1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

HotU

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Khazraj, Dec 1, 2003.

1. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Install new drivers and the latest directx. Works fine on my comp, and my comp has a hard time breaking 70fps is counter-strike, a 4 year old game. Also you could try reinstalling NWN and repatch all of it, because you could have gotten some bad files in there. I have also noticed that NWN in general will bog down after a couple hours of playing, so you will need to restart your comp every little bit. I don't mind that though, I need a little fresh air every once in awhile. :D

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Use the ¬ Key in game and type fps, that will tell you how much fps you have, I think though that like that other guy said it uses a lot of processor power so if your pro sucks then the game will suck "I suppose. If its a huge problem then just turn the graphics down, I have mine on full but still if its really affecting your gp then turn it down.
    @spellbound

3. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I got a crash within the first few minutes (completely fatal - needed to use reset button) but since then I have had no problem.

Spellbound : What spec computer do you have? The minimum spec for HotU is greater than NWN or SoU - new models have higher poly counts and battles tend to be far larger with lots of big effects.

4. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I've got plenty of power to deal with this game. Had no trouble whatsoever with SoU or NWN originally. Specs -- Athlon 1.2 Ghz, 512 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce MX 420.

However, I did need to re-install NWN, after a system crash from a virus that I experienced a few months back. I didn't re-install the patch--wonder if that's the problem.

Fade -- I've got all the lastest drivers and DirectX as well.

Monkey -- the game does a configuration match up and checks to see if you have the necessary setup to run the game. I had no problem there. I also checked the manual--my specs exceed what is required in every aspect.

5. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I have a p4 2.2 with 756 ram and 64mb of video memory. It will chug on my computer unless I turn the graphics down. The reason is my video card, for it is an integrated geforce. And I hate to break it to you but the mx 420 is a horrible card. I am honestly surprised that it didn't chug at all on NWN and SoU.

The recommend comp specs for HotU are:

1.3ghz+
    512ram+
    64mb+ video card

Your computer barely meets those, and generally it is a good idea to make sure you have quite a bit higher, because their opinions of what can run it are never right.

If it is major chugging though it still could be a bad install. Could possibly be a bad driver install too, so you will want to reinstall all your drivers, and then reinstall NWN.

6. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you've installed HotU it will bring NWN up to date with patches (although a new patch will be out soon).

The only thing I can think of is that you have AA or anisotropic filtering on in your display settings. I doubt this would be the case (esp. as this would cause slow down on all games not just HotU).

Also my computer (Athlon 800, 512mb RAM, 128mb GeForce 4 Ti4200) used to have terrible 3d performance due which was down to incorrect driver installation and proved very difficult to fix however I'm sure that was an old driver issue and if you are up to date it shouldnt be a problem.

Have you tried running 3D Mark and comparing your score with similar spec computers?

Sorry I couldn't give more help.

Note: I haven't tried HotU on my computer yet (I'm staying at a friends house until Christmas) but have tried it on a 3GHz super computer so you can't tell much from that.

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Spellbound, it is no wonder you have that problem, your pc is very low spec so grab a ti4600 and a 2.5 Barton and an extra 512ram and it will run just fine ;) . Anyway, before hotu came out although I hated NWN with a passion I decided to give it another go, this time playing SoU as well and to be honest my opinions of the game has changed a lot and no longer hate it. The game is decent, I am very happy with hotu indeed it’s a bunch better, and it was cool to see the Beholders and Illithids again.

8. Spellbound

I just bought an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card this afternoon... this had better do it.

Edit.... Problem solved. This card better be good for awhile....I hate how they up the system reqs for these games. When will it ever stop... :rolleyes:

[ December 12, 2003, 06:36: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Games are one of main driving forces of computer development. It'll never stop (or not for many, many years to come anyway). That's the whole point. ;)

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I will say that all the banter Bioware added between you and the NPC's is great. Right now my Fighter 9/Weapon Master 10 is traveling with Deekin (he's great) and Linu, and their banters and dialogues are very cool. It looks like I've had a few romancedy dialogues so far, but I could be wrong.

The story is great, and many of you know my favorite aspect of games like this is....*drumroll*...STUFF!! :D I love finding new and cool magic items and using them to make my character an even bigger bad ass, and I find so many cool and unique magic items I don't know what to do with them all. Good thing I have a 400lbs carrying weight right now. What really gets me stoked is that I'm only in Undermountain Level 3. Boo yah.

Great expansion to an already great game. The best yet, by far.

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe, my inventory is full of magic stuff and gadgets I might use sometime.

Planning to create a Fighter/Dwarven Defender(/Weaponmaster). Perhaps a greedy one, so I would have a good reason to carry the loot with me. :D

12. Spellbound

I've resurrected Daelan, but he has no weapons. Will he stay like that for the whole game? I tried giving him an axe--didn't work. He's currently using his fists. :aww:

13. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

[​IMG] Here's a FAMOUS acronym. Learn it. Memorize it. FOLLOW it.

RTFM

The third word is the one you think it is, not really "Read the Flippin' Manual"!

> I've resurrected Daelan, but he has no weapons. Will he stay like that for the whole game? I tried giving him an axe--didn't work

Of course not. Like I said, it's in the game manual. Read for comprehension for a change.

:mad:

14. Spellbound

Kiwi.... who the hell do you think you are? Keep your rude behavior to yourself and YOU read the forum rules here.

I've read the manual and found his axe in inventory, but whether I had read it or not doesn't give you the license to speak to people in such a manner. You've only got 22 posts.... so you're new.....I suggest you learn how people treat each other here---with a degree of civility that seems to have escaped you.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] @Kiwi,

If you read the rules like you were asked upon registration, you would realize that one of our most important rules here is that there are to be no attacks of a personal nature upon any other member of SP. I often reserve warnings even for violations of this rule to PMs. However, the flagrancy of your comments merits a public warning.

If you can't observe civility towards other members of SP, your stay in SP will be a short one.

Consider yourself duly warned and put on notice.

16. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

On henchmen: You can talk to them and ask to see their inventory. From there, you can edit their equipment as you see fit.

For added convenience, you can assign the command to access your henchmen's inventory to a quickslot.

Right click on a slot, select Assign Commands, and select Inventory.

17. Spellbound

Shura... thanks very much for your reply. ;) I've got him his axe now and am just looking for some suitable armour. (It was amazing, however, to see how good the guy did with just his fists!) :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.