1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Francesco's mod for level scaling - any good?

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Edmond Dantes, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Hi,

So I'm just starting Oblivion (so far I just returned the guy to the cloud temple, and did some sidequests), but haven't played too extensively that I wouldn't mind starting over with a very good mod. I'm enjoying my experience, bu I feel I will get tired of the non-logical aspect of level scaling.

I heard about this Francesco mod, and since people on this forum are so knowledgeable and objective, I had a couple of questions:

1- Did anyone play this Mod through? Does it really improve the experience or is it more a gimmick? Is it very buggy?

2- I'm not the most savvy mod-installer in the world... Is it hectic too install? Do I need to start a new game or can I just play on from where I am?

thanks!

2. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

without knowin this down to the smallest detail.

generally mod installing is very easy in oblivion, you download - install - open a "mod accepter" in oblivion and check of the box(es) for the mods you want, select run and voila, your game is running with the mods on.
    i have only tried this with new areas though, so it might be a bit different

on the case of whether or not you skould restart the game i will say, yes i think so, i don't think it is impossible to run it on your current game, but i suspect a lot of bugs

feel free to correct me

3. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31

Ok, so I went ahead and installed it (couldn't resist the temptation, read too many good reviews about it!). Pretty neat the new weapons and the tweaks. So far so good!

4. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31

OK so just to give some feedback for those wondering about this MOD. So I started a new game with all its components, includingg slower leveling, and longer days.
    I must say it is a FANTASTIC MOD. Not only does it resolve the scaled leveling issues (more static levels, level limits, etc...), making the game more realistic: no way you'll be head of the Arena or Fighter Guild at level 8 anymore, no more glass armored bandits... But it adds a ton of new items and weapons. Also, the slower leveling (you progress more slowly in skills, and you need 12 points vs. 10 to gain a level), and the fact you can make days longer (so 1 real time hour would equal less in game hours), just gives the game a more slow paced progression feel to it.
    In other words, in my mind, this is THE mod to have for Oblivion (plus I think it's compatible with most other MODs).

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This is good to know. Please keep us updated to what you think of it and any problems.

6. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31

Ok, just reposting to confirm my intital impressions: this is hands down the BEST mod for Oblivion, as far as game mechanics are concerned:

- I have yet to see a bug or glitch, which is pretty amazing
    - It gives the game a more Morrowindesque feel, because of the fact the ridiculous scaling is resolved, so if ur level 1 well not everything around you will be as weak as you, and vice versa when ur high levels, also treasures aren't level scaled, so with luck and skill you will be able to get your hands on rarer items even at level 2 or 3 (although that might be tough since strong loot means strong unscaled ennemies) .Basically, if you didn't like Oblivion but liked Morrowind, well this Mod takes care of that issue.
    - The new levelling system makes that since ennemies often will have fixed levels forget about being Arena champion at level 5, or being head of the fighter's guild at a low level. To go far in any guild you now REALLY need to have a high level (a quick look at the readme will show you why)
    - If you like a game with a more slow paced feel to it (as I do), well then you can slow skill and level progression (so it takes you longer to level up), you can make the ingame days longer (which is really nice),etc..
    - The other random improvements are also good: amongst others, the weapons are slower but do more damage (gives a more realistic feel to the comba system). You can't run backwards as fast as you can forward (harder to do the running back / archery cheese). Ennemies have more varied attack patterns, there is LOT of new items that are not overpowered but let you customize your character nicely.
    - there are other improvements and EVERYTHING is optional, so you can really do as you wish.

Trust me, this MOD is insanely well done, it's pretty sick the amount of work it must have represented.

7. Greatfellow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks for the review

I'm so new to Oblivion that I've played less than ten hours...
    But I'm a darned experienced gamer so I've already spent fifty hours so far tweaking inis, learning the console, and researching mods and OBMM. I ran into Francesco's, among other major mods, and have wondered whether I should install it. I already knew I'd hate Vanilla's level-up-with-the-npcs philosophy, so I was actively looking for a Quality Gameplay Mod, but hesitatant to install some half-baked one, or one that was tweaked beyond good reason. Well, you've sold me on trying Francesco's, mainly by your description of it. So thanks. Detailed comments like yours are what I look for when I'm researching stuff, and what you provided are enough to get me to register on this site so I could say thanks. Thanks!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.