1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good books/series dealing with magic?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Topken, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Are there any recent decent to great books/series that deal with magic? Magic doesn't have to be the primary element in the book ala Harry Potter but if its one of those major minor elements that is fine with me as well ala Discworld. I will be staying away from vampires/werewolves as I do not like them much. Never got into twilight or the many books it spawned with people trying to get on the Gravy Train as it were. Now if there are some books/series from the Harry Potter age that you think I may like go ahead and list them and I will take a look.

If you guys can think of some older books that would be great as well. I have read a number of books and series in the past like The Xanth Series for example. If you list a book/series that I have read I will say so and tell you my thoughts on it and that should help you with getting us more books/series. If this becomes a good thread that helps many people out that would be a good thing.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Have you read the trilogy by Lyndon Hardy starting with Master of the Five Magics? Unfortunately a quick look at Amazon makes is appear that it is out of print. As I recall it was an interesting story with a unique system of magic. I enjoyed it a lot when I read it, but that was a long time ago so it's hard to say if I would enjoy it as much today :)

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Off the top of my head....

Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson

Midkemia books(there are many, starts with Magician Apprentice) - Raymond Feist

The Black Company books - Glen Cook (one of my favorite reads - the Story of an elite Mercenary Company's dealings with some very evil wizard/powerful characters...)

Belgariad series/Mallorean Series/Elenium Series/Tamuli Series - David Eddings

"The Dwarves" series - Marcus Heitz

Elric/The Immortal - Michael Moorcock - Good Stuff!

The Shanara books - Terry Brooks

The Silmarillion - J.R.R. Tolkien (History fo Middle-Earth leading up to the 3rd Age...also read the various lost tales books that go along with the storyline, easily Googled, some written by father and some by his son Christopher...)

Also, look for books written by Robin Hobb, Terry Goodkind, David Farland, etc...

If you like D&D, there are a ton of books to read about the many campaigns like the Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Eberron, etc...

4. Topken

Blades would I be here if I didn't love D&D and I have read several of the Dragon Lance novels as well as several of the Forggotten Realm ones as well as well as The Shanara books by Terry Brooks as well as his other series Kingdom of Landover. So I will take a look at some of the others you listed if I don't already have them in my massive 6gb collection of Fantasy Books.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hey, there are a lot of BG players on this site who didn't experience the D&D world prior, so I was just making sure. I really liked The Citadels series for the Forgotten Realms. They are all stand alone novels and pretty good reads.

No gb collection for me, I prefer paperbacks. They are easier to bring into the john than my PC...:D

6. Topken

Blades I have a Nook Tablet for reading so yeah its better then trying to drag a desktop pc into the bathroom lol.

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Blades gave some excelent suggestions. Go for those books, and you won`t go wrong.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Blades gave you a list of the most popular ones but stay away from Goodkind unless you are up for some a bit too obvious political propaganda.

I would like to add Steven Eriksson and Terry Pratchett to that list as well.

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

The first 4 Goodkind books are pretty good. After that he turns the series into political propaganda, like Joacqin says. Erikson has tons of magic in his books, so he should deffinatly be on the list. Very steep learning curve in his books, though.

10. Blades of Vanatar

How did I forget Erikson & Pratchett? Doh! Thanks Joacqin!

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Trudi Canavan`s Black Magician Trilogy (i think that was what it was called), would fit too. That one takes place at a wizards guild, for the most part.

12. Topken

I mentioned Discworld Which would be Terry Pratchett lol I have Riftware so I will take a gander at those at some point in the future. Thinks for the books guys really helps to fill out my reading list lol.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.