1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to build The Nameless One?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Duke Eltan, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I haven´t played PS:T for a very long time and I dont remember to much of it. And I actually dont remember to much good of it. Although, after reading the "Identity of The Nameless One" thread I couldn´t stop my arm from reaching after the install disc. Which made me post this.

IIRC you can change "class" as you go along back and fourth and so on and so on. So my problem is: On what stats shall I spend points?
    I mean, there aren´t really any expendable ones as in the BG games. Con is good for regeneration, Dex is a must if you want to be able to do certain stuff, Int (or wis, cant remember) gives you more exp. And since I might want to change between the classes I would want a high Str aswell so I´ll be able to hit and cause damage while playing fighter.

So, anyone got any helpful tips for both class choices and where to put my startingpoints. Plus what to do with the points you get when leveling up.

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Wisdom is by far the most important stat. It gives you more experience and lots of extra dialogue options.

Here's my favorite way to start out:

Str: 9
    Dex: 12
    Con: 11
    Wis: 18
    Int: 13
    Cha: 14

I may have missed a point or two. If so, put that where you want.

3. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Okay, I couldn´t wait to start out so I spent them like this:

Str: 9
    Dex: 9
    Con: 12
    Wis: 18
    Int: 18
    Cha: 9

I´m gonna go with mage, as you might´ve figured out :) . But I´ve only gotten to the fourth room in the Mortuary so if there is some change that has to be done I´m willing to start over. The Cha for example, why the 14?

4. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've always had good results with

Str 9
    Dex 9
    Con 9
    Int 13
    Wis 18
    Chr 17

Switch to thief as soon as possible as they level up the fastest. Then keep increasing Wis till you get 25. Then increase Chr to 20 (infinite money). Then increase Int to 18 so you can get every memory. Then increase Con to 25.

5. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Infinite money?

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I believe there's a bug in the game, where if your charisma is high enough, a store will pay you more money for an item than it will ask you to buy it.

So sell ye' ole axe of death for 10000, and buy it back for 5000, repeat.

At least that's what I think he was alluding to.

7. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Allright, but if you´re gonna cheat why not just give yourself the money with an editor and put the points on something else?

I didn´t ask for cheats, they are easy enough to find if I ever wanted to. So if you dont have any real tips please spare me the comments.

Thanks

8. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I chose these stats in the beginning and changed class to mage after 5th fighter level, and so far I've enjoyed the game with this character.
    Str 9
    Dex 9
    Con 15 (boost)
    Int 16 (boost, until it's 19)
    Wis 16 (boost)
    Cha 9

I thought that PS:T has much fighting (I had played BGs and IWDs before), so I spent many points in constitution. High physical stats aren't necessary at all, because (almost) everything depends from playing style.

edit: 700th post

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Unlike the other BI/Bioware games, PST actually has a lot of dialogue options and chances for bonus xp if your Cha is high enough.

Also, you will notice a noticeable change in prices for things.

10. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Yeah, I remeber that fighting wasn´t the biggest part unlike the other games from bioware and fells.

Although I just realized that you´ve spent 23 points and you get 21. So would:
    Str 9
    Con 9
    Dex 9
    Wis 18
    Int 16
    Cha 14
    do if I´m gonna play mage?

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31

It would.

I usually like to up dex a little bit as a mage:

Str-9
    Dex-12
    Con-9
    Int-13
    Wis-18
    Cha-14

12. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Okay, but when I played around checking what 18 would give me I dont think you got extra AC from dex until you raised it to 15. Which gave you -1 to AC. -2 at 16 and so on.

Also, with only 13 in Int how many spells can you memorize and to what level?

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31

By the time you meet Mebbeth to become a mage, you should have a few more levels on you and you gain a stat point every level.

14. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Sweet, I didn´t think it was every level.
    For once I´m glad memory didn´t serve :)

Thanks for the help Rastor!

15. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

be a mage.

int 15 (don't need to add a lot, as there are lots of those wonderful rats (or flies?) adding +1 temporarily)
    wis 18 (goes to 25 even only from possible non-level-up upgrades, so don't add except for the character creation)
    char as high as you can get
    don't bother with str, con and dex too much, later you will have enough even for them.

P.S. I played as a fighter with the above recipe (except I had con of 14 and low charisma (10) - not that good, but I was able to do nearly all of the plot stuff.

P.S.2: There was a way to get around the need to spent a lot of points to get trough exceptional strength (you need a lot of level-ups to get from 18 to 19). I managed to get 18 str at level 6, and as soon as I levelled to level 7, I got to 19 because of the fighter class level 7 bonus. (or was it level 12? I don't think so, but...)

16. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Can anyone recommend a build if I wish to have TNO stay as a Fighter throughout the game?

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31

The first build I posted is the one that I found to work best, Shura.

If you want more strength though, take some points from int.

18. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Though it can be fun to start with a high strength (15+ I think), so you have the *reach out and strangle the dustman* option right away...

19. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Actually that option to 'reach out and snap the dusties neck' is always available IIRC however it's success requires a DEX (not strength) of 13 (maybe 12) and above.

20. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Wasn't it a 100% Black Isle (May they rest in peace) game?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.