1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"EasyTutu" Distribution of Tutu

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Macready, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

How much space takes the fixed version of BG? So, how much space would be needed on your disc when you want to do this? (including BG, BG2 and BGTUTU)

2. Macready Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hello -

A full install of BG1+TotSC is around 2.5GB. Although a FULL install of BG2 (and ToB if you have it) shouldn't be necessary, I always do it, and it also consumes around 2.5GB. EasyTutu copies all of the BG1 resources over, and when it's done installing (and especially if you install mods after) it can easily weigh in at over 3GB.

So, with all three installed, over 8GB. If you uninstalled BG1 after installing EasyTutu, you'd reclaim 2.5GB, and your final usage would be in the range of 6GB.

3. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

So, exept for the mods tested, would there be any reason to belive that, for example, the Ease of use mod would not be compatible? Or would I do best in not touching it? Also, if I did touch it, should I do it before or after the installation of EasyTutu?

One more question; if EasyTutu do not remove any of the old BG and BG II files, would it be possible to have more than one installation of EasyTutu?

EDIT: I might also add that what I am looking for most in the Ease of use is the "Wear Magical Armor AND Magic Rings" and perhaps the "NPCs Wont Fight Each Other or Leave" features.

[ January 19, 2006, 17:55: Message edited by: Bahir the Red ]

4. Gasha Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Ok, I fixed the problem. Turns out it was a problem with my computer that made me unable to install tutu. I've fixed the problem, and it runs perfectly, except for one thing: the tutufix doesn't seem to apply, I still get the normal BG2-GUI, and the animated water looks green. Can I fix it by installing the tutufix from Pocket Plane Groups site, or will it just f*ck up everything?

5. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

I haven't tested Ease of Use -- I don't use it. I'd be a bit leery of it, since it looks as if some of it is geared specifically toward BG2 content. If you want to try it, install it after EasyTutu.

I did take a quick glance at it, and I can tell you that many of the convenience features I see listed are also available in Tutu Tweaks, which is a well-written, professional mod aimed specifically at Tutu. Give it a close look -- I link to its home web site from the EasyTutu page.

I haven't tried to install it more than once. I can tell you that I didn't write any code specifically to prevent it. If you try it, post back and let me know your results. :)

One (small) issue which might crop up is that if you install it multiple times, and then uninstall one copy, the uninstall record may disappear from the Add/Remove Programs window, thus preventing you from uninstalling the other copies. If this does occur, any additional copies can easily be removed simply by deleting the folders to which you installed using My Computer or Windows Explorer.

@Gasha:

Glad to hear it! I saw your post at PPG about the uninstall problem. I'd have replied if I'd known what to tell you. I'm happy you figured it out.

EasyTutu does in fact give you the Tutufix core bug fixes (version 15). However, v15 does NOT include the green water fix -- the folks at PPG pulled that feature (for what reason I do not know). I'd suggest playing with 3D acceleration turned off, as it doesn't add much to the visual experience IMO.

As for the GUI -- EasyTutu does not update it. But there is an incredibly slick mod available which will, called BG1 GUI. Check out the "Mods" section of the EasyTutu page for details. Head on over to PPG (there is a link on the EasyTutu page if needed) to download it.

6. Gasha Gems: 3/31

Thanks for the help! With your tips, tutu finally works perfectly for me. This has bothered me for months, and it's finally fixed.

7. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

Great! There are still ongoing issues (random spawns can be odd, the Beregost thing mentioned in the "Known Issues" section of the EasyTutu page, and other little odds and ends), but I know that all things considered, I *much* prefer Tutu to vanilla BG1. With great mods like Tutu Tweaks and BG1 GUI, it just gets better, too.

8. Gasha Gems: 3/31

I assume that EasyTutu is compatible with all mods that the original tutu is compatible with?

9. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It should be, yeah. :)

(Or in more detail, "I've not tested EasyTutu yet but from Macready's description I see no reason why it wouldn't be".)

10. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I know I am probably an idiot so I read very carefully before I install programs. I read everything on the page, I read all of the posts on this thread, then I DL it and installed it carefully following the dirrections. When I click on the baldurs gate tutu in the programs it says that the shortcut is lost. I use exploerer and go to the drive and place where I installed it and click on it and it only opens a folder. There are lots of sub folders in the Baldurs Gate Tutu folder but none of them start the game. WTF

Yes I did do a full install of BG ToTSC with the patch, and a full install of BG2 ToB with the patch. I am baffled and frustrated, any help would be appreciated. :bang:

11. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

@Gasha:

Yes indeed. The only difference is that EasyTutu comes with the Tutufix core bug fixes already bundled into it, so you wouldn't install them like you would on a regular Tutu installation. Beyond that, all mods will work the same.

@Brallrock:

I'm sorry that you are having a problem. I'm not quite sure I understood your post exactly -- may I ask you clarify a point or two? Are you saying that when you look inside your EasyTutu folder, it is empty except for subfolders? Do any of the subfolders contain any files (the "bg1data", "bg1mov", and "override" folders are of particular interest).

Also, the shortcut is intended to run BGMain.exe -- do you see that file anywhere in your EasyTutu folder?

How much disk space do you have available on the drive to which you installed EasyTutu? If plenty, it might be worth trying to uninstall (via Windows Add/Remove Programs, and then deleting the EasyTutu folder in My Computer), run a disk scan, and then reinstall. To schedule a disk scan in Windows XP, open up My Computer, right-click the drive in question, choose Properties, click over to the Tools tab, and click the "Check Now" button in the "Error Checking" section. Check both checkboxes, and click Start. It may tell you that you'll need to reboot to run the scan -- if so, close all programs and restart your computer.

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

I have discovered a problem, which I wonder if anyone else has. Custom portraits in the portraits folder does not show in the game when you try to select them, instead, it shows that picture of the outlined guy. What is wrong?

13. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

No problems here along those lines. Are your custom portraits the correct size? 110x170 for the large one, 38x60 for the small. I am using one for my character in my current game -- I can try sending it to you to test if you like.

14. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Have you checked the size? Are they "official" portraits found on SP or are they homemade portraits? Programs like Paint let you edit picture sizes if they're not fitting perfectly.

Nonetheless, if you install EasyTutu, custom portraits do not carry over automatically. You'll have to put them in your Portraits folder (C:bad:Program Files\BaldursGateTutu\Portraits by default) manually for the actual pictures to show up.

I don't seem to have that problem - I do, however, notice that the introductory movie (Black Isle and Sarevok strangling the heck out of a Bhaalspawn soldier, along with that one proverb) is missing whenever I load up the game. Fortunately, other in-game movies (Beregost, Nashkel, Friendly Arm Inn) seem to work up properly.

Anyone else having this same issue? Nothing big, but it boggles the mind.

15. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

This is true. EasyTutu does not bring portraits over from your BG2 installation.

The introductory movie is contained in the file MovieCD1.bif in the "bg1mov" subfolder of your EasyTutu folder. Is this file present there? It may be missing or corrupt. My copy of the file is dated 08 Dec 1998 and is 77,656,592 bytes.

16. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Hmm, are the portrait size the same for BG II as for EasyTutu?

17. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

Yes, Tutu is BG1 using the BG2 engine, so BG2 portraits should work fine. You do have to copy them over from BG2 to EasyTutu as Ziggyveld described.

18. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

I have found that you can edit your Easytutu files with Shadowkeeper, if you move your save files to your BG II save directory, edit and save them, and then put it back in the EasyTutu folder. All the normal editing stuff seems to work, exept for spells, or to be specific, one spell, since adding the innitiate ability "Use any item" was the only spell I tried to add. When I did it and tried to load the save, the game crashed. It worked when I edited all the other normal stuff though.

19. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

Did you resolve your portrait issue? If so, what was the problem?

As far as Shadowkeeper goes, there is a way to point it at specific installations (on the menu bar, Settings -> Installation directory). If you point it to your EasyTutu folder, it will read the EasyTutu CHITIN.KEY, and make it far less likely that you will make game-crashing edits.

20. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Macready -

C:bad:Program Files\BaldursGateTutu\bg1mov\MovieCD1.bif has the following caracteristics:
    75,837 Ko Filesize
    Last modified 1998-12-08 6:47

Therefore, we have the same file but mine's not loading for some reason -- and I've not changed a single setting at all. Even my old screwed-up BG1Tutu install had the movie upon loading, which seems to point at the cause being EasyTutu-specific.

Is anyone else experiencing this error, or is it simply an anomaly in my install?

EDIT: I just tried viewing the actual file from the Movie menu from Baldur's Gate:

"BALDUR'S GATE

Wrong Disk in Drive D:/
    Please insert Expansion CD in drive D:/ to continue"

Even though my ToB CD *is* in my D:/ drive.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.