1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Health Care?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Old One, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

I have been getting mail telling me my open enrollment for health care will not last very long so I decided to see what I could do. I call the health care line and was answered quite promptly. I answered the questions asked and was told I did not qualify for health care! When I asked why I was told the range for care started at $14000 and subsides went from the 14 to 45 thousand dollar range. Since I also did not qualify for Tenncare I was informed I was exempt from the health care requirement and would receive an exemption number in the mail. I really thought the person was just trying to get me off the phone but guess again. I picked up the last few days mail and there was me exemption number to use on my tax form when I filed. It seems in spite of what was touted as health care for the poor it is for people earning a fair income. The people who would really need Obama Care are to poor to get it! Comments anyone?

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've always found it fascinating that the States can't establish a proper UHC program and how few people actually cared (or were even against it).

It doesn't surprise me though. Capitalism and democracy at their finest.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Below $14,000 you are eligible for Medicaid -- which is free of charge. Since you are covered by Medicaid you do not need to pay for health care. You just need to apply for Medicaid.

The Affordable Care Act was to provide health care for those who did not qualify for Medicaid and were too young for Medicare -- so yes, it is for people earning a "fair income."

4. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

@ T2 Bruno
    Not qualified for Medicare until October and if I understood right (and I might not have) it will take a chunk out of my SS check. I was also informed I did not qualify for Medicaid when I tried to apply. I will try again tomorrow and try to get my ex up here to talk to them and to explain to me what is said. I hope, from past experience with your posts you are, right. Thanks man!

@ Keneth
    Right you are now although TennCare was very good until the law profession got involved and cost went up so high a large percentage of people were removed. Me being one. I know a lot of our members are in the law profession but people here are smarter then average and would have foreseen that happening! No offence all.:-D

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It depends on the number of dependents. It may be closer to $12,000 for one dependent. But the lower limit of the health care law was the upper limit of Medicaid (it was supposed to be at any rate). Often I find the quality of the answer depends on the quality of the person you ask. I'd recommend you have the exemption number with you.

6. Old One

@T2Bruno
    I will and I'm much under $12,000 so I'll see. There's just me so it is one dependent, the fed gets unreasonable when claiming the dog and cat! Thanks for your input.

7. T2Bruno

Media:
    It's state to state. Check here:

https://www.healthcare.gov/medicaid-chip/getting-medicaid-chip/

On the left is a section called "Find out if you qualify for Medicaid and CHIP". Right now, everything I'm looking at states you either need to be disabled or taking care of someone who is disabled (not sure to what extent). You will be eligible to sign up for Medicare starting in July (based on your b-day on your profile). That's both good and bad ... good that it's not very far off (coverage would start in October with no delay if you sign up early enough), bad because the government is basically saying "don't get sick or hurt until then."

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  8. Old One

@T2Bruno
    Tennessee is one of the states that did not do the Medicaid expansion so I am ineligible for Medicaid because of where I live. You were right about the cutoff level and in most states I could get the service and start to see a doctor again. Thanks again for your help and I'll keep trying. I did get a few more numbers to try so still have hope. It's a ***** becoming poor! :-(

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    My company just started a new fiscal year for health insurance. My premium is going up around $250 a month. Thanks Obama.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No such thing as a free band-aid?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.