1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Edwin, Xan or Dynaheir?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Doomed Fated, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Eldros Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I prefer Xan...after all, he's an elf, and everybody knows elves are superior to mere humans, right? Right? Err, moving on...

As mentioned, who cares if he doesn't get magic missile or fireball? I use fireballs maybe once or twice in the entire game, and there are other nice level 1 spells to take in place of magic missile...

And about using Xan as a melee combatant...I do! If you move your fighters right up next to the monsters, then keep Xan as far away as possible while still being able to attack, monsters won't go after him. Use a spell or an item to buff up his strength a little bit so he hits more often, and you've got a decent fighter.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You have to be joking... I've used Magic Missile and Fireball the most throughout the whole game. They're the two most useful spells of all. I consider a mage not able to cast them worthless.

3. Actually, Xan does argue with Alora (I LOVE to team them up, along with Quayle, and you can laugh all day!), a Pessimist vs an Optimist. I used them in Dsotsc.

But Xan can deal damage when nesseccary (run out of spells etc) but have Edwin. His amulet seems to give him more spells. But it really depends on the following:

A nice sword
    Some more spells
    Slow Poison

4. Turandil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Edwin, don't like Xan at all, neither characteristic nor in power.

5. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The most powerful spellcaster is almost definately Edwin, since he has extra spells (his amulet) and his archmagi robe is the only one that's free (Davaeorn). Xan was my personal favourite, since I was always good aligned and if he gets stuck in hand-to-hand combat, he's the only mage that can hold his own (without h-t-h spells).

6. kinslayer01 Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] personally i chose neither, because i work my army off defence...
    mages are weak in melee and they die too quickly...
    and padlins are better then rangers...
    padlins have lay- on hands...

7. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] I don't like 'padlins'... They can't cast magic missile... Mages are much better... And thieves are better than 'padlins'...
    Thieves have hide- in shadows... *duck* *runs*

Anyway, you must be pretty good if that six-person group counts as an army. I'd like to see your army besiege a castle or something.

Ok, ok, don't hit me, I'll be serious from now on. *crosses his fingers behind his back* Considering a mage useless if he can't cast magic missile or fireball sounds a bit harsh. As someone (hi BTA :p) said, they can memorize skull trap instead. And spells like burning hands can replace magic missile. Give it a try, at least.

8. Thor'Horad Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Xan's Moon Blade does look fine, but he is still too weak in melee combats. (i dont remember any case any mage get in any melee:rolleyes:)
    so the blade is not that useful as it seems.
    now, without the blade, who needs Xan?:nono:

9. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

You said Xan is too weak in melee combat, and the blade isn't too useful. -> Blade=nearly useless. So if the blade is nearly useless, then what's the difference between Xan with or without the blade? It's like asking: "Who'd need Minsc, if he can't rage?"

10. Thor'Horad Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] all right, maybe logic is on your side:p

the blade doesn't bring Xan much score, but it doesn't hinder his spellcasting neither, after all.

IMO:
    minsc with rage -->9.5
    minsc without rage-->9.0
    not related to this topic, just posted here.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.