1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

F/M (Multi) soloing help

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by painscythe, Mar 24, 2014.

1. painscythe Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So guys, just a small hello on my part, new on the forums ;)

I digged out BG2+ToB a few days ago, remembering what a good time I had a few years ago.
    Started an attempt to do a solo run as F/M multi...
    Things went relatively smooth until i got out of Irenicus' dungeon, then enemies just started to wipe the floor with me...

So does anyone have small advice for me (or big, don't mind readin' through walls of text...) how to be the wrecking ball everyone talks so fondly about?

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ummmmm. Are you playing vanilla or with mods? What exactly is giving you the most problems? What weapons are you using and what are your general tactics? The answers to these questions will go a long way to getting you useful answers overall.

General game play for a F/M is to make good use of buffing spells like stoneskin (if you can cast it yet) and mirror image before a fight, but to not rely on offensive spells at the beginning of the game because you just don't have enough firepower yet. Instead, you want to be a warrior mostly. If you are getting wiped out by enemy mages, consider ranged attacks on them in the beginning and scampering out of the way for the reprisal, then deal hand-to-hand with whatever else is coming at you.

It's really hard to give specific advice with the lack of information.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Pre-battle buffs...

Shield, Armor, Ghost Armor or Spirit Armor...I like Shield myself as it gives an added bonus, not just AC bonus.
    Stoneskin
    Mirror Image
    Blur
    Strength(if needed)
    Haste
    ...also look at your Bhallspawn Powers closely, depends on your alignment. Any buff ability should be utilized.

Summons... let them be your fodder. There are many types of summon spells in this game. Utilize them. Wands of Monster Summoning are useful as distractions/decoys.

Invisiblity/Improved Invisiblity. Go invisible, scout your enemies and prepare the battlefields to your liking if possible. Then cast disabling Area of Effect spells, like Web, Stinking Cloud, Grease, Cloudkill, etc.... when you are out of sight of the enemies.

Try to purchase any protection item you can get your hands on.

What weapon profs did you choose at character creation? I would choose ** in QS, LS and * in LB. Or possibly SS instead of LS as there ar a few good options like adding Haste or Mirror Image as side abilites of the weapon.

4. painscythe Gems: 1/31

Sorry for not providing enough information ^^'

I'm level F9/M11 atm and my best pieces of gear are CF and helmet of balduran and learned pretty much every spell I came across, mirror image, stoneskin, ghost armor and haste are the things I tend to use most.

Yeah enemy mages are a pain... had a strain of luck getting CF, where i just ran around and spammed my wand of cloudkill hoping i'd survive :p

What's giving me the most trouble are enemies who can stun/confuse/whatever me so i'm unable do anything.

A small guideline would be nice as well, like what equipment/spells to use and how to behave in situations described above (or how to avoid this completely).

Oh yeah, and many thanks on my part ;)

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Equipment that adds immunities should be your number one goal. Make yourself semi-invincible. Plus potions usage. Don't hoard them, use them. Potions of Clarity for instance.....also any potion that gives magic resistance or immunity.

Go for the Harper Pin, various helms, armors, shields and any 1-handed weapon that grants immunites can be carried in your off-hand. If you are summoning and then casting offensive magic, you still get the immunity from the off-hand weapon, though you are technically not using the weapon....even if you don't have Prof points in 2-Weapon fighting style, use 2-Weapons and up your strength with a potion to somewhat off-set THACO reduction from not having Prof points in the 2-Weapon fighting style. this way you can utilize the abilities/immunities of the off-hand weapon.

Every fight has different circumstances, so you need to observe and adapt...a.k.a. trial and error....a.k.a. reload. :D

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Aeger's Hide from the Adventurer's Mart is your best bet for protection from confusion. The two-handed sword Liliacor from the sewers under the Copper Cornet will also help. The Shield of Harmony you get for completing the evil druids quest in Trademeet is another item to stop confusion. The Equalizer is another possibility, but you don't get it until after Spellhold.
    That's about it for protection from confusion. There are lots more items that protect from charm, but everything that protects from confusion also protects from charm.

Using shadowkeeper to make yourself a berzerker/mage and applying the kit stuff could allow you to rage in conditions where you might get stunned. Short of that, I don't recall much that protects from stun besides the spell chaotic commands.

For a solo character, Aeger's hide is probably the best armor, even with the tradeoff to AC. As a solo, getting disabled usually means you're finished, so the immunities that armor grants you is worth it. It should be the first thing you pick up ASAP. If you have enough strength, you can always carry a full plate mail that you can swap when you know you won't need the immunities from Aeger's hide.

Also look for other items that grant other immunities, and keep them around as indicated by others. The Ring of Free Action is another high-priority item, although you can also use Ixel's spike from Watcher's Keep. In ToB you can use the flail of ages +5.

Other items to consider:
    Cloak of bravery (fear)
    Amulet of Power (level drain)
    Mace of Disruption (level drain)
    spear of the unicorn (charm and hold)
    blackrazor (charm and fear)
    arbane's sword (hold)
    longsword +2 dragonslayer (immune to fear, regeneration)

You don't have to keep them around all the time. Find some place to stash them. However, once you get the bag of holding, consider holding onto one item for each immunity you might need.

I think that's about all the good items that grant immunities, I did a quick search for "immu" in Dan Simpson's item FAQ and listed what's available in SoA.
    Of course, you can also try to substitute protection spells, but against mages they like to dispell your protections. Mind Blank however, is one of the best for protection against confusion and stun.
    The staff of the magic can also give you spell trap, but getting it solo is a challenge.

---------- Added 20 hours, 35 minutes and 45 seconds later... ----------

Sorry, I just realized I wasn't thinking of a mage. Aeger's Hide will disable your spellcasting when worn, so Shield of Harmony or Liliacor is your best bet. It's been a while since I tried a F/M/T solo. I don't enjoy soloing that much.

Still, if you pre-buff and then don the armor before combat, it can be useful. Until then you'd want either the bracers ac3, Robe of Veca, or robe of the archmagi.
    Look out for elfen chain mail, the Sylvan Chain, and the bladesinger chain. They don't provide immunities, but do provide AC while allowing you to cast.
    The jester's chain and the melodic chain also allow casting, but IIRC they are for bards only.

7. painscythe Gems: 1/31

Sorry that I didn't reply earlier, haven't had much time the last few weeks and my internet randomly decided to die...

Thanks for all your help, but i decided to go with a party to refresh my knowledge of the game... been a couple of years since i played it last ^^

breezed through SoA and now i'm starting ToB. I used Celestial Fury and Dak'kons. Are there any "upgrades" regarding weaponry in ToB? I thought of using Foebane and Belm.

Another question: How can I refine my playstyle? Currently I just buff myself with Stoneskin, Imp. Haste, Blur, Ghost Armor and Mirror Image and walk into battle, maybe a Time Stop when I feel like it. Is that right or am I not using the full potential of my F/M?

8. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

If that's ALL the spells you ever use, you're missing at least all sorts of real defenses (hello Protection from XYZ type spells) and anti-defenses (Breach and its anti-magic counterparts). While not necessary in the strictest sense, they surely make or break the F/M. Otherwise you might as well go with a straight fighter with Full Plate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.