1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gorion filed for bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, May 27, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Seriously? He gives you a whopping 100 gold. ONE HUNDRED? That's ALL he acquired during his adventuring days? Lol.
    He must have spent his money on books for the library :p
    Anyone have any ideas??

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's not all he had. What gave you that idea?

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    He only gives you 100gp to start. The game says he gives you what he can or something like that. I know you only get to start with a little gold but really? 100? Lol.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    A 100 gold is a small fortune for the average person. It's enough to buy full combat gear for a soldier or about 5000 chickens if you need an army most fowl.

It's a lot of money to have on hand, even if you are a retired adventurer, and he was in a hurry to get going.

Also, I now need to make a minimod that allows you to buy rabid chickens in Winthorp's store.

Taluntain likes this.
  5. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gorion was a monk though. Aren't they supposed to take a vow of poverty or something? Or maybe like 90% of everything he earns automatically goes to the church of Oghma.

6. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Gorion was a mage not a monk. I've never seen a monk cast wizard spells before :p

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I have. There are even prestige classes specifically tailored to multiclass monk casters. :shake:

But no, Gorion wasn't a monk, he was a Harper mage.

8. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He was a monk by profession. The game mentions it a lot.

Class is not always synonymous with one's profession/job. Not all minstrels are bards, for example, and I'm sure there's a cleric who moonlights as a circus acrobat somewhere in the realms.

9. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't recall the game mentioning anywhere that Gorion was a monk. A sage, sure, but not a monk. The scholars at Candlekeep are collectively referred to as monks though, whether they are actual monks of Oghma or not, so who knows.

10. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Just curious here, what IS the difference between a sage and a mage? BESIDES ONE LETTER to all of you who where going to say that :1eye:

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The larger question that challenges any sense of realism is how a BG2 Bhaalspawn can haul around 2,000,000+ worth of gold pieces around without both getting weighed down and having to fight three times as many battles to keep any of it.

12. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Well MINE is in my bottomless bag of holding :p

Taluntain likes this.
  13. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Portable hole.

Obviously.

14. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    The game also says that Candlekeep is "Highly regimented" so he must have been paying the guards. All 10 of them. Lol.

15. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    A sage is generally just a very wise person. For example, a common phrase is "sage advice", where sage is used as an adjective meaning prudent.

A mage may be a sage, but not every mage is a sage. Not by a long shot. :shake:

16. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Never heard of them. Are they 2nd edition? :cool:

http://www.sorcerers.net/community/index.php?threads/chicken-craze.77202/#post-827442

I love chicken but like was mentioned I think I would get tired of chicken rather quickly :p

As for the 100gp starting funds, well that's still ridiculous in my opinion. The guy was a powerful mage. He should have had a LOT more than a lousy 100gp to give you. Especially when he knew what was going on and that he probably wouldn't be back to Candlekeep either.

17. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    You assume he kept all his loot in the monetary ;-)

Chances are it was distributed across several safe houses and harper holdings to minimise the loss - the hundred or so may have simply been loose change not stored away

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

18. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    And as mentioned, he did have more than that. Just not on his person. There's a bunch of his stuff left in Candlekeep and he probably had a number of stashes all over the Sword Coast where he was planning on taking you as well. That was just some quick money for you to equip yourself with combat gear.

Also, there aren't any prestige classes in 2nd edition as far as I can recall. There's a bunch of them in 3.P though, such as Enlightened Fist and Sacred Fist.

Edit: Dammit, ninja'd by Occy while I was perusing my splats. And from a cellphone no less. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

19. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Also, his attention would have been more focused on actually getting out of there and bring you to safety, not collecting all his wealth beforehand - it makes sense for Gorion to want to be able to travel fast and light. The 100 gold would have been enough for some supplies and maybe a stay at an inn, and like mentioned he probably has caches stashed all over the sword coast to refill his purse when needed.

20. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Well of course he has stashes :cool: But I'd like to believe that others know about them and where they are if need be. Other friends and harpers that is not the enemies.
    So Jaheira should have been able to hook you up with that??
    As for Gorion being rushed and not having time to collect his things, he could have done that while you were busy buying supplies and then meeting him at his place to let him know that your ready??
    Hope I'm not irritating anyone with this whole bit. Hard to tell with just text. I just find it a little funny. He could have given you a sack-o-gems or something as well. That wouldn't take much to grab since they would probably already be in various pouches :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.