1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Half-Orc vs Dwarven Berserker

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Splunge, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In typical fashion, I’ve barely started one game, and I’m already thinking about my next one. It’s no wonder I never seem to finish a game. :rolleyes:

Anyway, one thing I’ve been thinking about is creating a berserker, with Str, Dex and Con maxed out. But I’m not sure on race – half-orc or dwarf. The dwarf seems more “classic” from a role-playing aspect, but I’m not really looking at it from that perspective; rather, I’m looking at racial bonuses:

Half-orc can get 19/18/19 in the 3 stats, vs. 18xx/17/19 for the dwarf. The difference in Str isn’t that big of a deal, as long as the dwarf’s is 18/51 or better (plus a dwarf could always use a strength belt if I really wanted to, but that would negate being able to use a different type of belt). The difference in Dex means the dwarf’s AC is worse by 1 point. However, with 19 Con, the dwarf gets a +5 bonus to magic and poison saving throws.

So to me, it boils down to what is more important – 1 AC or +5 to saving throws. My initial reaction is that it is saving throws, but I could be wrong. Does it matter whether it’s early, mid or late game? This is my first time playing a ToB game, but I’m still in the SoA part. I think I’ve read that in the ToB part, AC isn’t really all that important because the more dangerous enemies are always going to hit you regardless of AC; however, at that point your saving throws are pretty good as well.

Comments?

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Splunge - in the TOB part, none of it matters. Your saving throws are already fabulous, your THAC0 is great (so a half point of strength means nothing) and your dexterity can be raised in TOB anyway - not that the -1 makes a bloody difference - everything that matters hits you.

Realistically - the only time it matters is early on in SOA. There, the THACO bonus (plus the extra weight you can carry), along with the AC bonus, might give the half-orc a slight edge, depending on what he's equipped with. For example, if you have items that protect from spell effects (shield of harmony, helm of charm protection, etc.), then the saving throw bonus is marginalized. The dwarf could have gauntlets of dexterity and the belt of giant strength (although I can think of certain NPC's who would get a greater benefit from those items).

On the other hand, I hate the way the half-orc looks and think dwarves are cool, so there.

3. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yup. For some reason I see half-orc more as barbarians and dwarves as berserkers . . .

4. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Mostly subjective preference. I am a big fan of orcs adn will ALWAYS play one over the 'standard' fantasy races if I am allowed(Half-orcs are as close as you get in BG II). To me dwarves, elves and halflings are a big *YAWN*(and humans I steer WAY clear of if I can help it!).
    My first game of BG 2 was with a Half-orc berserker as the protagonist and things went pretty easily for me(didn't finish the game though).

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ dmc - thanks. :) You pretty much confirmed what I figured about the TOB part.

Of course, by the time I actually start my next game, I'll probably have changed my mind about what I want my PC to be. :shake:

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You know, now that Drumheller mentions it, I'm the same way:

Dwarf = Berserker
    Half-Orc = Barbarian

7. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Just to throw in an extra "consider this," if you play evil you will be able to get another +2 constitution. Does the dwarf bonus to save go up with that bonus? If so, the gain would be even greater.

That being said, I'd probably play a half-orc. The dwarven berserker is a little...done...to me. But then again, a pair of evil dwarven berserkers does sound mighty fun right about now...

8. Ghost Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

+2 constitution by being evil?

isit true?

9. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Not just from being evil, Ghost. From the evil tear of bhaal (can't remember which one). Actually there is a total of +3 constitution if you play as evil and play through ToB--the tear (greed?) and the machine of good ol' Lum the Mad. If the bonuses from constitution go up that high, it would make playing the dwarf that much better.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I'm really not quite sure what he means there. As I recall, the hell trial with Sarevok, if you take the evil path, gives you +1 to strength, and +1 to your primary stat, but in this your primary stat is strength for both a berserker and a barbarian. Lum's Machine gives you +1 to Constitution, but you don't have to be evil to use it. I have no idea what he's talking about.

However - if there was such a way to raise your constitution by 2, then yes, the bonus keeps going up. Your saves versus spells go down 1 for every 4 points of consitution you have, rounded down. So for a 19 in constitution, you get +4 to saves, but once you hit 20 it's +5.

11. Splunge

Media:
    If you take the evil path for the Fear tear, you get +2 Con.

And that's a good point, which makes the dwarf a bit more attractive (well, not literally :shake: )

12. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Sorry about the somewhat vague wording. If you put my two posts together it can make sense, but I shouldn't make you guys work that hard. :) Splunge figured out what I meant--if you take the evil path for the Fear tear, you get +2 con. Then the machine of lum the mad gives you another +1, for a total of +3. Good characters can only get the machine of lum the mad bonus, +1. So an evil character can get a fantastic constitution, and if you play as a dwarf that gives you an enormous bonus on your saves.

13. Drumheller Gems: 6/31

You'll find a certain axe in ToB that gives +1 CON when upgraded. That's 23 CON for an evil character. As a Barbarian, you'll be in hitpoint city!

14. Blue Loon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

And if it is imported from bg1 you could get another 1 con.

Can't play half-orcs in bg1.

15. Thyorna Gems: 6/31

Well also if your evil, you can use Malla's Soulstone as an item rather than giving it to her father which gives u plus 1 to your dexterity as well as your constitution negating the dwarf's disadvantages as well as giving him a whopping contitution of 24!!! :o

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Ah, the Fear Tear. I'm sorry about that - I thought you were talking about the anger test, with Sarevok. That's +1 to strength, and +1 to your primary stat, which again, is strength.

The next question comes as to what the hitpoint table looks like for constitutions like that? I know 19 is +5, and that 20 is still +5 but gives regeneration. When you start getting into the range of 23-24, I assume that the regeneration rate increases dramatically, and that you start getting bonuses beyond +5 hitpoints per level.

17. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'd say get a Dwarf Splunge. All things being equal, except for 19 STR or 19 CON, I'd say go for the extra CON. Extra hitpoints never hurt...plus Dwarves can get upto 21 CON by being evil, which means they will have free regeneration!! That's always good.

And yeah...Dwarven Berserkers are just right...like Elven Wizards, Halfling Rogues...you know...they just go together!

18. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

The regeneration won't matter... you'll find more things that will regenerate you along the way much faster than from a high CON.

I still say go for the dwarf, though.

Not only are they the coolest race, but those extra hit points, and magic/poison save bonus can't be beat!

19. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Isnt regeneration cumulative from the various sources, though? I know you'll probably say its irrelevant in the big picture, but it can be fun to make a themed character sometimes.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It certainly is. So a character with a constitution of 24, the Ring of Gaax, and wielding the upgraded Axe of the Unyielding would have a really fast regeneration rate.

EDIT: Spelling

[ September 30, 2004, 15:23: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.