1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How I turned my mage into a two fisted engine of destruction

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by ArtEChoke, Dec 14, 2001.

1. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] Here it is, my mage is cleaning up the floor with his enemies, and I'm at a relatively early point in the game (I think). Dakkon and Mort can't compete with the body count that the nameless one is piling up here.

He currently has 3 proficiency points in Fists, so he gets 1.5 attacks per round (I liked the "Fists of Iron" spell). However, as a mage he misses out on all of the nifty magic knuckles and punch daggers out there.

Nice opportunity found: "The Gauntlets of Teeth" (I won't spoil how to find them, unless someone absolutely needs to know.) Nice weapon, +1 weapon, +2 to hit, 2-8 slashing, 1-2 crushing, or something like that. Also its cursed, once you equip it, you cannot unequip it.

So I switched Nameless into a fighter, slapped on the guantlets (got that nice little cursed sound) and switched him back to a mage: sure enough, they stayed equipped.

So now my mage has a nice set of boxing gloves to duke it out with the enemy, then I decided to try it in conjunction with the spell, "Fists of Iron" (+3 to hit, +6 to damage on 'normal' punch attacks). Lo and behold, it added all of that on top of what the gloves already do!

In a combat round where I use that combination, Nameless does on the average about 18 damage per hit.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] This is awsome!!!

This is Dan Simpson's worst nightmare: exploit of rules and not munchkin bug exploit!

:thumb up: ArtEChoke!

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] He'd be turning in his grave! Oh wait, he's not dead yet. Extremist, have you been slacking on us? :p :grin: :p

4. herf Guest

Aertechoke, one problem, lets see ya try to level up :p
    If you don't already know, you can't level up without removing the cursed item first, so you have to remove the gauntlets, level up, then change to fighter again, equip the gauntlets and again change back to mage, a lot of bother eh?
    And I think your missing the point :p
    Mages are meant to be in the back row firing magic missiles, acid arrows and swarms of flies at the enemy, not pummeling them :p
    Although it is about the only way to get that multi-cass feeling :D
    I suppose we can let it slide this time.

5. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Ok, well I don't know abut the levelling up issue, I've levelled up as a fighter (trying to get to 2 attacks per round before switching back) and not had any problems.

I will post or edit in here when I do level up as a mage with the nifty-fun-gloves and report in if there's any problems.

Mages are supposed to be in the back? How can you say that with great spells at your disposal like "Balance in all things" which requires you to take a hit from your enemies. Besides this has been working out great, he can hang back and cast spells, and then jump into the melee and break heads.

[This message has been edited by ArtEChoke (edited December 14, 2001).]

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well... Balance in All Things is Dak'kon's and he's a fighter/mage...

7. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Well Dak'kon can learn it, but so can the Nameless one. In fact in the game I'm playing Nameless was actually able to cast it before Dak'kon.

PROGRESS EDIT HERE:
    Ok as far as I'm concerned its official, I've levelled up a couple of times and the cursed gloves have caused no problems with the levelling screen. So there you have it, mages kick ass.

[This message has been edited by ArtEChoke (edited December 15, 2001).]

8. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Balance in all things,hmm, that reminds me of how i took out 10 lesser varguiloues (sp) in one hit. I had half my hit points left and had just used my last spell ,balance in all things (this was the first time i had used it because i prefer to balst everything with magic missiles). 1 lesser varguiloue (sp) hit me and next thing i know all 10 are lying on the ground and N.O. has levelled up. Now it is one of my most used spells.

[This message has been edited by Lazy Bonzo (edited December 22, 2001).]

9. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

[​IMG] Just one last update on the "Fightin' Mage" style I was going for:

SPOILERS ETC.

Ok, I finished the game (why did this game sell so poorly? Its much better than BG2! But I digress...).

I used the Gauntlets of Teeth in conjunction with Fist of Iron through the entire game, and in fact killed the Transcendant One using that combo (yes I'm proud of that fact).

There were only a couple of points where the strategy got stretched past its limit:

1. Cornugons; they demand a +2 weapon or better to hit, the gloves are only +1, interestingly enough, the bonus damage still came through (even while the Nameless One is saying, "Damn weapon doesn't work!" hehe) so he could still fight them, just not as devastating.

2. The Demon from Moridor's box; This guy is one tough customer! I *ran out of spells* fighting him, and actually had to remove curse myself, and equip Ravel's fingernail to kill him!

Also as a side note, the combination does even more damage than I first reported.

The normal damage is 3-8 slashing + 1-2 crushing. The adition of the spell Fist of Iron adds +6 to *both* types of damage. So everytime he hits, he's dishing out 9-14 + 7-8 damage at +3 to hit, so its really at par with any of the really good magical weapons (or better) that I've encountered in the game, and it really outshines magic missle as an offensive spell as one casting of it can last a long time (I could crush alot more enemies this way, rather than one shot and the spell is gone!)

[This message has been edited by ArtEChoke (edited December 31, 2001).]

10. Yemeth Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Can't you change the entropy blade and Celestial Fire into gauntlets? Those two weapons would probably cause more damage. And they're at least +2 enchantment.

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You get those (cursed) gauntlets a waaaaaay earlier than those two items.
    That's what this is all about.

12. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Also, the key was that the Bone Gauntlets were cursed, and that because they were, when you change nameless to a Mage, he can't unequip them, so he can continue to use them.

I don't know about Celestial Fire (I never got it) but the entropy blade wasn't cursed if I remember correctly.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wasnt able to levelup as a mage with the gloves ecquiped in the PST game I am playing now :(
    When I accept the level up a window comes that I only can choose cancel in and then I am back on the level up screen. I had to alt-f4 to exit the game =(
    Thank god for PST autosaves, they are plentyful.
    I dont have the patch and it could be it...

14. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] No, I've got the patch and it didn't work for me either. I had to unequip them before levelling up, level up, memorise my extra spells, become a fighter, re-equip the gloves and become a mage again. A rather lengthy process, but I think it's worth it :evil:

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Worked for me after applying the patch :D

16. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] Dammit...

If you uninstall PS:T and then later reinstall it, do you need to reinstall the patch as well? This could be my problem...

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Of course you need to reinstall that as well after you reinstall the game.

18. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] Thanks... some games automatically reinstall the patch when you reinstall them, y'see.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.