1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite dungeon?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Yulaw9460, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    What's the coolest dungeon you've ever played in the numerous games out there?

Personally, I've always found The Severed Hand in Icewind Dale to be rather atmospheric.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Though the Severed Hand is actually a number of towers, not a dungeon per se... :shake:

I've been thinking long and hard which actual dungeon to nominate for my favourite but I don't think that I can decide given how many I've been through over the years. Durlag's Tower definitely was a cool one, though. And it actually counts as a dungeon since most levels are under ground! :D

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's clearly Chateau Irenicus. What's not to like after going through it for the 500th time?

On a more serious note, I can't say that I've ever been particularly impressed by any dungeon, not even in PnP.

I do like many of the places in Planescape: Torment, but that's got more to do with the game's brilliant atmosphere than the actual design of the dungeons.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Dungeon Master's dungeon.
    Just one dungeon in the game with 15 levels, but one of the finest RPGs of all time that I've played.
    Intricate puzzles, good monster placement, an epic quest. What's not to like?

The graphics were phenomenal on my Apple IIGS back in 1989, but they are a bit dated today. IMHO they still look better than 1991's "Eye of the Beholder" which has very similar gameplay.
    They surprisingly aren't that bad today compared to many other games of the era. Fair to poor by today's standards, but I've seen worse flash games or freeware ones made today.

5. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Don't know, forgot even if I had a favorite at one time.

That said I really enjoyed charging through the (small) castle in DA: Origins in the City Elf origin.

If I was just sitting around or wanting a break but couldn't take one for too long I'd run through that.. a bit like I boot up an assault mission in Unreal Tournament 2004 every once and a while.

A bit of relatively quick fun.

6. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    D&D. "Dungeons And Dragons". It's a frickin' dungeon! :p

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Slick - I loved that game on my IIGS back in the day. My only issue with it was that the only way to find secret/illusory doors was to try to walk through the walls. A bit cumbersome.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wizardry I, II, III and V were pretty awesome dungeons for their times. So was Diablo I at the time of creation.

My fav is definitely the Temple of Elemental Evil. All kinds of Demons, Devils, Elementals and even a Demi-God. Plus a Hill Giant NPC! Watcher's Keep is a close 2nd.

PnP would be "The Ruins of Myth Drannor".

Wayward Son likes this.
  9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Favourite dungeon... I suppose I really liked the area of the Tribunal expansion for Morrowind, although I suppose my favourite would be the dwemer ruin near Balmora.

Can't really think of a favourite one for any of the other RPGs.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Destard, Despise, Shame, Deceit, Covetous, Wrong, and Hythloth.

Also the Great Stygian Abyss.

Wayward Son likes this.
  11. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, you can always throw objects at the suspect walls. Carrying around a useless object like a scroll and throwing it at every wall is good ninja training. If you spot a monster, it doesn't hurt to throw it at the monster either and if it goes someplace inaccessible (at the moment), well, it's a useless object anyways so no big loss. Hence why I suggested a scroll, or something you get too many of like clubs from trollins, falcons from skeletons (wooden shields don't throw as well, but they work too), or rocks from rockpiles (just don't throw away the ones you're using as ammo for the sling, and again, boulders are one of the worst choices since they are so hard to throw and deplete your stamina).

Also, the spell OH EW RA can help you figure out walls to throw things at.

That said, I don't think there are more than four or five illusionary walls in the entire game and I can only remember the one on level four (the worm level), one on level six (the level with the skeletons, wizard eyes, and wasps), and the one on level nine (with the pain rats that give drumsticks), the only one you have to find.
    Was there one on level five? I don't recall one. I think there was another on one of the deeper levels with the Central Stairway, but I can't recall where it is if it was on ten, eleven, or twelve. Not 13 with Lord Chaos or fourteen with The Red Dragon.

12. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Favorite dungeon? No idea, and hard to zero in on just one.

I guess the ones that I remember most are Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep. Huge dungeons with something new and unexpected around every corner. I always looked forward to replaying them.

13. kerrigan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Imo nothing beats the Urbish Mines from the first Lands of Lore, or (in a darker theme) the Cathedral from the first Diablo game.

14. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
  15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Wow, I haven't played that game since my Apple II days . . . I have no recollection of that, although I know I completed the whole game.

16. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Media:
    I really liked the whole treks through the underdark, both in BG2:SoA and IWD2 respectively.
    Especially in BG2, the suhuagin city was really interesting, though i feel it could have been fleshed out a bit more.
    Still, in my opinion the beholder you find down there was one of the funniest npc encounters - especially if you allow him to live and meet him again in the ToB expansion :)

I guess i have a thing for huge underground caverns/civilizations, because i also really liked trekking through the "dwarven" ruins in skyrim ending up in blackreach when you made it all the way down. it's a bit of a shame that all you find down there are unfriendly mobs and not a lot of lore or even some still alive dwarves, though the place looks really nice. finding the secret boss dragon down there the first time was fun too, it happened to me when i fus-ro-dah'd a falmer while crouched and the shout kept traveling along, hitting the huge glowing orb - spawning the dragon :eek:

The forgotten vale added by the dawnguard add-on was really cool too, adding some exposure to the falmer, as well as giving you an opportunity to actually meet some alive non-corrupted snow elves, as well as a few books you can get translated at the winterhold college for some more exposure on the race before they became what they are "today" in-game. (i.e. the falmer)
    Again, i would've liked it to be fleshed out a bit more, as it is you only get to meet two non-corrupted falmer (one of which is the enemy boss) not counting the spirits guarding the wayshines of auri-el, and there's not much left of the snow elf structures besides the temple of auri-el itself.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  17. JamesGoblin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The Wailing Caverns of WoW, I always enjoyed it back in the day - no matter how often I returned to it on various classes.

I especially liked it's architecture, it took me couple runs (likely more) to start orientating properly in that lovely labyrinth :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.