looks like a doomed enterprise :( i guess i'll just do a kensage and actually see it through this time around.. lower roll though :/

just a side question, i read somewhere that classes with less stat requirements (i.e. fighter) roll lower than classes with higher ones (i.e. ranger). Is this true?

13. Drew

Media:
    The class doesn't actually change. Fallen Rangers are still Rangers. Fallen Paladins are still Paladins. I know this isn't true in 2E, but it is in BG2.

14. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

yes you get higher rolls with higher requierment classes because of minimum stat clause. When the game rolls your stats it will give any score down to the minimum for the class you want and race you want. Palidans have to have cha of 17+ so the game will only roll 17s and 18s for that character. This is good for high rolls but it does make it harder to custumize your character because if you want to min/max stats and you want to take away one stat to another. For example if you rolled a 17 wis for a vanilla ranger and a 13 for charisma you can only lower wisdom to 14 as that is the ranger minimum thus preventing you from maxing your cha.

15. virtualsri Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

are you perchance LAwful good or something??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

16. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Who are you asking? The person who posted this 7 years ago, and who's not around to see your question or answer? :rolleyes:

17. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Not only that, why are you resurrecting 6 different threads from around 5-7 years back with borderline irrelevant comments? (Or in this case actually irrelevant comments.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.