1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Has any upgrade been done to make the Sword of Balduran better?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Rome wasn't built in a day. :shake:

I've been studying IE for years and I'm still learning new stuff on every project I undertake.

DLTCEP can certainly be overwhelming, but it's the tool for developing most content for IE games.

Most of us old-timey modders have had the benefit of researching file structures to begin with and then later working with somewhat easier tools like Infinity Engine Editor Pro (IEEP) which is now deprecated. They were limited, but at the same time, the lack of functionality meant fewer things to worry about and a cleaner interface.

Feel free to ask more questions. Alternatively, you could look up some tutorials for item creation in DLTCEP. Since you're not a game designer and you've never modded IE before, that might be a more prudent course of action than trying to figure it out on your own.

2. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    How do I understand what each of the Equipping Effects means? The Sword of Balduran shows:

[​IMG]

How do understand what any Equipping Effects means? They make zero sense. "Colour Set" "Character colours"? "by Palette [7]"? "(0xe6 0x14)?

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, you can't tell much from just the name. I mean, you can't. I can easily tell that it's an effect that that changes the color of the weapon grip to the gradient 0xE6 (230).

"Color" is the effect group, "Set Character colours by Palette" is the effect, "[7]" is the effect number (its numerical representation), and the hex values represent the color gradient and location.

I don't know what's with the large gradient values though. There's no such thing as an 0xE6 gradient in the default engine, but I suppose they use 1PP's extended palette in EE.

Of course, that doesn't really do you any good. You need to click the Edit button on the right to get to the actual input fields with the effect description and everything.

This is the important (and slightly scary) part.

[​IMG]

If you can master this and extended effects, you can make pretty much any item in the game.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yours has "Location" and mine has "IDS File" why is that? Did I do something wrong?

5. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Actually re-looking at it there are a couple difs. Is it because of the item loaded?

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    No, it's because it's a different effect. It wouldn't make any sense for that effect to have a color gradient or location field. If you open one of the color effects, the fields will be the same.

7. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Can you give me info on what to do to turn it into the sword described in the wiki:

The Sword of Balduran is an enchanted long sword +2 which can deal 1d8+5 points of fire damage. It gives the wielder a lore bonus of 10 points and 10% magical resistance. It has -4 THAC0 bonus, a speed factor of 2 and it weighs 4 lbs.

I would also like to make it +4 if possible?

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Which properties are missing? The fire damage and +4 bonus?

To make it a +4 weapon, make sure to change the Magic Level in General Properties to 4. You can set the THAC0 and damage bonus in Extended Effects to whatever you like.

To give it fire damage, go to Extended Effects, click on the Add button (the one above the Effect # dropdown, not the one at the top), then click the Edit button on the left.

In the effect editor window, select effect #12 (HP: Damage) from the dropdown. Put 5 in the Damage Amount field and 1 and 8 in the Dice fields (next to Type).

To set the damage type to fire, put 524288 in the Type field. You can also click on explode and set it to 0080 if you prefer (less chance of error).

The description also says it can deal fire damage, so maybe you want it to only deal fire damage 20% of the time. To do that, just change the probability fields to 0-20.

When you're happy with it, click on Exit. Make sure everything else is how you want it to be (e.g. speed factor in the Speed field) and save the file.

9. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Sorry i didn't reply sooner. Finally got around to testing it and seem,s to work :)
    Thanks Ken
    Is there an easy way to turn the Flail of the Ages +5 into a katana?

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Depends on what you consider easy. You'd need to change the item type, proficiency type, usability flags, icons, animation sequence, and possibly a minor detail here and there (like damage dice and speed factor if you wanna be accurate). Equipping and extended effects shouldn't need changing though, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.