1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite dragons?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by MrMermaid, Aug 26, 2013.

?

What's your favourite dragon?

1. Thaxl'ssillyia (The Shadow Dragon in the Temple Ruins)

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Lord Jierdan Firkraag (The Red Dragon in the Windspear Hills)

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Nizidramanii'yt (The Black Dragon in Suldanessellar)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Saladrex (The Red Dragon in Watcher's Keep)

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. Draconis (The Brown Dragon outside Abazigal's Lair)

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. Abazigal (The Blue Dragon in Abazigal's Lair

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Pontifex (The Yellow Dragon from The Ritual, a subquest of Weimer's Tactics Mod)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (Please specify!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Adalon (Silver Dragon in the Underdark)

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

NOTE: SPOILERS AHEAD

Just handed Firkraag's ass to him on a silver platter, and I realised that despite the awesome quest involved with him, the fight with Thaxl'ssillyia is much more interesting, especially at the low levels we tackled both of them. For that fight, I narrowly avoided (literally by a second) the Level Drain Breath Weapon on my Sorcerer, Stromael, with a carefully placed Neg. Plane Prot., allowing me to finish destroying his Magic Resistance, after which Strom, Jan and Aerie all took part in nuking the cr*p out of him! Firk is much easier, in that Prot. from Fire spells tend to be much longer-lasting than N.P.P.

Anyway, this all led me to wonder, what's your favourite dragon from the game? Name the mods you're using as well, if they affect the dragon's fight. In vanilla, Thaxl is definitely mine, although Saladrex is a close second, for his awesome dialogue and wit. :)

However, the Pontifex fight from The Ritual was easily the most challenging.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Thaxl'ssillyia has always been my favorite Dragon encounter. Probably because I usually do the Umar Hills series of quests not longer after chapter 2 begins. Which means a lower-level party(usually around level 9-10) which makes for a much more challenging battle. I usually do not have Lower Magic Resistance as an option as of yet. I try to overwhelm the Dragon with summons and every ounce of firepower I can muster. It takes a lot of Magic Missles and Minute Meteors to get through, but since I usually prefer 3 Arcane Spellcasters types in my parties, I get a lot of castings of both MM.

I like to attack Dragons with one Mega Fighter type, usually Keldorn, along with a bunch of Arcane Casters. My latest party had my PC(Half-Elf F/M), Kova(M/T), Ninafer(F/M), Keldorn, Kiyonne(Arc) and Aerie. Lots of summons capability and bombardier action in that party.

3. MrMermaid

I love Keldorn as a character, but I can never role-play keeping him on the team (if I'm good I couldn't not let him rejoin his wife, if I'm evil he wouldn't be with me in the first place!). My current party is the rag-tag collection of the Bioware NPCs I've never really tried before: Valygar, Cernd, Mazzy and Aerie; Jan fills out the last slot! I may swap Valygar for Sarevok later, though he's a fair old back-stabber and a nifty fighter as well!

The reason I bring this up is that this is not the most powerful of teams, by a long shot. I'm also generally against summoning meat-shields (though I like the chunkier summons: Elementals, Skelly Warriors, Mordy's Swords). So to beat a Dragon with this lot is harder than e.g. with your party, but a greatly enjoyable challenge nonetheless!

Ended up tanking Firky with Strom, buffed up on Fireshield etc., and alternating LR debuffs with the occasional PfMW. Rest of the team was taking out Conster before he could Mislead and start causing mischief, and dishing out the damage to The Big Red Guy!

4. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It has to be Lord Jierdan, of course. His story has been the most fleshed out, with his initial appearance in a tavern, the way he framed a local family to extort the land deed, fooled paladins into attacking you with illusions, etc. When he meets you, he is most hospitable, and tells you all of his story. When you defeat him, he drops Carsomyr, the best non-mod Paladin weapon in the game.

Thaxl'ssillyia is not the final boss in the map, because he just sits in a room you must pass though to get to the boss, and you can fool him by carring an item. He just comes across as sidequest material.

Anyway, why is the Silver Dragon not in the list?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  5. MrMermaid

Gosh! You're quite right, coineineagh. Sorry Adalon! Serious mental lapse. Is there any way I can add the option to the poll, now?

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    A most difficult choice but in the end I handed it to Saladrex for his awesome dialog choices. ("Is it true that dragon meat tastes like chicken? Never mind, I'll find out for myself!" :lol:)

MrMermaid likes this.
  7. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Saladrex deserves an honorable mention because of his willingness to talk but I went with the silver who spent who knows how long effectively blocking a major drow attack.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  8. MrMermaid

Firkraag's quest is really great, I agree. I guess I was approaching it more from the combat perspective.
    I'm not sure what you're directing this to...

A big thanks to whoever added Adalon to the poll; it was a foolish slip of my mind that missed her out!

[No worries - dmc]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
  9. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I like Saladrex. I dunno why but I just like affably evil characters. Firkraag was merely polite.

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'll go for Saladrex as well. I love how you can just chat with him, agree with him in his delussion that he's only staying in the WK because he's quite comfortable.

11. Nrsandback Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thax

The shadow dragon is my fav. Mostly cause it has so far been the most challenging fight. My brother and I are going through solo through BG2, both rangers, me as a stalker, him as an archer, we tackled him at lvl 11 and for two rangers it was no easy fight.

12. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I think Draconis was the hardest of the bunch what with his continuous invisible stalkers and general nastiness, however I am not sure that makes him my favorite or just the one that requires the most thought.

13. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Abazigal, that part lizard part Iggy Pop look makes him pretty creepy, and that voice too. He was underwhelming in vanilla TOB, but actually becomes respectable after getting jacked up by SCS.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.