1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help a BoM Member in Need

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ladies and Gentlemen of the Boards o' Magick community:

For those of you who may not have followed 8people's blog, you should be aware that her condition is making it difficult for her to properly attend to her studies at the university. She needs an electric wheelchair and doesn't have the means to cover the expense herself.

When we have a member in need, we like to do what we can to help. That is why we are asking for people to donate what they can to help defray the costs of a new chair. We're not telling anyone that they need to do this, and no one will think negatively of anyone who doesn't participate for any reason whatsoever. That being said, if you do participate, please understand that you will have 8people's heartfelt thanks and the good feeling of helping someone else.

We asked 8people to put together a brief summary of where she's at, which we reproduce here:

I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, Type 3: Hypermobility. This means I have a genetic condition that affects the soft tissues in my body - mainly the tissues holding my joints together. It is a condition that has got worse as I have gotten older and now affects every joint in my body. I ended up on crutches at a young age where I kept falling over and five years ago ended up in a wheelchair where walking was getting too difficult. I have now reached the point where I can no longer push myself in my chair and I can no longer lean on crutches.

I'm living on my own to attend university and my immobility is getting in the way of my studies, I am often too tired or hurting to be able to have my full attention in class. I need an electric chair that can handle the awkward roads and paving of where I live so I can get to my university and other places around the town.

A new wheelchair would make a huge difference for me, so I would be incredibly grateful for any help towards it.

While 8people has indicated that she intends to pay everyone back, please understand that she is on an extremely tight budget and that it may take quite a while or in the worst case, not be possible at all. Consequently all donations should be considered as such and not as loans.

Initially the idea was to collect donations directly to 8people's PayPal account, but as she's hit some snags with setting that up, we'll be accepting donations to the SP account and forward her the money afterwards.

The full cost of a suitable wheelchair for 8people's needs is very large; in the region of 10k USD. While it is unlikely that we'll be able to cover more than a portion of that expense, we're aiming at collecting at least $1000 to get her started.

For my part, I'll start it off by donating $50 and setting up 8people with a lifetime SPS account. Additionally, all the BoM members who donate and don't have a custom avatar/portrait + title yet (or want to change) will be able to select them as a small thank-you from the SP team.

* * *​

Now, to sum up this long post in a few words:

1. We are collecting donations for a new electric wheelchair that one of our members, 8people, needs to be able to move around without too many restrictions.

2. Donations collected to the SP PayPal account will be forwarded to 8people.

3. Please list your BoM user name in the donation notes so that we know who to thank!

4. Donate via PayPal here. Having a PayPal account is NOT required to donate.

If you would like to send money to 8people some other way, please contact her via a private message.

If anyone has any questions, please post them in this thread.

Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    Deathmage likes this.
  2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    But...I've already offered my services to make her a motorized wheelchair that could cruise along at a modest 3mph....or 100mph with a pull of a leaver. :p

I'm kind of poor since I did my X-Mas shopping this week...but I can spare $20 right now. :D

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 37 seconds later... ----------

$20 has been sent...

Taluntain and Splunge like this.
  3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'll be offended if you even attempt to pay me back!

---------- Added 0 hours, 12 minutes and 35 seconds later... ----------

Just a thought Tal, could you update us on the total?

Taluntain likes this.
  4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I promise not to be offended if she tries to pay you back, Silvery! :p

Taluntain, T2Bruno and Splunge like this.
  5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Silvery, definitely, I'll be keeping this thread updated as donations come in.

Currently $20 has come in from Kitrax, $100 from Montresor and $100 from Silvery.

The current total is $270 (along with my $50).

We're off to a great start!

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I hope what I sent helps, 8!

Taluntain, T2Bruno and Splunge like this.
  7. Taluntain

Media:
    $50 from Saber now makes the total $320.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Oh great...now I look like a cheapskate! :rolleyes:

I'll send more once I get paid!!!

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Any kind of donations are very welcome, even if only $5 - every bit helps!

10. Mereinid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Total needed

If I may ask, what is the total needed for the little lady to have her chair free and clear?

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know that a specific chair has been identified, but in the original post it was estimated to be in the region of $10K for the type of chair she needs. Perhaps 8people has something more concrete in the way of a figure...

Taluntain likes this.
  12. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Times like these, I'm really proud to be a member of this community.

13. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's just brought a bit of a tear to my eye! It is an amazing group we've got here. Even though the majority haven't met, we're friends as opposed to just people who have a common interest.

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Hi guys, I just want to thank everyone for their support. I really don't know what to say.

As for the final cost, I'm still looking around and asking questions, but so far the total Tal posted has been one of the most reasonable. That is, for a chair that can handle the city where I live without me requiring further assistance.

I'm currently trying to arrange a few things that will help ease up the finances on my end and my family is helping to put aside money for me in the New Year. Have been given a mountain of paperwork! :lol: I have finally been able to get the university to accept my proof of disability and have spoken to a financial advisor who believes I may be entitled to help paying for my rent which will allow me to put more of my own money towards this as well.

I honestly cannot thank you guys enough, you have done so much for me.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks to a $100 donation by Gaear, our total is now $420! :)

16. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Kilted Crusader has added $30 to the cause, which brings the total to $450!

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks to a VERY generous donation of $200 by Blackthorne TA, the total is now $650! :thumb:

18. Silvery

Media:
    Hmmph, gonna have to wait 'til my tenents pay their rent to beat that! :lol:

19. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Chipped in a little, here's hoping we reach the magical $1000 mark!

Taluntain and Splunge like this.
  20. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks to Cap'n CJ's $50 contribution, we're now at the $700 mark!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.