1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite/Best faction?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Phone_Tools, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hey everyone, what are you're favorite/best factions from PST (or planescape in general)? Right now i'm kind of in between with the sensates and the godsmen. Whose philosophies do you like better, and which ones do you think are the best to join?

2. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Chay-osh! Chaosmen, chaosmen, men no, nem no, men yes, three nose make a yes.

They're pretty useless to join, though. The Godsmen are the most beneficial for powergaming, but I don't like their philosophy.

There's also something very satisfying in retreating to the Civic Festhall for resting, supplies and entertainment after a hard day of hunting larval worms. So Sensates I like as well.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Sensates. The Godsmen are far too up themselves, and I've never tried the dustmen.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

None of them; they all seem pretty hollow, IMO. "Independent" is one faction too, no? ;)

5. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Favourite: Sensates
    Best: Godsmen (those weapons!)

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Godsmen for the weapons -- I never used any others after that. The sensates had the best quest to complete for joining (and you get FFG).

7. Susipaisti

I wouldn't call it a quest. You just had to recite the Mortuary experience. And you don't need to join the Sensates to get FFG.

Another fun bunch is the Anarchists.

8. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

To you need to join them to advandce further in the game

9. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Sensates of those available in the game, forgotten the ones that where not added to the game.

And you do not need to join any of them to complete the game. that i can remember at least.

10. Susipaisti

You can get the crucial info from the Sensoriums without actually joining the Sensates. You can convince them you *used* to be a member, long ago.

11. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I realy dont care for any of them, because they are all just tools of character advancement. I sometimes join the dustmen, but then always change to godsmen, and then again to the sensates. The godsmen might be good if you are a fighter, but I only played as a fighter once with my first char. After that, I have always played with a mage because they make the game much more fun.

12. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The Godsmen have the best weapons, but none of the factions offer any huge benefits, IMHO. Choose the one that feels right for your TNO.

I usually end up playing a Godsman (with Good characters) or an Anarchist/Xaositect (with Evil and/or Chaotic characters).

As myself, I'd probably join the Indeps.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

No need to convince them because you actually *were* a member ;)

14. Tiana Gems: 3/31

The Godsmen. The weapons rock, and their philosophy seems representative of TNO's quest. The whole thing where they believe anyone can become a god... that rings so true with the idea that the power of belief can change the planes.

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

In planescape in general I like mercykillers but in torment the best faction you can join would be the godsmen because of the items, sensates are also good but I usually take them first and then afterwards after I've done just about everything else in Sigil I go and do the godsmen quests.

16. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If you're an Anarchist, you can also be a Xaosite AND a Dustman AND a Sensate AND a Godsman (and IIRC you can use all the items, tho not the abilities).

The downside is you're screwed out of all of the benefits of being Lawful (esp. Lawful Good).

Kinda satisfying to blow up the Godsmen project tho...

17. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31

thanks for the responses guys. By now i've still not decided between godsmen and sensates and its kind of stalling my game cause i don't want to go on until i decide. Which do you guys like better, godsmen or sensates (im talking about philosophies)?
    I like the whole godsmen philosophy except the reincarnation part. If I were TNO i wouldnt wan't to be reincarnated, after all i've been alive for a long time already. since regaining your mortality seems to me right now as one of the big parts of the game (i'm not done yet), it seems once he had his mortality, he wouldn't want to reincarnate, he'd want to face whatever death had in store for him.

i like how the sensates think you can only know the multiverse by experiencing it for yourself. What i don't like is how they say that if you can't sense something, it doesnt exist. I mean, this is planescape, isn't it? Your believes can shape what exists, so therefore how does their philosophy hold up?

I guess it's just part of the greatness of PST that i'm so hung up on a simple decision like this that has almost no impact on the gameplay. Please tell me which of the two you like better!
    later,
    -PT

18. twillight Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

More info how to be multi-factioned: we know TNO lose the special stats for the fanctions in that way. But if you don't need a faction (as Chaosites) you can quite from them (can't re-gain that faction!) and be a real member in your favorite.

This way you can get the Sensuary touch from the Sensates.

Opinion otherway:
    most useful faction: Sensates: sensuary touch is just unique, and you do not need weapons that much.

best filosophy f. in the game (and can be membered): anarchist
    best filosophy f. in the game: indepts
    best filosophy f. in Planescape: Bleak Cabal!

19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I don't really like any of them. The Godsmen are too remote and full of themselves, the Sensates are too aristocratic, the Anarchists remind me of Rebel Without a Cause (let's tear it all down! even though we've no idea what to do afterwards), and even though I play a Chaotic character usually, the Xaositects are just too chaotic for me. While I don't particularly like the Dustmen, I find their views of things to be the most interesting.

20. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Sensates... VERY VERY intresting phlisophy... If only one could travel the planes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.