1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you kill the Crystal Golem?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by faro, Oct 17, 2009.

1. faro Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How do you kill the Crystal Golem in the Ice Palace in chapter 2, I cant find anything to hurt him? PLEASE HELP!

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Blunt weapons. They get a massive damage bonus and are just about the only things that can hit them. You should have found a random scroll on some corpse that was the high priestess telling the formian giants to stop throwing rocks at her "delicate" crystal golems, and that was the hint.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    In order to make it crystal clear that you want to pass, you need to be blunt with them. They are too dumb and obstinate for anything else to work.

starfox64 likes this.
  4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    That was dreadful Slick

5. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Sling rocks count as blunt weapons too.

IIRC, Crystal golems might require +1 blunt weapons. Also I think +5 weapons of any kind can hurt them. But it's been over a year since I've actually played IWD2...

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

High strength combined with rapid shot and the throwing axe you found in the troll's cave work very well.

7. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Blunt weapons work, but there's quite a difference between melee and ranged blunt weapons. Blunt melee weapons cause 20 extra damage per hit, while ranged just causes normal damage. Any +4 weapon of any kind will also work, although you still need both melee and blunt to score the extra damage per hit.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I just went through that area over the weekend. My Raging, Buffed Half-Orc Barbarian with a +1 Warhammer made short work of them.

9. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I don't think just any blunt weapons work, though. My +1 Mace of Flame or whatever it's called (1d8+1, +1d6 flame damage) that I got from Yquog gets physical damage to the golems reduced by 5, but has 10 damage added to the fire damage, so it works nicely. My Warhammer +2 (+1d4 electrical damage) gets a +20 damage bonus vs. the golems for physical damage, and +0 for the electrical. Sling bullets are almost entirely ineffective, and the +1 returning "Dullcobble's axe" (correction: Haft Over Head) does minimal damage too.

Usually I engage with the decoy, have one of my Drow cast Faerie Fire, and then send everybody with decent STR in with melee weapons to finish it off quickly.

-Max

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    It's really not hard to take them out with the right weapon though.

11. Sir Rechet

That's not a Crystal Golem you're whacking there, that's an Ice Golem Champion. They do receive extra damage from fiery hits just as you describe.

12. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Good point--I noticed last night that the golems in question were "champion" something but I hadn't noticed they weren't "Crystal" at all. That explains the fire damage vulnerability.

-Max

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just out of curiousity, does the spells "Shout" or "Great Shout" do extra damage to the Crystal Golems?

14. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Wont they not be affected at all, being Golems and all? I thought all golems were invulnerable to magic?

15. Blades of Vanatar

You're probably right, but since it is "Sonic" magic, most Gem/Crystalline creatures in the Wotc books take extra damage from "Sonic" type magic, I was wondering if they built it into IWD2 as well.

16. Sir Rechet

Never tested myself, but considering those golems wear a "ring" that makes them immune to all spells, it comes down to how the coders have categorized the stuff in the game. Is a spell that creates something physical -- a shockwave in this case -- to be considered a spell or a physical attack? Just for the sake of coding efficiency I'd assume the first, but hey, it certainly wouldn't be the only quirky piece of implementation in IWD2. (cf. Spell Resistance.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.