1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual or Multi my Skald using Shadowkeeper?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by jaice200, Dec 23, 2013.

1. jaice200 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi guys. First thank you for viewing my plea for help. I am a noob to modding and decided to start up BG2 after years. My favorite character has always been the bard. I wanted to mod him somehow to allow him to be more tanky, specifically I would like something akin to Skald/Fighter. Is this possible using Shadowkeeper? I also was told to modify my dual class options in this file which i did here
    2DA V1.0
    FIGHTER CLERIC MAGE THIEF DRUID RANGER
    MAGE 1 1 0 1 0 0
    FIGHTER 0 1 1 1 1 0
    CLERIC 1 0 1 1 0 1
    THIEF 1 1 1 0 0 0
    BARD 1 1 1 1 1 1
    PALADIN 1 1 1 1 1 1
    DRUID 1 0 0 0 0 0
    RANGER 0 1 0 0 0 0
    FIGHTER_MAGE 0 0 0 0 0 0
    FIGHTER_CLERIC 0 0 0 0 0 0
    FIGHTER_THIEF 0 0 0 0 0 0
    FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF 0 0 0 0 0 0
    MAGE_THIEF 0 0 0 0 0 0
    CLERIC_MAGE 0 0 0 0 0 0
    CLERIC_THIEF 0 0 0 0 0 0
    FIGHTER_DRUID 0 0 0 0 0 0
    FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC 0 0 0 0 0 0
    CLERIC_RANGER 0 0 0 0 0 0
    ABJURER 1 1 0 1 0 0
    CONJURER 1 1 0 1 0 0
    DIVINER 1 1 0 1 0 0
    ENCHANTER 1 1 0 1 0 0
    ILLUSIONIST 1 1 0 1 0 0
    INVOKER 1 1 0 1 0 0
    NECROMANCER 1 1 0 1 0 0
    TRANSMUTER 1 1 0 1 0 0
    BERSERKER 0 1 1 1 1 0
    WIZARD_SLAYER 0 1 1 1 1 0
    KENSAI 0 1 1 1 1 0
    CAVALIER 0 0 0 0 0 0
    INQUISITOR 0 0 0 0 0 0
    UNDEAD_HUNTER 0 0 0 0 0 0
    FERALAN 0 0 0 0 0 0
    STALKER 0 0 0 0 0 0
    BEASTMASTER 0 1 0 0 0 0
    ASSASIN 1 1 1 0 0 0
    BOUNTY_HUNTER 1 1 1 0 0 0
    SWASHBUCKLER 1 1 1 0 0 0
    BLADE 0 0 0 0 0 0
    JESTER 0 0 0 0 0 0
    SKALD 1 1 1 1 1 1
    TOTEMIC_DRUID 1 0 0 0 0 0
    SHAPESHIFTER 1 0 0 0 0 0
    BEAST_FRIEND 1 0 0 0 0 0
    TALOS 1 0 1 1 0 1
    HELM 1 0 1 1 0 1
    LATHANDER 1 0 1 1 0 1

The formatting is kind of messed up there, but I have bard and Skald with all 1s in their respective columns. I tried playing around a bit with Shadowkeeper, but I have been unsuccessful in getting my Skald to take another class. People have been saying in random threads that I have found it is possible, but not giving the run down on how to do it. So if anyone could please help, let me know. If its not possible, Ill just give him a bit of a THACO and AC buff in Shadowkeeper and call it a day. Thanks!

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

IIRC, dualling certain combinations is impossible due to hardcoded engine limitations; i.e. you can try and tweak the variables to allow it, but if you do, the game'll crash. Bard and Pally are two that this is true for, but there are others.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    That is correct, and Shadowkeeper won't let you dual to invalid choices for that reason. It's also part of 2nd edition rules directly from the Player's Handbook.

BTW, you might want to try using CODE tags instead of SPOILER tags, it will use a monospace font and have less effect on your formatting.

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, while the racial limitations regarding multiclassing found in BG2 were accurate for the most part, there was nothing in the 2e PHB that limited dual class options in such a way. Humans could dual to any class for which they had the prerequisites. Paladins could dual class to clerics, true neutral bards could become druids, fighters could dual class to bard and vice-versa. The behavior on display in BG2 is actually due to an engine limitation, not 2e rules.

5. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

The first class, the "dual from" class, and the second class, the "dual to" class, must make a valid multiclass combination!? This severely limits the choices. In the early 1990s the Gold Box games never had this hassle, those that allowed dual-classing.
    Then you have alignment restrictions to worry about too.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The Gold box were first edition AD&D rules, and I was thinking of second edition AD&D rules.

I might be remembering wrong however. I'll have to pull out the book and check, but I keep forgetting.

Would it be a terrible sin to try to find a downloadable searchable copy of the second edition books, books that have been out of print for over a decade if I own the hardcovers?

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    True, those restrictions were never in the gold box edition, primarily because those restrictions never existed in either first or second edition. The valid multiclass combination requirement caveat is only there due to an engine limitation.

8. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.