1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you keep a Kensai alive?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    (s)he can't wear armor or bracers so (s)he is kinda crippled? How do you keep a Kensai from being meat?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Reload or reroll.

3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Every class has advantages/disadvantages. Kensais can do the most non-magical damage out of any class, but survivability-wise yep they're just like mages with really high HP and minus the spell protections.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  4. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

You need a tank to take the attention of the enemies. Send the Kensai in a few seconds after the tank to start dishing out damage, left, right and centre.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

18 Dex, 2 slots in 1-weapon style, any equipment which improves AC(Ring of Earth Control, Ring of Protection, Cloak of the Sewers, etc...) spell buffs from other party members like Protection from Evil, Barkskin, etc... If you are not going to dual him TO a mage, I have created a Mage and dualed him to Kensai at level 7. Lower HPs, but you get Shield, Mirror Image, Stoneskin, etc.... He was still viable in ToB as the reinforcements for the tank. Quite fun actually.

6. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Definitely 18 dex.
    1 weapon style? What weapon does he use? Celestial fury maybe?
    Definitely the ring of Gaxx!

I have to admit I always cheat in the ring of Gaxx. I never remember where the liches are.

What level would you recomend I switch him to a mage and why not later?

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Switch at 7, 9 or 13. 7 if you want to reactivate the kensai ASAP. It gives you an extra half attack per round at level 7. 9 if you are relatively eager to reactivate kensai, but are planning your build such that you want the extra weapon proficiency that comes every third level of a fighter type.

13 is if you don't mind not reactivating kensai for a while. You get the extra half attack at 7, extra weapon proficiencies at 9 and 12, and a final extra half attack at 13.

8. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Thank you dmc. Gives me something to think about :)

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Don't let him get hit. Invis Potions help a lot I find. And dual kensai from a thief at 13 works pretty strong

10. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Should I switch him to a Mage or another spell casting class? Cleric? Druid? Why whichever class you think is best?
    I just had Valygar disappear from being attacked by beholders. I don't know how because he had the Shield of Balduran? I sent him in alone and was back looking over the other party members when I came back out to the over view screen I noticed he was gone. Lol. I've been wanting to make a Kensai/??? anyway so I didn't reload. Sorry Valygar :(
    Also Blades of Vanatar what weapon would you recommend as his single weapon prof?
    I thought I had asked this before but I don't see it. :cool:

Do the 2-handed weapon prof and the single weapon prof stack together?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  11. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mage gives you the most defensive spells. Kensai-druid/cleric is nice only if you originally wanted a cleric or a druid, otherwise avoid these classes. Taking cleric/druid levels can prevent you from using most edged weapons.

Valygar probably got petrified and shattered. I've heard cases of beholder rays/effects sometimes not getting reflected by the Shield of Balduran for years now, it's supposedly some mod's fault but it happens so rarely its difficult to reproduce. Normally I would just advice you to reload.

Two-handed weapon and single weapon style don't stack. I'd advise dual-wielding instead of using a single or two-handed weapon until you get fighter HLAs. For weapons pick longswords. They're everywhere and most of them have unique and powerful enchantments. After that you can pretty much use whatever you want, really. All item types are well represented in BG2, though some enchanted weapon types (bastard Swords, halberds) only start to appear after Chapter 3. Popular choices include katanas (for high base damage and Celestial Fury), Flails (for crushing damage/variety, and the Flail of the Ages), scimitars (Belm and the Spectral Brand), bastard swords (high base damage, a few decent ones in the Underdark and a few really good ones in ToB), two-handed swords, halberds and staves (the Staff of the Magi, a favorite among Kensai-Mages).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  12. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Thanks for the input. I decided to go mage :)

13. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Did Valygar vanish in the Beholder dungeon in the Underdark? One of the Elder Orbs there casts Imprisonment, which the Shield of Balduran doesn't protect against.

The Shield doesn't always reflect Beholder rays, which is a bug in itself, but I've never heard of them getting past the shield.

14. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Yes it was in the Beholder section of the Underdark.:(

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are two main ways to go for a kensai-mage: two-handed weapon and dual welding (single weapon is okay for the AC bonus but you sacrifice too much offensive power for it).

Two handed weapons are the most powerful in the game. There is an extremely powerful staff in ToB (and a couple of good one in SoA as well). It also opens up two-handed swords and halberds (two-handed swords are awesome). Staves will serve you well throughout the game.

Dual welding makes a character an offensive powerhouse. Choose katanas and scimitars (or short swords). Katanas are good for Celestial Fury and Dak'kon's Zerth Blade. You can dual weld katana's (which looks cool) but DZB will boost spell use and CF is just fun. If you are going to make a fighting mage then you want to get either Kundane (shortsword) or Belm (scimitar), you don't need to put much proficiency in these but they will give you an extra attack with your main hand.

Common tactics include buffing your kensai to the hilt and then slice and dice. Stoneskin (4th level mage spell) is critical and Tensor's Transformation (6th level mage spell) turns your mage into the near-ultimate fighter.

To add to dmc's post: To me 9th level is the best to dual for most players -- you get the max hit points and the extra proficiency point is a good thing. Going to 13th just takes too long to regain your fighting ability: a 9th level kensai/10th level mage is 500,000 xp while a 13th level kensai/14th level mage is 2,750,000 xp. You lose nearly 4 levels of mage later on for the 13 levels of kensai as opposed to losing only one level of mage for 9 levels of kensai. That's just too muc of a price to pay.

16. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

side note*** I incldued 1-W style only because the OP asked for ways to keep him alive, which improving AC is an obvious way to do so.

If I were to go 1-W style, I would go with the various 1-H swords, LS/SC/KA/BS, chossing particular weapons for the various opponents. Belm is nice when fighting oppponents that don't require a certain + to hit them, CF is just plain nasty, etc...

BUT, yes, I would choose Dual-wield otherwise for more ATs and various status effects that the extra weapons can offer.

17. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Eyebreaker, if you lost Valygar in the Beholder section of the Underdark, try casting Freedom in the area he disappeared. Most likely one of the Elder Orbs cast Imprisonment on Valygar (they do that if you don't kill them fast enough). Elder Orbs cast normal spells, which are not affected by the shield of Balduran.

As for dualling, dualling at Kensai lvl 9 makes a lot of sense, as getting to lvl 13 is a full million xp more than lvl 9 for fighters.
    For end levels, however, it doesn't matter nearly as much if you dual to a mage.
    8 mln - 1.25 mln = 6.75 mln (= xp cap - 13 Fighter levels).
    Mage lvl 28 requires also 6.75 mln xp. Interestingly, lvl 28 is also the last level you actually get extra spells. A lvl 31 mage will have exactly the same amount of spells to cast as a lvl 28 mage.

Dualling at lvl 9, you'll be able to reach lvl 30 as a mage. Not much difference, then, by the end of the game. A much bigger difference at the beginning of the game, though, so if you only have the Kensai/Mage as prospective mage in your party, you might want to dual at lvl 9 already.

18. T2Bruno

Media:
    Blades: You never use Belm or Kundane because of what damage they can do, only for the extra attack from the main hand weapon (there is certainly an argument that a better off-hand weapon can negate the benefits of Belm or Kundane).

henkie: You're assuming the player will max out xp. I've never had a party max out; it's more like 5 million xp for a party of six. The difference between a 18th level mage and a 22nd level mage is huge.

19. Blades of Vanatar

I was referring to 1-H use only. Belm is an excellent choice if you are a Kensai using 1-H style for the AC boost and better critical option. The damage a Kensai produces is mostly from his Proficiency, Class and Str bonuses. Belm adds another AT/round at +2 damage from the weapon itself. Other weapon types that don't produce the extra AT/round are usually only +1 or +2 higher in magical quality. I prefer the extra AT/round, especially when fighting against spellcasters or against nemies that don't have a resistance to the various levels of + magical weapons. Boots of Speed plus Belm allows you to be all over enemy spellcasters instantly.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  20. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    What weapon is Kundane? I don't recall seeing it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.