1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

From the Neverwinter Nights Board

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Mar 27, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Darien)

Here are a few more comments from the Official Neverwinter Nights message board.

Rob Bartel (Co-Lead Designer)

What will happen when a party rests, especially in a multplayer game where as far as I know everything works in real time?

Sorry, I think a clarification's in order here, as there's been some confusion on the boards about this, as of late.

1) Everyone rests independently. Just because you're resting doesn't mean your friend is, too (this makes for a better system in multiplayer).

2) Spells and special abilities do not regenerate over time. The only way to rememorize your spells or regain your abilities is by resting. We may or may not choose to implement a slow regeneration of hit points. This decision will be made as part of our testing and balancing phase.

3) Resting is instantaneous. Resting is something you'll be doing a lot so we don't want it interrupting or slowing down the more enjoyable aspects of your game.

4) Once you have rested, a certain amount of time must pass before you can rest again. The length of this "day" will be determined through testing.

5) After performing a hostile action, you will not be able to rest until a certain 'cool-down' time has passed. This is to keep spellcasters from using two day's worth of spells in a single battle. Again, the length of this 'cool-down' period will be determined through testing.

If a PC is granted an AoO for any reason, do they have to click to take it?

Attacks of Opportunity (AoO) will be automated in Neverwinter. The instance you suggest of foregoing an AoO is a rare enough occurrence that we felt it didn't warrant a manual AoO interface. Also, as the window of time in which an AoO can be performed is quite small, we felt that a manual interface would needlessly penalize those with low pings or slow reflexes.

Are people with the combat reflexes feat going to just pop enemies repeatedly as the oppertunities come up?

To a certain point, yes. Given enough opportunities, your character will make as many attacks as can be squeezed into the combat animation system. If your character is in mid-swing against one opponent, for instance, a secondary opponent may be able to use that moment of distraction to make a safe exit. On the other hand, if your character is currently between attacks, that secondary opponent's going to get clobbered on any attempt to flee. All of this might change during the testing phase, of course, but those are our current plans for attacks of opportunity.

What is that eye?

The eye has a vital role to play in the official campaign, that I promise you. I've made only one post about it in the past, when Lost Dragon turned over his new leaf. Today, I think I'll make another. The following is taken from the frontispiece of that wellspring of information, "Volo's Guide to the North"...

"Wind by the Fireside"

So as you shiver in the cold and the dark,
    Look into the fire and see in its spark--
    My eye
    Watching over you.

As you walk in the wind's whistling claws,
    Listen past the howling of the wolf's jaws.
    My song
    Comes to you.

And when you're lost in the trackless snow,
    Look up high where the eagles go.
    My star
    Shines for you.

In the deep, dark mine or on crumbling peak,
    Hear the words of love I speak.
    My thoughts
    Are with you.

You are not forsaken.
    You are not forgotten.
    The North cannot swallow you.
    The snows cannot bury you.
    I will come for you.
    Fearun will grow warmer,
    And the gods will smile
    But oh, my love, guard yourself well--
    All this may not happen for a long, long while.

(A traditional trail ballad of the Savage Frontier-- composer unknown)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.