1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Easiest quests for a solo mage

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by sarevok66, Aug 16, 2009.

1. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

[​IMG] well the topic title says it all, i've been wandering around with my lvl 2 mage, i only got 2 slots for 1st lvl spells, which i both use for 'sleep' to make my foes unconscious and then finish them off with my sling, and i was wondering which quests i should start with, bearing in mind my character's weak abilities :)

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Not really a quest but you should go to the Friendly Arm inn and find a fir tree at the bottom of the map, there is a ring next to it that will double the number of your first level spells. That should get you started.

In Beregost you have a few encounters that can get you some nice XP (Silke, Marl, Firebead, a bounty hunter). Take your pick. ;)

3. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

[​IMG] thanks Caradhras, but i think i read somewhere you need to have TOTSC installed to get that tree....

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I reckon I've not played much without TotSC but it seems to me that ring is in the game nevertheless. Check that map. This ring will make soloing a mage much easier (you can even get a second one later on -they do stack).

5. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

i see we use the same references :)

alright i'll check, but before that i wanted to ask you which spells i should get in priority other than magic missiles and spider web to face the upcoming battles with sarevok's delegates ?

i'm about to be lvl4 right now, and i'm already having trouble with tanzig at the feldepost inn, so i can't imaagine how its going to be at the cloackwood forest

EDIT: can't find the ring, check this:
    http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=614139&forum=20

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] From http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/info.php#r

If you search this forum you'll also see that this has been discussed here previously, like here: http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1033

7. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

[​IMG] you're right, i should have checked... my bad

8. merlac Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have no experience with soloing, but going through a list of high xp enemies in my head 2 stand out:
    1. Sirens; only dangerous for parties since they charm, but since you're on your own if you get charmed just wait it out. They do shoot poison arrows though, so you might need to wait until you have some more hitpoints.
    2. Basilisks; pushovers after you cast protection from petrification, preferably the one that lasts 12 hours. If you attack them with range weapons, they will never enter melee attack. At 1400, 3500 and 7000 xp it a leveling up fest. **SPOILER** stay out of the center of the map though, the band of thugs is probably way over your head.

9. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Doesn't the game end if you're soloing and get charmed?

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Aren't there some fly's a solo mage can swat off a dead body somewhere?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.