1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ethics question: Dealing with elderly technophobes

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, May 29, 2016.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have an elderly relative who was having trouble understanding some technology. She gave in to peer pressure and got an iPhone.
    She asked me to help with the setup of said phone.
    Not being that familiar with iPhones (I have an Android) for the initial setup, I enabled the broadcasting of the SSID for my wifi to make it easier.
    When the initial setup was finished, I disabled the broadcasting.

After some difficulties re-connecting due to the fact that I made her do it so she would learn, she could not understand how it kept working when I disabled the broadcasting.

This was a woman whose late husband and her son were Trekkies, so she knew a bit about Star Trek. She did not like Star Trek, but due to the fact that until around 1991 they only had one TV, she did see quite a bit of it when Next Generation was airing.
    So, after failing to get the concept across, I just told her that I "turned on the router's cloaking device" and that it was sill there but cloaked, and if you it is there you can access it. She knew what a cloak was from Star Trek, and I compared it to the cloak in the TOS episode "Balance of Terror" where it did not make the Romulan ship undetectable, just hard to find.

Is that ethical to just make stuff up they can understand that is close enough, but totally inaccurate? It is unlikely it will ever make any difference as I am the go-to person for all problems.

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why would it be unethical? I always use metaphors to help people grasp difficult concepts, even if they aren't accurate. If the person you're instructing manages to understand the matter well enough to allow them to functionally use that knowledge in a sufficient capacity, then it's all well and good.

The only time you should mind your approach to a subject matter is if you're providing a formal education for people who are expected to further build on the provided knowledge.

In other words, it's your ethical and professional responsibility to provide good foundational knowledge to students if you're a teacher, but otherwise it doesn't really matter IMO.

Also, who cares, really? Are you afraid you'll get mobbed by a pack of rabid SJWs for being an oppressive ableist scum? I don't think ethics police is a thing. :shake:

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's a pretty cool comparison, actually. :D

Likely only Picard would be :facepalm:.

:grin:

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Quoting Terry Pratchett :
    As long as it gets the point across, that's all that matters.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Metaphors are legit, and I think she was perfectly aware you were using a metaphor. A literal cloaking device would have been making the thing physically invisible.

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    And hard to find. Metaphor accepted.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.