1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you upgrade the Mace of D?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, May 5, 2014.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Use the Illithium you get in another quest to upgrade the weapon with Cromwell.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ah yes good sir. You are correct. Sorry for the trouble. My feeble mind forgot. :cool:

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't mind ;)

Have a look here. Scroll down until you see the "Baldur's Gate II & Throne of Bhaal FAQ/Walkthrough by Dan Simpson". That guide has all the answers you seek ;)

6. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I have the "Versus Books Perfect Guide" for both SoA and the ToB but it doesn't cover everything like they say it does. Like little things such as upgrading the Mace of Disruption. Or even anything about the quest to get the materials to do so. In the back of the book they list "every" item in the game and what their code is. Doesn't. The material to upgrade the mace being one thing that is never covered in any way whether it be for the mace or the sculpture.
    It does however have maps for almost everything also. They help out a lot, for me anyway. :p

It does not talk about the fight to get the Staff of the Magi at all. That fight I found by accident. Man it is impossible for me. Lol. I have never beat it.

I have however d/l the guide you suggested and will refer to that for things my "official" book doesn't cover.

7. henkie

Media:
    In the twisted rune fight, first thing to do is to discover the hidden door to the left of where you start. Hide your party there, preferably as far to the left as you can. Save (also save before you enter this area). Go forward with one of your guys until the thingie start and the lich appears. As soon as you've finished talking to the lich, run back to the rest of the party.

From that start, just try to pick them off one by one. For the lich start with someone inching forward until he sees you and fires off some sequencer and protections. Pelt him with arrows (or any other ranged weapons). Run away as soon as it looks like he's starting to cast time stop. If you run away quickly enough, he'll not do anything and the time stop will be wasted.

Just continue like this until you've worn him down. If he casts protection from magical weapons or some such, just run away and hide until it wears off.

Then lure the others to your place one by one. Put the shield of balduran on one of your characters and let him/her handle the beholder.

Use the same tactics as for the lich for the last mage. Appear, run away as she casts some spell. Normally she'll gate in a demon at some point, and if you're not within visual range, she'll just start flinging all her spells at the demon instead.

It takes a bit of patience, but with this tactic it's not that hard to do.

8. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I'll have to remember this. Where exactly is this place? I'm pretty sure it's in the bridge district?

9. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

The twisted Rune fight is located in a house between a derelict house and the bar in the bridge district. That one house is where a man dressed in red is located (part of a different quest). The twisted rune building has two doors one is for a lich the other is for the twisted rune. The door is trapped, locked, and it requires you to have something for you to enter.

In the twisted rune fight my best bet was using yoshimo for traps. By laying as many traps as possible in the area where you come in you may be able to kill the lich before he even gets to attack which makes things a lot easier. Yoshimo is actually amazing in a lot of fights for this very reason.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had a cavalier with Carsomyr the first time I did the twisted rune. A single hit kill (critical hit, maxed) on the demon that mage summoned helped but the holy avenger just makes every mage/lich battle easy. Minsc had azuredge and the shield of Balduran. I didn't have any buffing spells on when I went in and still smoked the place.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Be aware that hiding in the secret room may not work with a smarter AI, especially if you used the SCS mod.

12. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    What is the "SCS mod"?

13. henkie

Media:
    SCS = Sword Coast Stratagems.

Blades will be able to tell you more about what it actually does, I like my AI dumb ;)

14. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

SCS = Very large mod that adds content, changes content, changes AI, the way spellcasters pre-buff for battle, changes monster abilities/toughness, etc... mostly everything is optional when instaling. IMHO it's the best mod out there.... well, it's a close 2nd behind "Dungeon be Gone".

15. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Still never found the Staff of the Magi, don't even know where it is. Never got Crom Fayr legitimately, can't find the hammer of thunderbolts. Never did Kangaxx either. And I've played many times :o

16. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I know the feeling damedog. I always have to cheat in the Staff of the Magi, Crom Faeyr, and the Ring of Gaxx.
    The staff is somewhere in the bridge district in one of the unmarked buildings. I don't remember which one. You need a rogue stone to get in I think which shouldn't be a problem. It's one hell of a fight so be ready for ANYTHING. If I recall correctly there's a lich; a beholder; one of those 6 armed demon/devils and a couple other things I'm forgetting. Only ever tried it twice and got my ass handed to me both times. Lol. Although I think I'll give it another run now that I have some tips/pointers. Thanks for them guys. Much appreciated. I just have to find the right building :p

Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Hammer of Thunderbolts is in the Mind Flayer dungeon that you access from the sewers. It's a different one than the one in the Underdark. Some times it lets me open the hidden door and other times it wont. It's along the top of the sewers wall if that helps. I never go after it because Mind Flayers are about the only thing I hate more than Vampires. Man I am such a wimp. Lol. Gonna give that another try too.

Also the sewers is where you enter Mekrath's Tower to get Haer Dalis'

Hope at least some of this makes sense and helps :tobattle:

**Forgot to mention that these sewers are the same ones you get to from the temple district where you do the Cult of the Unseeing Eye quest. That is also where you can pick up Keldorn if you want. He's after the Cult quest as well.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  17. henkie

Media:
    The staff of magi is protected by a lich, a beholder, a vampire, a fighter and a mage. The mage will normally summon the demon.

The hammer of thunderbolts is indeed in the mind flayer dungeon in the sewers in the temple district. To open the door to that dungeon, you need a key that Tazog (I think that's his name) drops in Firkraag's lair.
    The scroll of crom faeyr is dropped by the shadow dragon.
    The gauntlets of ogre strength are dropped by one of the halflings in the Sphere in the slums.
    The girdle of frost giant strength is dropped by one of the demon knights that spawn when you sacrifice some summons on the demon altar in the kuo-toan tunnels in the underdark.

It's kind of complicated.

18. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

At lower levels use animate dead against mind flayers as undead are immune to their abilities. At higher levels I like to use mordenkainens sword. More damage and they can never kill it. The rest of the party should stay at range and you can use things like chaotic commands to ensure that they can't dominate you.

19. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Man, i've been missing out on an entertaining fight by not going for that staff. Might roll up a F/T just to make use of it :)

20. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Just so you know the staff of the magi cannot be used to back stab. Sadly since it lacks being usable by the thief it cannot back stab despite being a staff. As far as I know this was not changed for EE either.

It is still incredibly useful just not for back stabs.

Just wanted to make sure you know if you did not know already.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.