1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gambling with the Deck of Many Things!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by woobyluv, Jun 24, 2015.

1. woobyluv Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

On level 3 of Watcher's Keep with the Cambion, is it even possible to win? I have probably started/restarted the game 50 times and the only 2 options i get are "Strife" and "Plague"...really freaking annoying...

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You can win twice, but the third time you have to fight (at least that's the way it was in the regular game, not sure if the EE version changed it).

3. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    you will allways get either strife or plague on your 1st draw.
    strife is the better option, having a higher value.
    the cambion will draw either Triumph, which is valued lower, in which case you win the first rounf, or Construct which is valued higher then strife, so you lose.
    Both triumph and construct are valued higher then plague, so if you drew plague you lose whichever one of the 2 the cambion draws.

on the second draw strength is the highest value card you can draw, you should win no matter what the cambion draws if you get it.
    If you gamble for the gem on the second draw and win, the cambion will attack you.

there is no way to win the third draw, the cambion will allways win here.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I know how you feel. I usually end up loosing as well.

***SPOILERS below***

Don't pull the 3rd card if you want to fight the Cambion and his buddies. I always go over to the portal (that you can't activate yet), set some nice traps up near where the divider is then use an invisible mage to get just out of sight and cast Death Fog or Cloud Kill or something like that. If you do it right it will force the clerics to heal the others and themselves. Eventually they run out of healing spells and start to die off. It takes a couple spells but it works. I have had the enemies get some common sense and run over to kick my butt. Kinda random for me. Maybe I got to close? I think one of the tieflings has a True Sight spell so that probably got me for being to close.

Or you can fight them the uncheesy way and face off against the Cambion his 2 cats and the Tieflings (I thinks that's all of them). They cast hast so be ready for that. There's also at least 1 thief that will sneak over and backstab you.

IF you kill the cambion & his buddies you can loot the deck off his body. I think I got 3 more draws before it disappears. I had better luck that way as compared to playing the game with the cambion.

I don't remember if you get to loot the Specrtal Brand off of the cambion or not. Been a long time sense I've been there. I always play for that 1st anyway so I don't know.

The cambion has the 3rd "jewel" I guess you can call it. As soon as you pick it up it goes into the exit device and the portal can be used.

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    From some guide that I don't know where I got from anymore:
    There are 2 possible effects in each draw, both for you and for him. Your
    draw is worth a specific number of 'suit' points. The more points, the
    higher the suit. If your suit points are higher than his, you win the
    gamble. If you tie, he wins.

1st draw:

You:
    Plague - Gambler is Cursed - 1 point
    Strife* - Gambler is Slowed - 3 points

Him:
    Triumph - 1 point
    Construct - 4 points

2nd draw:

You:
    Strength - Gambler's str and con are reduced to 6 - 6 points
    Guile - Summons 6 assassins to play with - 2 points

Him:
    Defiance - 2 points
    Empress - 3 points

3rd Draw:

You:
    High Priestess - Silence on gambler - 4 points
    Emperor - Permanent Mind Shield - 5 points

Him:
    Wheel

If you play for the gem in the second round, you can win the gem from him.
    If you do, however, he will go hostile on you and attempt to kill you,
    since he *does* want to get out of there.

There is *NO* way to win the last draw. The Cambion will always draw the
    wheel on the third, and will walk away with the gem. Unless, of course,
    you kill him and his cronies, and take the deck yourself. You can also
    pickpocket the Cambion for the Deck as well, and this will *not* affect
    what happens when you play with him.

And if you got the deck of many things off of the cambion, you can get some other effects as well:
    Here's how the deck as an item works. *'ed cards are considered Bad Draws.
    The previous draw affects the subsequent draw. Note that some of the other
    draws can be pretty bad too, but they're not considered BAD in terms of
    subsequent drawing. Once you have drawn a BAD card, you will have to
    continue using the BAD draw list. This means that if you draw a good, then
    bad card, your third draw will be from the bad list.

First draw (random):

-Donjon* (Imprison user, save at -4)
    -Ruin* (Party loses all gold)
    -Euryale (permanent -1 to all saves, no save. ha ha.)
    -Flames (Gate in a Balor and 4 fire elementals to play with)
    -Gem (Get a rogue stone, king's tear, sapphire, diamond, ruby and emerald)
    -Jester (User gets 50,000 exp)

Second Draw (if first draw was a BAD card):

-Void* (Disintegrates user, save at -4)
    -Key (Get a powerful magic item, I think it's a ring of protection +3)
    -Star (Get +1 to one stat, depending on class (fight/barb/pal/ranger str,
    mage/sorc int, thief/bard dex, monk/cleric/druid wis)
    -Rogue (User is dire charmed and attacks the party until dead. Cannot be
    dispelled, so kill the person and raise him/her)
    -Sun (party gains 300,000 exp)
    -Vizier (User gets a mantle spell that lasts 24 hours)

Second Draw (if first draw was a NOT a BAD card):

-Void* (see above)
    -Magician* (user turned into a rabbit. Cure with remove curse)
    -Knight (summons 4 demon knights to duke it out. They do not drop equipment
    once killed)
    -Rogue (see above)
    -Sun (see above)
    -Vizier (see above)

Third Draw (no BAD cards yet). Note that this is the final draw you can
    pull.

-Skull (Gates in a Death Shade to play with. He attacks with +5 weapons,
    dispels magic with each hit, 100% magic resist, resists most attacks, sees
    invisible and attacks fast. Only tries to kill the user, and once the user
    is dead, leaves)
    -Moon (+10 hp permanently)
    -Talons (user permanently blinded until remove curse is cast)
    -Fool (user's Wisdom lowered to 3 + confusion (no save). remove curse to
    restore wisdom, dispel to fix the confusion)
    -Comet (5% fire resist permanently)
    -Erinyes (+1 to all stats for 24 hours, also called the Fates)

Third Draw (Bad card happened sometime along the way)

-Skull (see above)
    -Throne (party gains 1,000,000 exp)
    -Moon (see above)
    -Fool (see above)
    -Comet (see above)
    -Erinyes (see above)

If you win the gem from the cambion, you can typically just run away as soon as you know what draw you got (or even before that), but before he announces his draw. Normally, you can get out of his line of sight so that when he turns hostile he'll not attack you straight away.

Note that the Strength card in the second draw will curse you with 6 CON and STR, so you'll need a Remove Curse scroll or spell memorised. Also you'll likely be overburdened if you have 6 STR so you won't be able to move unless you prepare for it. Alternatively, you can go to the group on the top of WK as one of them offers remove curse as a service.

6. woobyluv Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hmm, thanks for the help everyone, I got it now :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.