1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fiend's tongue missing. Tried save game editor, didnt help.

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by jeremy_, Oct 28, 2008.

1. jeremy_ Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

^title.I bought the fiends tongue, dropped it, started playing again after weeks of not playing, I found out the fiends tongue is missing and Im not able to buy another.I messed around with the save game editors on here, but I dont think they let you place items you dont already have in your inventory.And if they do, i dont know how.

What should I do?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, since you've tried the save game editors I think you're left with replaying that portion (hopefully you have a previous saved game). There are no console cheats in Planescape: Torment.

Sorry I couldn't help.

3. jeremy_ Gems: 1/31

I dont have a previous save.If I really have to start over, I will not play torment again.I have already restarted 3 times so far, but my current game is the farthest I've ever gotten.It took me 20+ hours of playing to get to this point.

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The tongue isn't important at all to finish the game IIRC. You'll only miss a few unimportant XP if you just skip this sidequest.

5. Qwinn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Actually I think it is pretty important, in fact necessary, to proceed in the game.

...I'm pretty sure you do need to do that quest in order to eventually get the information from Ecco that Kesai-Serris is Ravel's daughter, which is indeed necessary to find Ravel (unless you're a psychotic evil character willing to wipe out the brothel to continue)

Qwinn

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    You're almost right, Qwinn.

You don't have to wipe out the entire Brothel but you will have to kill Kesai-Serris to get the Bloody Handkerchief. Attacking her will attract some unwelcome attention from the Harmonium. ;) And, IIRC, turn the rest of the Brothel hostile.

@Jeremy_ - If you have a savegame, including an autosave, from less than 24 hours (game time) after you dropped the Fiend Tongue, then you can find it where you dropped it.

7. Qwinn Gems: 3/31

Montresor,

I believe I acknowledged that possibility in the portion of my quote in parentheses.

EDIT: Oh, I see the distinction you were making. Eh, to me turning a creature hostile is effectively the same as killing them. They are henceforth useless.

Qwinn

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  8. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You could always try hex editing.

9. jeremy_ Gems: 1/31

I tried that too, but I couldnt even damage her.She is immune to all my weapons and magics

---------- Added 0 hours, 0 minutes and 59 seconds later... ----------

What is this, how do you do it, and would it put the fiends tongue in my inventory?

10. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    First you download UltraEdit (just use the trial). Then you read this little guide.
    Then you get some program like InfinityExplorer to look up the item code for fiends tongue.
    Read the Hex Editing guide carefully, especially take notice that you shouldn't add new inventory items, but overwrite existing ones. This is important. Also make sure the item you're overwriting has an item code matching the number of letters in the code of fiends tongue. Look out for stuff you can easilly purchase from the various stores.

If you have the patience to go through it propper then yes, this should enable you to add the fiend's tongue to your inventory.
    I did the same messup in my last game myself (albeit with a different item) and managed to get it added this way when all the trainers failed me.

Oh, and you probably want to mkae a backup of your save game prior to touching anything, just in case. I never managed to mess stuff up myself, but you never know.

11. Qwinn Gems: 3/31

Good stuff Olimikrig.

Let me suggest, if you're going to overwrite an existing item in your inventory, DO NOT try to overwrite a stackable item. You'll wind up with a stackable fiend's tongue, and I suspect that would crash the game.

Qwinn

12. jeremy_ Gems: 1/31

Ultraedit wont work on my computer.My computer is a pentium II windows 98.Its 10 years old.I downloaded another hex editor called "XVI" but I cant figure it out.What can i do?

13. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

You could start over. I would understand your frustration though, as I'm at just about the same spot in the game, and it's my first play-through as well.

I'm a perfectionist freak in these games though, and I've actually considered willingly restarting! ;)

14. olimikrig

Media:
    You're gonna need another Hex Editor which will also show ASCII, since that is what you will be fiddling around with, not the actual hexes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.