1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite weapon style and weapon

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mystra's Chosen, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Mine is 2-handed - it looks really cool when you've got Celestial Fury and the Equalizer or Daystar in each hand.

My favorite weapon is Crom Faeyr or Staff of the Magi (if I'm playing a fighter/mage). I like dualing Crom with Celestial Fury. Truly deadly.

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

My favorite is dual-wielding for sheer coolness. Celestial Fury and some other inconsequential weapon will do. (Usually Belm, a great off-hand weapon)

But for optimal effectiveness for a fighter, it has to be two-handed style and either two-handed sword or halberd. The Wave Halberd and Silver Sword are awesome weapons, especially with the Bracers of Blinding Speed.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I like the Two Weapon Style, with the Daystar and the Flail of the Ages...if your target is able to shrug off the crushing blow of the flail, they won't with the sword. :rolling:

4. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

My mistake... I meant two-weapon style, not 2 handed.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Although I'm a big fan of dual-wielders (I absolutely adore Haer'Dalis :love: ), I find them not as cool as those with the Two-Handed Weapon style. You can inflict a lot of damage, and your critical hit range is doubled. Very sweet. Little is more intimidating than a big husky guy with a great big two-handed sword. At least I think it's pretty neat.

6. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

I find it odd that you don't get an AC bonus with two handed weapon style. I mean, if you're wielding a staff, there's some serious blocking going on there. I guess so it's not too strong (plus the disadvantage to 2H is that you can't have a shield).

Also, I don't understand why Single Weapon style is even a choice? Is it only for classes that can't use a shield, like a Kensai? Or does it have some other use.

7. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Two scimitars.

Either Drizzt's two, or Waters Edge and something else like Usuno's Blade.

8. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

@Oaz,
    The critical hit range will only change by a -1 to the rolls, meaning 19 will be enough to deal a critical hit. So I don't think it is halved.

As for single-handed, my thief usually have that, since I don't think there is any good buckler around. To me, it's not a good skill for warriors, but good for thieves.

My favorite is dual-wielding and single-handed. But when playing BG2, for killing purposes, I go for dual-wielding or two-handed. Both works well for me.

9. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

@Skywind:

The chance doubles, just look:
    1(roll a 20) out of 20 = 5% chance to score a critical hit.
    2 out of 20(roll a 19 or 20!) = 10% chance to score a critical hit.

As you see the chance doubles.
    -------------------------------------------------

I like single-handed style. the AC bonus and the ability to switch between sword and bow instantly is just great...

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dual wield. Favotite combo is Celestial Fury main, Belm off-hand. Flail of Ages main is also great.

11. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

i use single weapon with as mentioned before theives, and bards, not that i make many bards, i used it once with a kensai when i got bored...he kicked some major ass,but still not as much with dual wielding

EDIT: o and my fav style is dual wielding and weapons are celestial fury and twinkle(drizzt's +5 scimitar)

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

I thought Defender was Drizzt's +5 weapon while Twinkle was a +3.

I have to admit that the Vorpal Sword + 2 points on 2 handed weapon style is truly lethal (because Vorpal kills [sv vs death] on a critical hit, IIRC) I still think that a dual-wielding Berserker/Cleric wielding Crom and FoA or Skullcrusher is an even more lethal combo. Or a fighter wielding Crom and Celestial Fury is brutal!

I always put Haer'Dalis with a crossbow and a two handed sword (most likely Soul Reaver - a couple hits with that makes the fight a lot easier). His THAC0 is just too low for dualling.

13. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

iceingdeath is +3..its the frostbrand

14. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Favorite fightingstyle would be two weapon. Looks just great. Of course my Jester/Skald only gets one point there, so thac0 is a pain. But there you go.

Fav weapon is the Celeastial Fury and the Flail of Ages, Daystar or that +4 Dagger, found on Quille (Boneblade or somesuch) - for the off hand.

15. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Boneblade is my favorite weapon for an Assassin. It just kinda fits, and I like daggers for Thieves.

I don't usually use a weapon style for thieves because they don't get very many Prof. Points and I don't want to waste any, plus they only get one point per slot. To get any real benefits from a weapon style, you need at least 2 points assigned.

16. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Just like Daephon I like single weapon stile for the same reason, altough dual wield is pretty cool too.

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I like to Dual Wield Longswords :)

2 great ones are available VERY early (like first couple of days) an later you can aquire Equalizer (rox cos most people you fight are extreme in some way... usually evil :D ) and... the one you get from Hell, the name escapes me.

Of course there are also some great Longswords in ToB :D

[Edit]- As for my favourite weapon, thats gotta be Celestial Fury. The Stun and Electric Shock abilities of it should not be underestimated (especially the Stun ability)

18. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] A little :yot:

When you all refer to dual-weilding longswords, who is it that does so for you? Your main protagonist? Because I don't think any of the NPC can do so, right? Unless I'm mistaken..... I play a good party and don't have any NPC that even has longsword as a main weapon. Please enlighten me!

19. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Also, I don't understand why Single Weapon style is even a choice? Is it only for classes that can't use a shield, like a Kensai? Or does it have some other use.

I figured it was for when you were using a missile weapon and had to swap to a melee weapon.

And who uses longswords is a matter of proficiencies I suppose...though I can't think of an NPC who would use them straight away.

20. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

of course dual wielding is cool and efficient, but I prefer 1-h style. Great for easy use with bows.

Favourite: crom feayer, daystar

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.