1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite and Most Hated Cover Song...

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Kitrax, May 9, 2003.

1. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] My favourite cover version is 'Come To Daddy' by The Dillinger Escape Plan, featuring Mike Patton (of Faith No More/Mr Bungle/Fantomas fame) on vocals. The original version's by Aphex Twin, and is one of the scariest pieces of electronic music ever recorded. How The D.E.P. manage to replicate it so faithfully with normal instruments, I'll never know.

The worst cover version I've ever heard is undoubtedly Will Young's, *ahem*, 'rendition' of 'Light My Fire' by The Doors. When I first heard it, I felt physically sick.

(Note: For those of you fortunate enough not to know who Will Young is, he was the winner of the UK TV show 'Pop Idol' - you know, one of those sickening 'reality TV' shows. No-one will remember him by next year)

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ack! I can't believe I forgot to list Metallica's Whiskey In The Jar. What was I thinking?!?!? That's one of my favorite songs.

Also: I think that Tribute to the Notorious BIG CD was the biggest piece of crap. The two tracks that were just instrumental were withstandable, but the tracks where "singing" is involved were terrible! :rolling:

3. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I REALLY hated it when some dance band did a cover of Mike Oldfields "Moonlight Shadow". When the song wasn't all that well known, nobody cared. But know they air it quite often. Now the majority of my friends disbeleive me when i say, 'No, that is Mike Oldfield'.

Some good covers, 'So What' Anti-nowhere league originally, now Metallica.

4. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

My favourite covers are:
    All along the watchtower (Hendrix plays Dylan)
    Rockin in th free world (Pearl Jam play Neil Young)
    Twist and shout (The Beatles play I don't remember who...)
    Travelling riverside blues (Led Zeppelin play Robert Johnson)
    Help (Howie Day plays The Beatles)
    I will stop here....
    My most hated covers:
    All the boy band versions of old classics (for example:We will rock you,Five playing the Queen...oh my god...)
    Under the bridge played by the All Saints,a real pain in the arse.
    Puff Daddy "singing" on Kashmire (Led Zeppelin) or Every breath you take (the Police),and with these two last "pearls" I will end my list...

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Faves:
    Red Hot Chili Peppers covering Sly and The Family Stones "If you want me to stay".
    Jimi Hendrix doing Bob Dylans "All Along the Watchtower" (this one seems popular)

Worst:
    Add another vote for Madonnas "American Pie".

6. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

@ Aragorn II
    That P Diddy song was created for Godzilla, and was actually sung with Robert Plant (Lead singer from Led Zepellin). Rage against the machine also made a song with Kashmir's intro, called Wake Up. It's in the Matrix.

All of Metallica's Garage Days is great. Especially Sabra Cadabra (originally Black Sabbath) and Whiskey in the Jar (Thin Lizzy)

Some other pearlers are MM's (that's Marylin Manson) cover of Sweet Dreams. It's better than the original.

7. Jarel Gems: 10/31

@Baezlebub:I'm sorry,but you're twice wrong ;)
    The song sung by P Daddy IS a rearranged version of Kashmire,and it's not Plant that sing with him,it's Paige that plays guitars on it (I must admit that the fact almost made me cry... :( )
    Wake up has not the kasmire riff on it (it has a copyright of its own),but the two are very similar (a tribute or a lack of ideas?Only Morello knows... ;) )

[ May 15, 2003, 18:31: Message edited by: Aragorn II ]

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Jack Funk reminded me...

The Red Hot Chili Peppers do a great cover of Stevie Wonders "Rollercoaster"

9. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] @Sir Bel,
    Actually, it's an Ohio Players tune (off the Honey album). Great cover though. I forgot that one. I really like the Chilis.

10. Jarel Gems: 10/31

@Sir Belisarius: the Stevie Wonder's one is "Higher Ground". Great punk-rock version!

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] You know what...You're right. Maybe I was thinking of "Higher Ground" I think Stevie wrote that...

12. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Another great cover. Thanks guys.

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] My favorite cover as of now is....

Johnny Cash covering Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt". That song just haunts me.

By the way, First time poster

14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Welcome Snook! Another New Englander! Enjoy your time here.

Sir Bel already mentioned Manfred Manns cover of "Blinded by the Light". That song is a great example of someone taking a well written song and arranging it better (IMO) then the original artist did. And I am a HUGE Springsteen fan. The cover version is just better.

15. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

Quote:
    Metallica's verions of Whiskey in the jar by Thin Lizzy.

The song isn't A Thin Lizzy song they did cover it to, it's an traditional Irish folksong.

The best cover: Peter Gabriels Shock Ther Monkey By Coalchamber and Ozzy

I also Liked Metallica's The Memory Remains By The Kovenant

And Black sabaths Black Sabbath and Paranoid By Typ o Negative.

And offcourse Marusha's version of Somewhere over the rainbow.

I realy Hated Britney's version of satisfaction ans I love Rock 'n Roll.

I also hated Mettaica's version of the ramones song 53rd & 3rd

16. Jarel Gems: 10/31

I think almost the entire "I am Sam" OST has interesting Beatles covers.
    I also forgot Pearl Jam versions of the Who classic tunes as "The kids are alright" and "Baba O'Riley". The original ones rock as well, anyway!

17. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Favorite,

"Blue Monday" by Orgy, totally cool-sounding.

Least Favorite,

Nick Carter of Back Street Boys' infamy has a little brother named Aaron, from whom I suspect we can expect many terrible things to come. He did a cover of some 80s tune that has the lyric, "I've got a crush on you" I was playing trivial pursuit in a dormitory T.V. lounge, and therefore had to sit through the whole thing. Such torture, such agony, such suffering.

18. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I hate all those techno, rave and whatever remixes. Very likely to be awful.

Best covers are, when the band plays something you would never expect...
    Nick Cave - Disco 2000 (Pulp)
    Red Hot Chily Peppers - Christine (Siouxsie)
    The Cure - Foxy Lady (Hendrix)
    And some Slovakian drunks who performed My Heart will go on :D

They may not be musicaly the best, but you have to like them.

19. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

Favourites (that i can remember off hand):

Goldfinger's cover of 'Just like Heaven' (originally by The Cure)
    The Suicide Machines' cover of 'It's the End of the World as we know it (and i feel fine)' (originally by REM)

Disliked (off hand rememberances) :
    Maddona's (sp?) cover of 'Bye Bye Miss American' Pie (originally Don Mclean). Not really a bad cover but i preffered the original.

George Micheal's (i believe) cover of 'The Grave' also by Don Mclean. That cover sucked! The original had so much more emotion and feeeling!

Both will young's and gareth gates' [they don't qualify for capital letters] various covers.

20. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

Thin Lizzy did do "Whiskey In The Jar", but he created a cover of the folksong. Is it technically a cover of Thin Lizzy song. Just not an original.

George Michael's Faith as done by Limp Bizkit was good. Not a great fan, but is was good.

Nirvana's version of David Bowie "The man who sold the world"
    David Bowie rocks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.