1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game of Thrones - Season 6 *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A thread for general discussion of the 6th season, just around the corner. Since we're at the point where Martin's writing is falling behind the TV series itself, discussion of the source material is welcome as well.

One of the biggest buzzes on the internet is whether Jon Snow is truly dead after that mutiny at the end of season 5. Maybe "Ghost" is a name with loaded meaning eh? Or does Melisandre ressurect him?

I really hope Ramsay gets what's coming to him, and then some ...

2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    This season of Game of Thrones has made me hate the show.

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's not gonna get any better.

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I still need to watch the entirety of season 5, let alone 6. luckily i've been able to avoid any big spoilers on the web so far.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    You are my favorite gloomy Gus. I have been loving my Sunday nights.

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It's not gloomy if it's true. Now that they're only following GRRM's notes rather than finished books, the quality is bound to continue dropping until the inevitable conclusion, which is probably gonna suck too. But at least we're certain the series will get one, which is more than I can say for the books with GRRM's age and his healthy diet of burger smoothies or whatever the hell he's stuffing his fat face with while he's writing.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I do share your concerns. I am really wondering if Brandon Sanderson should start negotiating to finish off this series too (He finished off the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan died). I will be OK if he does finish the books and they are different than the TV show, but he really should have put some effort in to it and stayed ahead of the show. I am sure we don't have to have a financial benefit for Martin, but in my opinion he has left millions on the table by not keeping up.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    GRRM outright stated that he refuses to have anyone else finish the books, even if he dies. He'd rather drop the damn comet onto the planet and straight up kill every character than have someone else write in his stead. I don't have a whole lot of respect for the man.

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Would the publisher still be able to procure a writer if Martin passes on without consenting?

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    No, they don't own the intellectual property. I suppose whomever becomes the executor of his literary estate after he dies could potentially allow someone to finish the series, but I'm not familiar enough with US legislation to say for certain. Copyright laws are a pain in the arse, even long after the death of the author.

I wish more writers were like H. P. Lovecraft, who actively encouraged other writers to use his work and themes to further build upon the mythos.

11. Beren

Media:
    Well, the last episode was definitely predictable. But at least it provided the outcome I've waited so long for.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I agree, and I loved it. Only one more episode left this season. :(

13. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Why doesn't Jon's army have shields or spears? Why doesn't the giant have a weapon? Why can't he just break through the shield wall? Where are all the thousands of people that were supposed to be there? What is up with those shitty tactics? Who stands and waits for a shield wall to form around them?

It's like watching preschoolers stage battles. :rolleyes:

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    They were only able to hire 500 extras for the scene. I admit, I would have loved to see Wun Wun with a large mace (or a log).

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm up to the 6th episode so far and I've been groaning more or less since Jon's resurrection. What a horrible, horrible scene. Whereas pretty much everything up to this season made sense on one level or another, the awful accompanying dialogue to Jon's resurrection pretty much sums it up now: we don't know what we're doing, we don't know how we're doing it but hey, it doesn't matter, let's just keep doing it because.

Multiply that by another dozen+ major events like that one that are basically equally stupid and full of plot holes. Like a few dozen (hundred?) Greyjoy ships making off with Yara, Theon and their crew without anyone noticing. Or Littlefinger handing Sansa over to the Boltons without bothering to check who they really are. Or letting religious fanatics basically take over the city step by step without nipping it in the bud, hoping that they'll ignore you because you're rich and powerful. The khals sitting in a firetrap in a wooden house. The endless series of deus exes.

Just... :facepalm:

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hold on to your socks as the rest of the season is a wild ride.

17. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    :p

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, I've seen the entire season now and the last couple of eps are certainly an improvement over the rest of the season but they're also completely wrong and it's hard to say whether that's on purpose to differentiate from what Martin's going to do or just because that's the best that they could come up with. Martin's biggest shtick is that nobody gets what they want (or at least not in any obvious way), but the last couple of eps were pretty much exactly that -- giving the characters and the audience exactly what they wanted (more or less) and in a very obvious way.

Not bad TV... just far removed from what I'd expect from Martin.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.