1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Has any upgrade been done to make the Sword of Balduran better?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I did a quick google search but found all the other items instead. Have my hopes been shattered against the cliff side? :tie:

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I guess that gives you an excellent opportunity to make a mod yourself. Playing around with items is one of the easiest things you can do with the modding tools.

3. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't think there's any mods out there that upgrade this specific weapon.
    To be fair, the sword of balduran (at least the version from bg2) isn't all that interesting to begin with. if you want a better long sword that does fire damage you might as well pick up Angurvadal, although that's a ToB only weapon. (you could always cheat it in i suppose :p)
    The +5 version does 2-5 fire damage, sets your strength to 22 and makes you immune to level drain as well.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The sword of Balduran gives +10% MR but no fire damage unfortunately. I'm looking for +MR weapons preferably swords but any will do I guess. As for Angurvadal I have to admit I cheat it in. It gives protection vs level drain as well as the str boost and fire dmg so it's great vs trolls and vampires :)

I'm clueless on how to make a mod unfortunately. I thought about making the sword better myself but have no idea what to do or where to start :(

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  5. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Set up DLTCEP, search for your sword in the game files, and just start playing around with it. Most of the things are pretty self-explanatory.

We'll be happy to help you out with something if you're having trouble.

6. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Well now I'm a little confused about the sword. This website:

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_of_Balduran_(long_sword)

Says "The Sword of Balduran is an enchanted long sword +2 which can deal 1d8+5 points of fire damage."
    BUT in the swords little info box that appears when you click on it to bring up the properties, it mentions nothing about fire damage? What is it? Lol. The item properties in EE Keeper say nothing about the fire damage either.
    The "1d8+5 points of fire damage" would be awesome. I'm guessing it doesn't deal the additional fire damage?

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    See, that's the kind of stuff you can easily check by opening the item up in DLTCEP and looking through its extended effects.

8. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    eh, even when loading the item up in DLTCEP, i can't find any mention of fire damage.
    Wrong info on the wiki, or am i just looking in the wrong places ? (not super familiar with the use of DLTCEP)
    [​IMG]

9. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Nope, you're right. You can see in the greyed-out dropdown menu that it has no extended effects in the header. It's a plain old +2 longsword (with static equipping effects).

10. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I keep getting error messages when I try to run the program. I've uninstalled it, re-installed it. Re-dl it and do a fresh install. But I keep getting error messages :(

"There was an error while processing the effect descriptions"

"No c:bad:program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\baldur's gate ii enhanced edition\dialog.tlk found, ignoring string references."

In the "Event log" it shows:

Unknown resource: /0 in DATA/STORES.BIF (#0)
    Found 570 table(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 0 music(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 423 area(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 16006 animation(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 4324 script(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 4 biography(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 2593 bitmap(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 4 character(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 34 user interface(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 4720 creature(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 2884 dialog(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 534 external effect(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 1 game(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 56 identifiers(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 0 parameters(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 2832 item(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 572 tiled image(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 0 musiclist(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 0 movie(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 196 paperdoll(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 226 projectile(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 1556 spell(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 0 string resource(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 171 store(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 459 tileset(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 0 visual effect(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 208 videocell(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 17714 sound(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 399 wedfile(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 7 wave effect(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 2 worldmap(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 13 font(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 2 SQL script(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 1 GUI script(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 33 movie(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 3565 tile surface(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 8 shader script(s) in chitin.key.
    Found 7 table(s) not listed in chitin.key
    Found 47 animation(s) not listed in chitin.key
    Found 5 script(s) not listed in chitin.key
    Found 2 bitmap(s) not listed in chitin.key
    Found 7 creature(s) not listed in chitin.key
    Found 3 dialog(s) not listed in chitin.key
    Found 114 external effect(s) not listed in chitin.key
    Found 59 item(s) not listed in chitin.key
    Found 13 spell(s) not listed in chitin.key
    Found 4 store(s) not listed in chitin.key
    Found 10 sound(s) not listed in chitin.key
    Generating music list...
    BLANK
    Missing music (BLANK A) in musiclist.
    Found 542 musics listed in musiclists.
    Generating music list...
    BLANK
    Missing music (BLANK A) in musiclis

I am completely confused with this program. :(

11. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Open up the program, go to Setup, make sure you've selected BG(2)EE as your game type, load up BG2Effects.dat for effect descriptions if you haven't already, then click on Set WeiDU Options and select en_US (or whatever) in the Language dropdown menu (you can also select an up-to-date WeiDU compiler above if you want). If you actually wanna change descriptions and stuff, you're also gonna have to untick the Read only flag in the main Setup window under Global preferences.

That should get rid of the errors and warnings and let you edit everything properly.

12. Eyebreaker7

Media:
  13. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't see any errors, the event log just shows the initial loadup report.

And no, the window size is irrelevant. You can stretch it manually, but it doesn't matter.

Choosing the right effects file should have gotten rid of the effect processing error (although it's possible there was an error introduced in 7.7j), but if you can see the effect descriptions normally on items and spells, then it doesn't matter either way.

Selecting a language should have gotten rid of the dialog.tlk error and allow the software to load up game strings.

The rest doesn't matter.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  14. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    The window wont let me stretch it more for some strange reason. Quite odd and annoying at the same time. Lol
    Am I missing any options that are "off screen" to that box? Or will it be ok as is?

---

Well it somehow loaded right this time but boy oh boy is it confusing. Lol
    I'm trying to figure out how to make a Katana of the Ages instead of a flail. Poking around and finding nothing that makes any kind of sense :borg:

---

Sorry I don't mean it loaded right as far as the box opening fully. I mean no errors.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  15. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I could tell you how to do it, but that way you won't really learn anything useful. It's best if you find an existing katana and compare its values to the flail. That way you'll be able to see how different weapons work and where they differ from each other. If there are things you don't understand, feel free to ask.

16. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I have no idea where to start so I'll take a guess. Lol
    General properties: Item type: I see "dagger", "small sword", "big sword", "great sword", "bastard sword.
    Nothing about a long sword, scimitar or katana? What do they fall under?
    I see all of them under the "proficiencys" drop down as well as the "paperdoll animations ID" though.

17. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Evidently, you did not do what I said you should do. :p

There is no katana item type, there is only big sword. It defines how the game treats the weapon (e.g. which slot you can equip it into).

Proficiency field defines which weapon proficiency points will affect the weapon.

Paperdoll animation is the sprite that shows up on your character when you open up the inventory (it's not actually animated).

18. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I took a look at the katana Malakar and the Flail of the Ages+5 but I don't know how I'm supposed to understand any of it. Lol.
    This is what I see:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Valygar_Corthala/flail_zpsfrh4wfwy.jpg

and I am totally confused. I'm confused about all the info on all the tabs but this one is probably the worst one.
    Also is there a way to compare 2 items without having to load each item 1 at a time and have to close out the other because you can only have 1 loaded at a time? Switching back and forth sure doesn't help any :p

19. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Open up two editors?

Anyway, that item is an exception in that it has to provide immunity to a whole bunch of crap, hence the gorillion equipping effects.

Effects are fairly easy to understand though. Most of the time you can tell what they do at a glance (e.g. protection from spell with the filename sppr105).

That said, when modding items, you'll want to take a look at existing effects and learn how to change or create them yourself.

There are a lot of fields in the effect editor window and many of them work exactly the same for every effect. Others are explained in the effect description when required.

20. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Well I've spent the past couple of days trying to make some sort of sense out of the items using DLTCEP all with nothing but frustration :(
    Sorry Keneth. :bang:
    I've tried comparing items but I just don't understand the effects text. It makes no sense.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.