1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

E3 2005 Booth Babes

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, May 20, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    At every E3, there are also inevitably hundreds of so-called "booth babes", and this year is no exception. If you want to see what this phenomenon is all about, here is your chance. First, Frangland has six pages of a booth babe gallery. Futurelooks has only three pages, but shows more flesh. LANManiac has 269 pictures on 9 pages and some of them are gross, so be warned. Minors perhaps shouldn't be looking at those. Boomtown shows quite a lot of flesh and runs a Babe of the Day feature. Gametown has somewhat gentler pictures and Ten Ton Hammer has two pages with a couple of gross pictures, so be warned again.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And a few more galleries, if the barrage above is not enough for you: GamersHell.

3. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Incidentally... I posted this stuff here because I know some of our visitors aren't really familiar with the concept of game trade shows, such as E3, and what goes on there. Considering that scantily clad women are a mainstay of such shows, I thought it'd be interesting to show a few examples and get some opinions from people on what they think about it all.

It was pointed out to me that I didn't really make this clear in my post (oops), so I guess some people must have been wondering what I'm doing posting that stuff. :D

Anyway, please discuss, as this is really the sole purpose of this news post.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    My opinion is a tad bit split. First, I like the idea of models acting as game characters, whichever gender it is. Posing to photos... well, like celebrity photos: who wouldn't like one? I mean, at least with one's favourite actor or writer or whomever. So when it's kept decent, it's all right and even nice.

As for girls who don't keep it decent... okay, girls are supposed to be beautiful and all, but that stuff reeks with sex. Arousing people sexually for monetary gain is a form of prostitution. It's also cheating for anyone who's in a relationship. Not like it's all right for single people, but anyway. You get the point.

Not only the models bear the blame -- most likely they don't think they're being bad girls -- except maybe those who pose to thong butt close-ups and close cleavage close-ups. So: photographers are to blame. Those guys' attitude sucks. They don't deserve a woman. Guys who hire them have a sucky attitude, as well. They should one day see their daughters in that position -- this would show them. Finally, guys who have girlfriends or wives but still drool over booth babes and get out of their skins to touch one, they don't deserve a woman. Especially if they take photos in which they are touching booth babes in questionable ways. That sucks. They deserve a slap across the kisser and a solid kick in the ass from their girlfriend's brother.

If I were a girl, I would understand a boyfriend getting a photo with Lara or Jaheira, whoever plays them, because it's his favourite character and all. But when a guy who is in a relationship starts drooling over a random booth babe who isn't playing anyone and gets a photo with his hand around her chest? That's wrong. Those guys will probably never grow up.

5. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, I don't really know what to say about it. I don't much care for it -- and am not sure what the purpose is (other to take a few sleazy photos and post them). I mean, I always thought people went to these conventions to see what's new and up and coming. This is nothing but sleaze and it would probably stop me from going there. I wonder how many female gamers do go to these conventions and have to be faced with this crap?

And you're right chev -- it's one thing to dress like that -- it's another thing to pose for pictures like what we've seen. 2 very different things.

[ May 20, 2005, 22:38: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I found some of the photos very sleazy but that was the photographer. Where there were women dressed in 'fantasy costumes' I found them silly.

All these photos did was reinforce my idea that game developers/publishers don't take women seriously except as sex objects.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I really don't see why it's necessary at a game expo - surely if you wanted to see scantilly clad women you would go to a strip show or nightclub or something. It kinda takes away from the purpose of having such an expo.

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

If you need booth babes to sell your games, your games must suck very much indeed! This is about on par with the annual Sex Expos! In fact replace "Activision" with "Vivid" and you wouldn't know it was a games convention.

9. chevalier

Media:
    You make my heart grow, as I listen to you...

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Tal, what did you mean with 'some pictures are gross'?

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

This stuff can really piss me off. Not because I take an especially moralistic stance (girls wanna get paid for wearing hotpants? Good luck to 'em.) but because it contributes to the stereotype of gamers as single, geeky males. As a single, geeky male gamer, I would really like to see more single, geeky females involved in the hobby. For some reason (I wonder what that would be? :lol: ) I can only see this putting women off, as well as reinforcing negative stereotypes of gamers.

@ Tassadar: no, this is way off Sex Expos. I remember taking the tube from Earl's Court when the last "Erotica" was on... there were legions of bondage gear clad ladies on the same platform as schoolkids! If chev'd been there, he'd probably have exploded! :aaa:

12. chevalier

Media:
    And called the police.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Apeman, I didn't, that was chev's news post originally, and I didn't rewrite it completely... so I guess you should ask him. :D

Anyway, my theory is that gaming shows need to have so many beautiful, partially-naked women on display to cover up the ugliness of the pretty much all-male audience. :lol:

14. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Aaahhh........That actually pretty much answered my questioned since Chev wrote it. Anyway I'll present the minority for this one. First of all how anyone can see the female body as 'gross' is beyond me. Chev you probably meant that the way in this case the female is pictured is gross, but I guess that's the religion talking again. I cannot see any reason why woman cannot walk about like that on a gameshow, in fact any show for that matter. There is absolutely no harm done in any way and how anyone could see this as even slightly offending in any way is beyond me.

Tal's theory is actually quite a good one considering the appearence of the crowd appearing on E3 and if there are woman who want to make a money by walking around all day, by all means give me one reason why not.

ROFL, I had to laugh so hard about this.......and only because I know how serious you take this :D :D

15. chevalier

Media:
    Apeman, female body isn't gross. Whole screen butt close-ups are gross, so are whole screen breasts close-ups.

There are reasons why this world is so ****ed up and not taking things like proper conduct or fidelity seriously is one. Lewdness is gross, it sucks and it reduces people to animal level.

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

What's the difference between butts and breasts being shown with close-ups and without close-ups? Sure the intentions of the photographer might be questioned but besides that..........I do not see the problem.

It's interesting to read that you put humans above animals, as we are basically the same, except for a slight difference in intelligence. In fact we according to you are worse because I've never seen an animal taking a close up picture of a 'booth-babe'.

Anyway, I haven't the slightest intention to discuss this with you because of the following two reason:

1) IMO your 'holier than thou' approach to the world has given you even something worse than a biased view.
    2) I care little about discussing a subject with someone who, judging from your postcount, has an opinion on *every subject imaginable on these boards*

17. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Uh, what's with all the insults? I mean, fine, agree to disagree, but there's really no need to start flinging insults around. If you feel so strongly about something, you should use PM, so that exchange of "opinions" on equal level can take place.

In the future, please leave offensive comments out of public replies.

18. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

The difference is that one is bad and the other is worse....and yes it goes to intent. As a female -- I don't want to look at it -- whether in picture form or at the convention itself. There ARE women who like to game, but I can't imagine many women being very comfortable in that kind of environment. Those closeups were very pointed -- they were taken for one reason only -- titillation. And you certainly can't deny it objectifies the female body -- regardless of the fact that it's a common practice these days. Many women find it insulting.

Uh, speak for yourself, please. It has been documented by many studies, that apes and chimps have the brains of a 2-3 year old. I'd like to think most of us are a bit beyond that. We have evolved into creatures that hopefully have a sense of appropriate behavior in situations where more is called for than a grunt or two. :rolleyes:

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    @Tassador;

actally, Vivid has more class.

On a more general note, I eagerly wait for the day we get scantily-clad, good-looking young men as booth-bunnies as well....

Or something like that.

20. chevalier

Media:
    And men as well. There is something, some kind of affiliation that everyone shares with everyone. We are the same species, after all. Kind of one great family, in a certain sense. When I see women treated like that, I am personally offended.

If such objectification is consensual, then someone who objectifies his or her body, also objectifies the spectator's senses somehow. The photograph objectifies both the woman in it and the guys who will be looking at it. What's that butt supposed to do? Make me drool? Eyes do more for more. Or a smile.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.